Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 02:42 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times

Advertisements

You guys are cracking me up. Thanks for saving me from an otherwise horribly boring day at work. From someone that lives in none of the regions mentioned, you have to realize how silly you all sound. My city is better than your city, nah nah nah! Did it ever occur to you guys that we are all free to choose wherever we want to live? So, you can live in a NE city with it's mature infrastructure and 4 seasons, or live in a booming town in the SW desert. It's all about what you prefer. One is not better than the other, it's simply a matter of preference. Aren't you glad we all don't want to live in the same place, it would get quite ugly I do believe!

Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
You guys are cracking me up. Thanks for saving me from an otherwise horribly boring day at work. From someone that lives in none of the regions mentioned, you have to realize how silly you all sound. My city is better than your city, nah nah nah! Did it ever occur to you guys that we are all free to choose wherever we want to live? So, you can live in a NE city with it's mature infrastructure and 4 seasons, or live in a booming town in the SW desert. It's all about what you prefer. One is not better than the other, it's simply a matter of preference. Aren't you glad we all don't want to live in the same place, it would get quite ugly I do believe!
It may be stupid, but it's fun.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:48 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
You come to NYC and you'll see people in trench coats and business suits walking at 3AM (actual NYC residents).
What kind of people in trench coats & business suits lurk around NYC at three in the morning? Oh, yeah ... the mob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino
That's really great, and I hope that you find more success in pushing for those things. However, while you continue to be up-and-coming, just try not to get too pretentious and insult great American cities that have been around since before this country was founded, because they're already up-and-came. Think of it at it as respecting your elders.
Fine. I won't put down NYC or the east coast anymore as long as easterners quit bashing Phoenix & other sun belt cities. And that includes the media too. When New York based Fox Sports broadcast the 2001 World Series (Diamondbacks vs. Yankees), the sportscasters made snide remarks about Phoenix ... saying things like "howdy from the desert", "I'll be dad burned", etc. Never mind that the DBacks WON the Series ... it was all about the Yankees, and how much the network could ridicule Arizona.

Oh, and respect has to be EARNED. East coast people who sound blunt and pushy certainly don't sound respectful in my opinion ... nor do they sound very respectful to the majority of the nation. The world doesn't revolve around New York or Philly. The large population shift has been to the west and south over the past few decades to escape the dreary east.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
What kind of people in trench coats & business suits lurk around NYC at three in the morning? Oh, yeah ... the mob!

Fine. I won't put down NYC or the east coast anymore as long as easterners quit bashing Phoenix & other sun belt cities. And that includes the media too. When New York based Fox Sports broadcast the 2001 World Series (Diamondbacks vs. Yankees), the sportscasters made snide remarks about Phoenix ... saying things like "howdy from the desert", "I'll be dad burned", etc. Never mind that the DBacks WON the Series ... it was all about the Yankees, and how much the network could ridicule Arizona.

Oh, and respect has to be EARNED. East coast people who sound blunt and pushy certainly don't sound respectful in my opinion ... nor do they sound very respectful to the majority of the nation. The world doesn't revolve around New York or Philly. The large population shift has been to the west and south over the past few decades to escape the dreary east.

Eventually the population will shift west and it will be more brown. This scares the crap out of people back east who have grown accustomed to living in the status quo. Fact of the matter is whites just arn't having enough children, and the north east coast just is not that desirable to those looking for an alternative to city life. No surprise to me that the southwest's economy is growning, california has more than 10% of the nations population, and Las vegas and phx have seen massive population increases.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
When New York based Fox Sports broadcast the 2001 World Series (Diamondbacks vs. Yankees), the sportscasters made snide remarks about Phoenix ... saying things like "howdy from the desert", "I'll be dad burned", etc. Never mind that the DBacks WON the Series ... it was all about the Yankees, and how much the network could ridicule Arizona.
Thats not bad. So am I to get mad when the D-Cracks broadcast from Chicago and say "howdy from the Windy City"? Puh-frickin-leeze, lighten up! And who cares if they say theyll get burned? Thats a fact of life in that furnace called PHX.

The Yankees are a historied team. No matter how many World Series the D-Cracks might win, theyll never amount to the Yankees. The Yankees are as American as apple pie and Chevrolet, and they have a HUGE following. The D-Cracks, however, are just another expansion team (yawn) that play in a bland warehouse-shaped stadium in the middle of the Sonoran Desert. The Yankees were playing pro baseball in 1901, thats even before AZ was a state for Pete's sake! The people of NY and people who are sports traditionalists will understand how special a team like the Yankees are. D-Crack bandwagon jumpers wont ever understand that until the team itself is over 100 years old, THEN you can speak. Who cares if the D-Cracks won, does that make them better? If you think so, let me count the WS victories that the Yanks have under their belt.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats not bad. So am I to get mad when the D-Cracks broadcast from Chicago and say "howdy from the Windy City"? Puh-frickin-leeze, lighten up! And who cares if they say theyll get burned? Thats a fact of life in that furnace called PHX.

