Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 12:22 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,544,686 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody!

For anyone who's moved from the sun belt to where "real" winters happen... ie from Southern California to Michigan, Phoenix to Boston etc...
Please tell me about your adjustments to living with serious snow.
How did your first winter go? What were the surprises; pleasant and unpleasant...
How did it work out? Happy you made the move or does the snow drive you crazy?

Native So. Cal gal pondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 12:49 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
We moved from Houston to Philly last winter. We packed up on Dec. 31 and were sweating (yuk!). The first winter here was a test, which we passed exceedingly well. I learned that, while it is impossible to shed enough clothes to stay cool in the summer, it is indeed possible to bundle up in warm clothes and keep out out the cold. I am actually outdoors much more here than I ever was in Houston.

In response to another point of your post, a big surprise for me was how I experinced spring. Living in Houston, spring was pretty much a non-event. The live oaks, a predominant species there, keep their leaves all year until an annual shedding of leaves and pollen each Feb/March. For me, spring in southeast Texas was a simply a precursor to the unrelenting summer due to descend at any moment. In the northeast, the return of bulbs and the budding shrubs and trees are beautiful and serve as a nice backdrop as spring lingers well into June.

Weather preferences for some reason seem to incite passion among some on CD. I know folks in Houston who love the weather all year long. God bless them. There is something about the cycle of passing through four distinct seasons that feels very natural and beautiful to me. Can't wait until the snow returns:

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m514/johnmurphy02/P1270061.jpg (broken link)

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m514/johnmurphy02/P1270054.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-13-2011, 01:11 PM

136 posts, read 581,663 times
Just because a city has snow in winter doesn't mean it's never sunny.

Did you know that some cities with cold winters and plenty of snow gets same WINTER sunshine as the "sun belt".

I lived in Orange County, CA and then moved to NYC area. It felt that NYC had almost same amount of winter sunshine as Southern Cali. Snow is beautiful and only happens few times. Winter suppose to be chilly. I love four seasons!

Old 11-13-2011, 01:24 PM

[quote=Libnani;21697509]Just because a city has snow in winter doesn't mean it's never sunny.

Did you know that some cities with cold winters and plenty of snow gets same WINTER sunshine as the "sun belt".

Oh yes, you're right. I should have worded it, "Non snow states to snow states"

Old 11-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
\

Wow those pics are so beautiful!
My husband went on a business trip to the Boston area (it was an eastern branch in his company) and said it was so beautiful there! Reminded him of his hometown in England. (Well, it is New England after all! )

Possibilites in the future!

BTW, I don't think I'd do well in Houston... I get cranky when the temp goes over 75 degrees! (I do know Boston can get hot in summer too)

Old 11-13-2011, 05:31 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
\

Wow those pics are so beautiful!
My husband went on a business trip to the Boston area (it was an eastern branch in his company) and said it was so beautiful there! Reminded him of his hometown in England. (Well, it is New England after all! )

Possibilites in the future!

BTW, I don't think I'd do well in Houston... I get cranky when the temp goes over 75 degrees! (I do know Boston can get hot in summer too)

Think those Pics are Philly and not Boston but they do look very similar in parts

Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,493 times
I live in Key West but am considering moving to a southern state where it occasionally snows, probably Georgia or Tennessee. I LOVE cold weather!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:10 PM

208 posts, read 604,246 times
I've done it...and have also done the reverse. The first year was lots of fun. The cold and snow were new, refreshing, and fun - had my first snowball fight, made my first snow angel, my first snow day off from work, etc. Freshly fallen snow can be breathtakingly gorgeous. Being bundled up in sweaters, hats, gloves, and scarves was comforting. Having clearly defined seasons was awesome, and fall has become my favorite season.

After the first year, though, reality kinda caught up with me. The snow got dirty very quickly. Having to scrape ice off of your car or shovel snow around it was truly painful. Then there was having icicles form from my breath or being afraid of slipping on icy roads with every step. Having to bundle up every time I had to go outside became a chore. Those things were not so fun.

That said, if you're a SoCal girl and have never lived in that type of environment, it's an eye-opening experience and something you would need to try to judge for yourself. I'm glad I did it.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:20 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Native So. Cal guy here, Riverside to be exact.

I had seen it snow twice in my life before moving here to Colorado (once in Southern Oregon, and once in Ridgecrest, CA {where it does snow every few years}). It's now my fifth winter in Denver, we've already had 12.5 inches this season, with some dirty plowed piles still sitting around for the last week and a half since the last storm.

As of now, I'd never move back to a place where it didn't snow. All it really takes is some extra precautions (driving more carefully, warm clothes, scraping windshields, shoveling, etc). I love it.

You will either like it, or you won't. You just have to see for yourself.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:25 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,893 times
Yep. Nebraska has a lot of sun. Even the eastern portion is in the upper third in percentage for most sun in the US which has only 2% less sun than the number 10 state in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.