Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 09:46 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Well i have to disagree according to this:The fastest growing U.S. cities - Jun. 28, 2007

the fastest growing cities all lie west of the mississippi, save jacksonville and charlotte. And this article was from june. New York added more people than any city, do you think these people all came from america???
And please give me a break with that kids will grow up and be business exec's one day garbage. Kids there will also grow up to be garbagemen, purse snatchers, and brooklyn chimney sweeps. Just imagine what would have happend if a bunch of new age silicon valley types had followed that logic. and the northeast has the best colleges, well they should theyve been at it since the 1600's. What should be putting you to shame is the fact that your universities are competitive with the likes of the UC Berkeley, UCLA, stanford, pepperdine,usc and other universities founded after the civil war.

Infact here is another link for you to eat up, usnews as we all know does rankings every year of america's top colleges.USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2008: National Universities: Top Schools

as you can clearly see stanford, 4th fiddle only to yale , harvard, and princeton.Not bad.california institute of technology at number 5...no surprise there. thats the highest ranked "tech" school.and guess what they OUTRANKED MIT. So enjoy that. UC BERKELEY number 21 and the highest ranked "public" university...no surprise there. UCLA number 25 third highest public school out done only by berkeley and university of virginia. So besides the "big 3" ivy schools no college outranked stanford, and no public school outranked berkeley. I think our universities are doing just fine

We are just as diverse and open minded as anyone else. they don't coin the terms "hollywood liberals" and "bay area liberals" or "left coast" for nothing.
And we arn't loosing our "american" population faster than any other state, the white population perhaps, particularly the less afluent less liberal types but hey thats how the cookie crumbles. Doesn't change the fact that our economy is the larest in the country and is larger than many european countries economies for that matter. Doesn't make us any less american besides to your kind of types. most importantly though, we are californian's welcoming to anyone from anywhere because over 50% of the states population was not born here.
Oh, sorry, so we are THE fastest growing city according to your source.

Here's the paragraph untouched, copied and pasted straight from your source...
"But if you answered New York, you were also correct. With 205,750 new citizens, Gotham added more residents than any city in the United States since 2000. That's enough new New Yorkers to fill a city the size of Boise, Idaho, bringing its total number to 8,214,826 - an all-time high."

Percentage-wise, we aren't #1, but we are not a depressed, slow-growing, hole. We gained more population than any other city. And to you, that seems most important because you obviously don't care about density or percentages, and have no knowledge of statistics whatsoever because you always bring up CA's population as greater than NY's even though we have a denser population state-wide.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,014 times
yes you guys gained the most residents but the article points out..but it also points out that percentage wise its penuts. whats another 200,000 to 8 million? ft worth texas saw 20 percent growth, now thats real growth. you'd think with a city of 8 million people new york could muster up a better public universites than california "where americans are leaving"..but i guess not...

Old 08-29-2007, 10:24 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,265 times
Quote:
yes you guys gained the most residents but the article points out..but it also points out that percentage wise its penuts. whats another 200,000 to 8 million? ft worth texas saw 20 percent growth, now thats real growth. you'd think with a city of 8 million people new york could muster up a better public universites than california "where americans are leaving"..but i guess not...
We have great universities. West Point, Cloumbia, NYU, etc.

And isn't Berkely up near SF? If you want to do it state-wide then you can add Cornell, UB, and SUNY to us.

Percentages don't matter when talking about city growth. If Fort Worth can't top 200,000, they'll never grow to be larger than NYC. We will always be the largest city with the most financial, business, media, and cultural power. Weather does not make for a great city, nor does scenery. We had a thread closed in the NEW YORK CITY forum due to Los Angeles trolls. Keep your NYC hating to yourself, and we won't have a problem. Fair enough?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
We have great universities. West Point, Cloumbia, NYU, etc.

And isn't Berkely up near SF? If you want to do it state-wide then you can add Cornell, UB, and SUNY to us.

