Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,837 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated college and am looking for a place to start my life. I was looking and was wondering what places would be good for a 22 year old. PLease consider jobs, rent, apartments, and recreation. I do not like big cities but I do like smaller cities. Any information would be very helpful in helping me start out. Thank you

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 08-26-2007 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 08:46 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Red face Starting my life with your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbj85 View Post
I recently graduated college and am looking for a place to start my life. I was looking and was wondering what places would be good for a 22 year old. PLease consider jobs, rent, apartments, and recreation. I do not like big cities but I do like smaller cities. Any information would be very helpful in helping me start out. Thank you
jmo--but employment would be my first priority. There are a number of cities/towns in GA that might provide the quality of life that you seek--many just outside metro Atlanta--Suwanee, Ga recently received recognition as one of the better areas in the US.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 08-26-2007 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Multiple threads merged into one; deleted the city names.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM

214 posts, read 899,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbj85 View Post
Smaller cities in Georgia are Columbus, Macon, Augusta, Athens, Savannah, Albany & Valdosta. I personally think Savannah is the best of the ones I mentioned. Athens is a great college town with alot to do for young people.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 08-26-2007 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Multiple threads in various state forums; edited his quote to take out Georgia.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 22,960 times
There are a lot of great smaller communities in and around Atlanta. Overall I think that you will find that the rental market is reasonable, but I agree with bhs119, in that you will want to be located relative to your job. Commute times in Atlanta are 45 minutes to an hour which is a lot. Happy hunting!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
You might have better luck in establishing a work record in your home town. After a couple of years, then think about somewhere else. As a rule, employers are reluctant to hire out of towners with no work record. They can hire local recent college graduates just as easily.

A lot will depend on what kind of work you do too. If it's very specialized, you might be in a better position than someone else with lesser qualifications even though you are not local talent.

Good luck

Old 08-23-2007, 02:00 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,891 times
nbj85 what type of degree do you have? Columbus is very nice. It's 1.5 hours away from Atlanta, Macon and Montgomery. Three hours from the white sandy beaches of Florida. A large number of jobs planned for the near future, more here than any other city in GA other than of Atlanta.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,837 times
Thank you for the replies so far. I do have work experience and internships under my belt as well. I have a degree in social work.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 PM

4 posts, read 11,132 times
You might want to try Augusta...Golf(PGA Masters in April), excellent medical facilities, growing city with smaller towns surrounding, large businesses(ADP, Kellogg, P&G, etc,), cost of living is one of the lowest in the state...

Old 08-26-2007, 03:05 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Our larger urban centers (which really aren't "big cities" like Indianapolis, but are closer to Fort Wayne in size) would be the route to take: Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg. York County, just south of Charlotte, would also be an option. The cost of living in SC overall is pretty cheap, and you shouldn't really have a problem finding work in social services in any of those locations.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:06 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
A few possibilities: Cookeville, Chattanooga, the Tri-Cities area, Clarksville, possibly Maryville near Knoxville. You could also consider the greater Nashville area (there are some nice suburbs and some smaller towns in the area, such as Franklin); that might give you the best of both worlds, so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.