U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which region would be best economically if they were Independent?
Midwest 16 21.33%
Northeast 26 34.67%
South 20 26.67%
West 13 17.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, Canada
1,255 posts, read 2,110,903 times
Reputation: 787

Advertisements

I'll go for the west, as it has a lot of economic diversity, considerable food production year-round, access to Pacific Rim trading routes, and more than one world-class city.

Water would be an ongoing problem, but it's already an ongoing problem while it's part of the union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Murphy, NC
3,223 posts, read 8,504,161 times
Reputation: 1436
Certainly not the west, they have no water. But I can see any of the other regions doing just fine. I'd have to say no for the NE because its too corrupt and not united enough. I think it's a tie between the south and midwest. Probably the south. They've historically out-produced sustainable items since before the civil war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Maryland
4,264 posts, read 5,481,941 times
Reputation: 4594
Probably the Midwest. They'd probably barter access to the St. Lawrence and/or access to the gulf via the Mississippi with staple grains. They also have the largest deposits of fresh water and the largest overall region for agriculture (even if it isn't that significantly varied by comparison to CA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Murphy, NC
3,223 posts, read 8,504,161 times
Reputation: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallenfranchise View Post
Why is Delaware, DC, and Maryland considered the South? I think to accurately describe the South, it would be anything below Virginia. And Kentucky should be considered the Midwest rather than the South.
I agree, but also, then Missouri or Kentucky belong to the south. They're more culturally similar. Kentucky use to be part of greater Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Murphy, NC
3,223 posts, read 8,504,161 times
Reputation: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I'll go for the west, as it has a lot of economic diversity, considerable food production year-round, access to Pacific Rim trading routes, and more than one world-class city.

Water would be an ongoing problem, but it's already an ongoing problem while it's part of the union.
With Hawaii and Alaska it could have tourism and oil. But with globalization these days and multinational corporations who knows if it makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,375 posts, read 55,173,351 times
Reputation: 15454
Annual Crude Oil Production by State, 2009

Midwest: 178.8 Billion Barrels
North Dakota 111.9 Billion
Kansas 40.2 Billion
Illinois 8.9 Billion
Michigan 6.5 Billion
Ohio 5.7 Billion
Nebraska 2.1 Billion
Indiana 1.8 Billion
South Dakota 1.6 Billion
Missouri 105 Million

Northeast: 3.7 Billion Barrels
Pennsylvania 3.4 Billion
New York 377 Million

South: 593.5 Billion Barrels
Texas 416.5 Billion
Oklahoma 68.0 Billion
Louisiana 66.5 Billion
Mississippi 23.6 Billion
Alabama 6.9 Billion
Arkansas 5.7 Billion
Kentucky 2.5 Billion
West Virginia 1.9 Billion
Florida 1.7 Billion
Tennessee 266 Million
Virginia 6 Million

West: 610.8 Billion Barrels
Alaska 218.7 Billion
California 203.7 Billion
New Mexico 62.2 Billion
Wyoming 51.7 Billion
Colorado 26.0 Billion
Utah 24.4 Billion
Montana 23.7 Billion
Nevada 433 Million
Arizona 40 Million

https://www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=9396
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Murphy, NC
3,223 posts, read 8,504,161 times
Reputation: 1436
I don't know how the south has one vote (me). Look at the above oil they produce. Beats me. Before I voted I though they would be 1st or 2nd. Are people just voting on where they live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,375 posts, read 55,173,351 times
Reputation: 15454
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I don't know how the south has one vote (me). Look at the above oil they produce. Beats me. Before I voted I though they would be 1st or 2nd. Are people just voting on where they live?
Well, I havent voted yet.

Although I would agree that the South is a very strong region economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,173,289 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Annual Crude Oil Production by State, 2009

Midwest: 178.8 Billion Barrels
North Dakota 111.9 Billion
Kansas 40.2 Billion
Illinois 8.9 Billion
Michigan 6.5 Billion
Ohio 5.7 Billion
Nebraska 2.1 Billion
Indiana 1.8 Billion
South Dakota 1.6 Billion
Missouri 105 Million

Northeast: 3.7 Billion Barrels
Pennsylvania 3.4 Billion
New York 377 Million

South: 593.5 Billion Barrels
Texas 416.5 Billion
Oklahoma 68.0 Billion
Louisiana 66.5 Billion
Mississippi 23.6 Billion
Alabama 6.9 Billion
Arkansas 5.7 Billion
Kentucky 2.5 Billion
West Virginia 1.9 Billion
Florida 1.7 Billion
Tennessee 266 Million
Virginia 6 Million

West: 610.8 Billion Barrels
Alaska 218.7 Billion
California 203.7 Billion
New Mexico 62.2 Billion
Wyoming 51.7 Billion
Colorado 26.0 Billion
Utah 24.4 Billion
Montana 23.7 Billion
Nevada 433 Million
Arizona 40 Million

https://www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=9396
wow. surprised that California produces more oil than all of the midwest and the northeast combined. And Texas producing more oil than all of the other states in the lower 48 combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 12:41 PM
 
56,621 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Reputation: 12508
It depends, as the NE is probably the most walkable/less car dependant region
It has plenty of water, food sources, major cities, natural harbors, 4 seasons, solid educational infrastructure and a diversified economy. All of the regions have great strengths and could work in their own way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top