Percentages don't matter when talking about city growth. If Fort Worth can't top 200,000, they'll never grow to be larger than NYC. We will always be the largest city with the most financial, business, media, and cultural power. Weather does not make for a great city, nor does scenery. We had a thread closed in the NEW YORK CITY forum due to Los Angeles trolls. Keep your NYC hating to yourself, and we won't have a problem. Fair enough?
None of thoe private schools out rank stanford and none of those public out rank berkeley or UCLA. ive never been to a new york forum so i can't say. particularly because ive only experienced new york visiting family in manhattan and as a tourist in manhattan . New york is a one in a million place i agree and alot of business and meida and financial power..that circulates amongst the same group of people.impressive, but the rest ants on a hill, and living ontop of one another as such.Ill take the venture capitalism of the westcoast. financial risk takers willing to sacrafice it all in the chase of the california dream. the types that may not be head of the economy..more like the cajones. .. As the saying goes great place to visit but i wouldnt want to live there. thats my feelings on new york. You can have your pastrami sandwich at 4am,random trenchcoat guy and businessman alike. ill take the peice and quiet of my street that has had single family homes depreciate into the 750,000$ price range.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:21 PM

well i went to the new york threads just to look and i find it funny, they are complaining about the exact same things people complain about in LA...

landlords who dont speak english and dont repair things
the lack of a decent life style for the middle class
people missing "the old new york"

Old 08-30-2007, 01:11 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,145 times
Yeah, people are the same everywhere.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The graves of the Founders of this country. The Constitution was signed in Philadelphia. Without the events in the East, the United States and the West would not exist!

In its heart, NYC is a blue collar town. LA is a white collar town which accounts for the fakeness, etc. Be proud of it! At least NYC isn't fake at all. NYC has LA beat in the intensity department.
L. A. is a white collar town? Where are all the office towers? N.Y. is the most pencil-pushingest town in the world. Intensity? Please, that's called living in crampt quarters! Fake? You know,.. the people who live in L. A. don't much care about fighting these kinds of interchanges here with the rest of us. I'm here defending my hometown, so I can say things like, "L. A. is not a small, fake, lazy, clueless, insignificant place. Los Angeles is less gentrified and more blue collar than New York ever was." People in L. A. didn't have a port. Santa Monica was considered but San Pedro was chosen and they built what became the largest port complex in the nation. It's not a natural location, it's a completely man made area, unlike New York harbor or San Francisco Bay. There was no water in the area for expansion into the San Fernando valley, so it went hundreds of miles away for it. People in L. A. famously don't depend on others for their transportation, riding around in vehicles driven or piloted by others, smelling everyone else while laying doilies on their laps. Angelenos are responsible for their own transportation, and they don't have people waiting to open their doors for them when they get home. (Like little babies.) There's nothing fake about the City of Angels. Even the special effects are real. It's a self made town! And, as the largest city in the largest state in the nation- (California, which is still growing faster than the national average because of international immigration, legal and illegal, and attaining a population of 45 to 65 million by 2030)- Los Angeles will continue to grow. You think those Chinese and Vietnamese and Phillipinos and Mexicans and Salvadorans and Koreans and Japanese and British and Iranians and everyone else show up because a head of lettuce seems so appealing? You think those people are going to live in the Coachella Valley? Not everyone picks lettuce. That land will be set aside for agriculture, not housing. 80 percent of the water used in California is for farming, so if Los Angeles continues to grow, little New York, which receives everything it eats by truck, will be paying quite the high price to do so. Talk about dependent! I don't know of a more vulnerable location. The city of Los Angeles is an economic priority over agricuture, so water will always go to it. Baseball. It's also good for baseball when a small organization like Arizona wins the world series. For the record: New York has had great teams over the years, not because of heart or being well bred in some way, but because the Yankees has been run like a rich, successful business over their history. Where's the storied 'cultcha' in being able to buy players left and right? That's not even characterized as 'sports'. That's called business, and is sooooo boring. One team is supposed to win all the time? Much better when a small team overcomes the overbloated fat lady of the league. Then again, they just might be able to purchase a World Series this year.... it's been 6 years!

