Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times

Advertisements

I wonder if Boise is worth investigating. Tucson??

I'd worry that much of Austin is either too granolaish or too religious for the OP.

Last edited by creeksitter; 11-19-2011 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 06:19 PM

37,130 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Honolulu might be an interesting option to pursue as it's fairly liberal, very diversive, not known for being particularly religious, and has a cost of living that is in some respects cheaper than SF or DC (definitely not a "cheap" city, but pretty good compared to the most expensive though in some aspects, like traveling to Europe, significantly more expensive (converse of that is potentially cheaper trip to East Asia and Australia)). It would also have pretty much the most temperate climate you can get--almost never too hot or too cold, and fairly clear skies for most of the year.

San Diego and Denver, as has already been mentioned are fairly decent options to some extent and fulfill most of what you've asked. Seattle fulfills more of it save for the weather though. And since weather is such an important criteria for you, it also cuts off a lot of the other options listed such as Austin (hot that is longer and hotter than any DC summer) or Madison (far colder than DC in winter, can get fairly hot in summer, too). Basically, the only fairly yearlong temperate climates are in parts of the west (mainly coastal parts as well as some high altitude areas) and bits of the upland south (Asheville, North Carolina--a great place that fits most things, but may be a bit too granola-y).

Honolulu!

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-19-2011 at 06:29 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 10:43 AM

12 posts, read 18,594 times
How about Sacramento? Good weather, lots to do, close to the Bay area but far less expensive...basically moderately liberal....

Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 AM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Not too hot, not too cold, and not San Francisco or Seattle? Hmm.. I'd say you're limiting your options there.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:23 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacoyle View Post
Hello, I am also looking for many of the same things that you are so here goes: I have lived in Boulder and don't know why that poster said to avoid it, it's probably the closest to what you are looking for, lots of europeans there, the only downside is it's expensive. 300 days of sun :-)
The OP prefers to avoid a "hippie, anarchist, pot-smoking liberal" area. Boulder of course is much more than that but there are many more moderately liberal areas to suggest. I think they want something a bit more moderate, which I why I suggested Denver.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE BOULDER. I lived nearby for many years, my sisters goes to CU and I would live there in a heartbeat, but for someone who says Burning Man is anathema to everything they are, Boulder wouldn't be my first suggestion

Old 11-24-2011, 06:17 AM

224 posts, read 551,156 times
Maybe, have you been there lately? It's really losing the whole hippy thing with all the tech workers from silicon valley there. The biggest problem I've seen is the invasion of mexicans.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,603 times
Default I'm in just about the same boat!

IWANTTOLIVEIN- I would love to know if you figured out your next nestle-in community!
I am looking for very similar attributes in a community... well... COMMUNITY being the key word. Local food, foodies, non-traditionalists.. or liberals, just people- people. Great place to raise my son- whom I homeschool- I homeschool for the sake of travel, and raising a global citizen. I am from LA, and have lived in SF, NYC, London, Central America and many other cool places in between- so a diverse group is what I'm seeking!
AND, I can't be too far from the coast- I'd go completely nuts if I couldn't head to the beach... and then there's need for music, and garden, and dining with friends... who are like minded souls. I too, am an entrepreneur, and writer when I can soak in some inspiration...
Nahhh, I'm not asking too much! =)
I am headed east... very soon and I've been researching Carrboro, Charlottesville, Richmond, Hatteras, and Wilmington.
Please! If you have any new savvy, let me know!
Thanks everybody!
Carmellm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.