The Yankees are a historied team. No matter how many World Series the D-Cracks might win, theyll never amount to the Yankees. The Yankees are as American as apple pie and Chevrolet, and they have a HUGE following. The D-Cracks, however, are just another expansion team (yawn) that play in a bland warehouse-shaped stadium in the middle of the Sonoran Desert. The Yankees were playing pro baseball in 1901, thats even before AZ was a state for Pete's sake! The people of NY and people who are sports traditionalists will understand how special a team like the Yankees are. D-Crack bandwagon jumpers wont ever understand that until the team itself is over 100 years old, THEN you can speak. Who cares if the D-Cracks won, does that make them better? If you think so, let me count the WS victories that the Yanks have under their belt.
Thats funny comming from a cubs fan.....

Old 08-29-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Eventually the population will shift west and it will be more brown. This scares the crap out of people back east who have grown accustomed to living in the status quo. Fact of the matter is whites just arn't having enough children, and the north east coast just is not that desirable to those looking for an alternative to city life. No surprise to me that the southwest's economy is growning, california has more than 10% of the nations population, and Las vegas and phx have seen massive population increases.

I'm so sick of you holding CA's population over every other state. The only reason CA has such a large population is because of its size, but in reality, it's one of the LEAST dense states in the country.

Actually, the East Coast is the fastest growing region in the country. The Southeast is THE fastest growing region, and NYC is the 2nd fastest growing CITY. Info. from the Census.

The Northeast is one of the more deisrable areas in the country to raise a family. Nothing is better mentally and educationally than living in the NYC area. Kids who grow up here will be business executives someday due to the opportunities this area offers. The Northeast is home to the country's, and world's, best colleges and universities. We're diverse and open-minded, which is what I would want my kids to be... Out in the world being invloved with different people and cultures.

CA is losing it's American population quicker than any other state.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe. I have seen groups like that at night around a black Lincoln Towne Car. Or maybe they're just businessmen. Either way, they're out in the city that late/early, they're a part of the activity and energy of late night in NYC.

Quote:

Oh, come on. "Howdy from Phoenix" is nothing compared to what Dodgers announcers said about the Cubs and Chicago. They said something like "living in Chicago is punishment enough." Don't whine when ya'll wetern folks ain't innocent niether. Howdy ya'll! Yeeehaw!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:11 PM

And Valley Native, don't act like the East is some depressed hole. We happen to be alive and well. NYC is actually the nation's 2nd fastest growing city behind another EASTERN city called Atlanta.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I'm so sick of you holding CA's population over every other state. The only reason CA has such a large population is because of its size, but in reality, it's one of the LEAST dense states in the country.

Actually, the East Coast is the fastest growing region in the country. The Southeast is THE fastest growing region, and NYC is the 2nd fastest growing CITY. Info. from the Census.

The Northeast is one of the more deisrable areas in the country to raise a family. Nothing is better mentally and educationally than living in the NYC area. Kids who grow up here will be business executives someday due to the opportunities this area offers. The Northeast is home to the country's, and world's, best colleges and universities. We're diverse and open-minded, which is what I would want my kids to be... Out in the world being invloved with different people and cultures.

CA is losing it's American population quicker than any other state.

Well i have to disagree according to this:The fastest growing U.S. cities - Jun. 28, 2007

the fastest growing cities all lie west of the mississippi, save jacksonville and charlotte. And this article was from june. New York added more people than any city, do you think these people all came from america???
And please give me a break with that kids will grow up and be business exec's one day garbage. Kids there will also grow up to be garbagemen, purse snatchers, and brooklyn chimney sweeps. Just imagine what would have happend if a bunch of new age silicon valley types had followed that logic. and the northeast has the best colleges, well they should theyve been at it since the 1600's. What should be putting you to shame is the fact that your universities are competitive with the likes of the UC Berkeley, UCLA, stanford, pepperdine,usc and other universities founded after the civil war.

Infact here is another link for you to eat up, usnews as we all know does rankings every year of america's top colleges.USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2008: National Universities: Top Schools

as you can clearly see stanford, 4th fiddle only to yale , harvard, and princeton.Not bad.california institute of technology at number 5...no surprise there. thats the highest ranked "tech" school.and guess what they OUTRANKED MIT. So enjoy that. UC BERKELEY number 21 and the highest ranked "public" university...no surprise there. UCLA number 25 third highest public school out done only by berkeley and university of virginia. So besides the "big 3" ivy schools no college outranked stanford, and no public school outranked berkeley. I think our universities are doing just fine

We are just as diverse and open minded as anyone else. they don't coin the terms "hollywood liberals" and "bay area liberals" or "left coast" for nothing.
And we arn't loosing our "american" population faster than any other state, the white population perhaps, particularly the less afluent less liberal types but hey thats how the cookie crumbles. Doesn't change the fact that our economy is the larest in the country and is larger than many european countries economies for that matter. Doesn't make us any less american besides to your kind of types. most importantly though, we are californian's welcoming to anyone from anywhere because over 50% of the states population was not born here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.