Last edited by milquetoast; 08-30-2007 at 02:55 AM..

Old 08-30-2007, 03:05 AM

FutureCop, I went out last night myself, to Pure at Caesars, met up with Paris, and we got drunk and had a chicken wing eating contest, sponsered by the company that makes her hair extensions. Then we walked the strip at around 4 am. Lit up like the sun and packed with people and traffic and no one in sight wearing a trench coat. Still 80 degrees at that time of the morning. Those trench coat people of yours might actually be the mob. Like Tony Soprano! I worry about you, FutureCop. Approach them and ya might get whacked, yaknowhatImean?

Old 08-30-2007, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Oh, sorry, so we are THE fastest growing city according to your source.

Here's the paragraph untouched, copied and pasted straight from your source...
"But if you answered New York, you were also correct. With 205,750 new citizens, Gotham added more residents than any city in the United States since 2000. That's enough new New Yorkers to fill a city the size of Boise, Idaho, bringing its total number to 8,214,826 - an all-time high."

What's funny about this CNN poll, just a few months old, is that it lists Los Angeles at a population more than 200,000 less than what it has now! So, over 200,000 in a few months time, how's that for growth?

Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
None of thoe private schools out rank stanford and none of those public out rank berkeley or UCLA.
You're up and down the entire west coast there skipper. You can have 2 of the top 15 premiere west coast universities , and New York can relax knowing that its surrounded by1-2-3 lets make it 11 of the top universities in the usa, and the first choice everyone goes running for is NYC. NYC gets the best of the best and the rest of the country gets to fight over the castoffs.

1. Princeton University (NJ)

2. Harvard University (MA)

3. Yale University(CT)

4. Stanford University(CA)

5. University of Pennsylvania

5. California Institute of Technology

7. Massachusetts Institute of Technology

8. Duke University(NC)

9. Columbia University(NY)

9. University of Chicago

11. Dartmouth College(NH)

12. Washington University in St. Louis

12. Cornell University(NY)

14. Brown University

15.Johns Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether
As the saying goes great place to visit but i wouldnt want to live there. thats my feelings on new york. You can have your pastrami sandwich at 4am,random trenchcoat guy and businessman alike. ill take the peice and quiet of my street that has had single family homes depreciate into the 750,000$ price range.

And of course NYC has no LA type quiet suburbs where homes average $750K.

The Top 15 Counties Over 250,000 in the US with the Highest Median Family Income

(suburban NYC)

1. Fairfax County, VA ( 90,194)
2. Montgomery County, MD (90,187)
3. Morris County, NJ (90,168)*
4. Howard County, MD (90,157)
5. Monmouth County, NJ (90,148)*
6. Somerset County, NJ (90,133)*
7. Westchester County, NY (89,249)*
8. Chester County, PA (88,164)
9. San Mateo County, CA (87,762)
10. Nassau County, NY (87,558)*
11. Fairfield County, CT (87,434)*
12. Rockland County, NY (86,624)*
13. Santa Clara County, CA (85,581)
14. Norfolk County, MA (85,091)
15. Bergen County NJ (85,000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether
As the saying goes great place to visit but i wouldnt want to live there. thats my feelings on new york.
Sounds like you want to compare NYC's low-end grit, hustle and bustle with the high-end laid back suburban features of Cali.. You wouldn't have an agenda would you? Selected amnesia perhaps? Dont get it twisted NYC and the east coast is filled with incredible affluent,leafy, peaceful places to live.Just as So Cal and NO Cal have large swaths of poverty and grit that you seem to be unable to come to grips with.

Lets try and keep it real here. 8 of the 15 wealthiest counties in the usa are suburbs of NYC. 13 of the top 15 are suburbs of NYC-DC Philly-Bos..

Last edited by rainrock; 08-30-2007 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.