Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 11:05 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times

Advertisements

Fellow City-Data.com forummers, I'd like for you to share your thoughts on life in desert climate cities. In addition, I would like some feedback from those with asthma or someone close to an asthmatic who could tell us whether desert cities such as Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, and Albuquerque are good or bad for people with such lung conditions.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 11:15 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Well I think that depends on the individual's specific respiratory history. We lived in Yuma in the early 60's and although we enjoyed the climate there, my poor Mother almost died from the dust storms which were bad in fall and winter. She had a tremendous allergy and sinus problem. The doctors even told here she shouldn't live in the desert. She always looked forward to travelling to San Diego or Monterey where she could get relief.

In short, I had no trouble in Az since I don't have those problems to any great extent (thank God!), but once again it depends on the individual.
When we moved back to Shreveport, she didn't seem to get much better because of the high humidity. So it could have been a condition she had since birth, dunno.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:57 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
When my great grandfather was diagnosed with Asthma, the doctor told him to leave Southern California and move to either Arizona or Southern Utah.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:02 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation releases it "Asthma Capitals" report every year for metro areas.

The ten best cities are:
Colorado Springs
San Francisco
Minneapolis
Daytona Beach
Fort Myers
Melbourne, FL
Spokane, WA
West Palm Beach, FL
Seattle, WA
Sarasota, FL

-see where metros rank here:
http://aafa.org/pdfs/FinalPublicList__AC___2008.pdf

Old 10-26-2008, 10:09 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation releases it "Asthma Capitals" report every year for metro areas.

The ten best cities are:
Colorado Springs
San Francisco
Minneapolis
Daytona Beach
Fort Myers
Melbourne, FL
Spokane, WA
West Palm Beach, FL
Seattle, WA
Sarasota, FL

According to the poll, it seems like western cities fair pretty well for asthmatics. Btw, thanks for the link.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,043 times
I remember when i lived in NY (where I was born and raised) its a high humidity state. I lived in a roach infected home; i was always with allergy and asthma. Allergies are a trigger for asthma for me. If I was sumware like the muggy subway in NY I will get allergy then asthma. Humidity, dust mites, mildew and mold all give me allergies then asthma. Also If I go sumware and it stinks like rili gross such as urine smell or someones underarm I get allergy quick then asthma. I remember that when i dont drink water for a long time then finally drink water i start breathing really hard like short of breath.
In Denver CO there isn't much humidity pretty dry out here not like Arizona though. But it's pretty high altitude. When I'm somewhere and someone stinks like really really bad again like urine or mildew or strong underarm odor I get a really bad allergy and could turn into asthma. Also if birds start flying around me I'll get an allergy quick. I ALWAYS get allergy in the bus when it's muggy also when the bus or someone stinks bad. I remember wen i was staying at a friends home. Her home was roach infected; i stayed sick with allergy and asthma. When I got away from her home finally in my own place NO ROACHES i did not get allergy nor asthma. Like in NY wen i take too long to hydrate and i drink water finally like really fast i get short of breath. BUT another horrible ailment that happens to me here in that I do not remember it ever happening in NY is that I get short of breath wen I run like only a half a block at the same time my throat hurts like REALLY HORRIBLY bad and I can't really explain the pain. . its bad. People b asking me "are u alright". If i stop and rest It goes away like in 5-15 minutes.
I hope sharing my experience in comparison of two states helps.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:53 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
My brother has asthma and lots of allergies it's horrible for him. Especially to dust in particular where we have a ton of that. He currently spends a lot on medications... I wonder if he would have an easier time living elsewhere in the country other than Phoenix.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:34 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post

The ten best cities are:
Colorado Springs
San Francisco
Minneapolis
Daytona Beach
Fort Myers
Melbourne, FL
Spokane, WA
West Palm Beach, FL
Seattle, WA
Sarasota, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
According to the poll, it seems like western cities fair pretty well for asthmatics. Btw, thanks for the link.
If overlooking the fact that five of the Top 10 cities for asthmatics are in Florida I suppose..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.