Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:09 AM

27,569 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
DC, Boston, Philly & Chicago. In terms of getting around, they're not bad. The trains and stations OTOH are behind global standards.

That depends on how you define global standards. The Paris metro doesn't even have working escalators or elevators in most stations. I found that to be extremely odd coming from DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,217 times
Oh, well that's interesting. To clarify what I was saying, the trains don't have panel displays showing where the train is headed. Also they feel a bit dated. Underground Metrorail (DC) stations just makes me want to throw a tantrum since they're so dark. The brown trademark just makes me feel dull. I have a cousin in Singapore where the MRT there is very nice and clean with screen barriers in underground stations.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,892,389 times
What do you mean by panel displays? I can't speak for the other cities, but the trains in Boston definitely have destinations clearly marked on the fronts and sides of the vehicles.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:08 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
What do you mean by panel displays? I can't speak for the other cities, but the trains in Boston definitely have destinations clearly marked on the fronts and sides of the vehicles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Si...info_panel.jpg

This is Singapore's MRT. I think it would be very helpful for anyone new to a city to know where they are headed using this panel info display. In the metrorail in DC, you'd have to get up and look at a map of the numerous lines with the stations labeled in tiny print.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:55 AM

354 posts, read 785,472 times
how late does some of these subways in other cities stay open? ..i heard NYC trains are all night..

dc metrorail is ok i guess but it closes at midnight..so if you plan on using public transportation for your nightlife i wouldnt do it.. a person like me doesnt even leave the house till midnight lol.. but during the day dc metro is cool except for the nonworking escalators, broken gates, and little badass kids with no home training of how to act in publc

Old 12-16-2011, 03:19 PM

35 posts, read 96,012 times
NYC and Chicago are the only two metro systems that are 24/7. Both have limited night schedules though, and some lines shutdown.

In Chicago, The Blue and Red Lines are 24/7 which are the two busiest lines and are well connected to downtown, the densest neighborhoods, all the major nightlife, and O'Hare.

I really enjoyed the DC metro, but the fact that the whole system shuts down pretty early is a major minus for me.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:49 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI787ORD View Post
I really enjoyed the DC metro, but the fact that the whole system shuts down pretty early is a major minus for me.
The DC subway stops shortly after midnight on weekday nights (Sun-Thur) and operates until 3am Friday and Saturday evenings. I wouldn't call that early. That's sufficient for the vast majority and otherwise keeps it from becoming a nest of homeless people and criminals.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:55 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI787ORD View Post
NYC and Chicago are the only two metro systems that are 24/7. Both have limited night schedules though, and some lines shutdown.

In Chicago, The Blue and Red Lines are 24/7 which are the two busiest lines and are well connected to downtown, the densest neighborhoods, all the major nightlife, and O'Hare.

Phildelphia also has some subways and rail lines that run 24 hours, not all and the BSL and MFL run buses along their routes from 2 till 5 AM

This line runs 24/7 365 days a year

Riding PATCO underground in Philly (driver's view) - YouTube

Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
I'm assuming cities have 24 hour bus service though, right? Chicago has 19 bus lines and two transit routes that are 24 hours, with most other service being between 430am and 1am-2:30am

Old 12-19-2011, 12:54 PM

7 posts, read 20,460 times
NYC subway and buses are 24/7 with some trains running on limited schedule during late nights. after midnight trains run on different tracks like the 4, 5, 6 or 2 train lines.

Buses in the outer boroughs run on limited schedules late nights and on weekends especially since the budget cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.