Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:41 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
East St Louis,
I used to go partying in East St. Louis all the time. Parked and walked to various nightclubs. At night. Easily hundreds of times. Never once had the slightest problem. It just illustrates how the city's reputation for crime is more rampant than the actual crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Places where you know something is going to happen (getting robbed/shot) just by walking down the street.
I'm a 60 years young AA man , and the only city in America ( that I was Mugged In ) was East St. Louis Ill. Four fellow AA Men mugged me " one
with a gun " and the " second brother was holding a knife " I guess he was holding that knife for good measure ( happened 1972 or 73).

Los Angeles and New York City were dangerous in the 1970's and 1980's ,
but not so much today , as a matter of fact they both are safe to NONE
Street People.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
new orleans near the bus station or on loyola

Old 06-05-2012, 06:49 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Newark, NJ. Bars on the shop windows, even across from big name hotels. This was years ago, maybe it's better now.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
In NYC, there's a requirement for a certain percentage of housing project residents to be middle income... there's no such requirement in CA. Housing projects in CA are basically guaranteed to be impoverished and almost always are high crime. There's only one low-crime project in the Bay Area I can think of.

as far as CA projects looking nicer, it varies from city to city... some cities (like Oakland) maintain their projects, others (like San Francisco) do not. Here's some examples throughout CA:

jordan down watts ca - Google Maps

Mariposa Street Rodeo, CA - Google Maps

Acorn, Oakland - Google Maps

Potrero Hill, San Francisco - Google Maps

One notable exception to this rule, however, is the Atchison Village housing project in richmond CA... it has a very interesting and unusual history. There was a very interesting article ran on it a couple years ago:

Common ground / Affordable living puts co-op homeowners at Richmond's Atchison Village on - SFGate

It's still standing today.

atchison village, richmond - Google Maps

Low income AA people in California tend to avoid the projests , and a lot of cities out here demolished their's projects and placed low income people in commercial apartment and detached houses.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
I lived in Phoenix from 2005-2012 (moving out at the end of the year) and thought it was pretty dangerous. There was a murder everyday in the news. Whats expecially scary is that so many crimes in AZ are horrendous in nature. Example.....someone recently set five people on fire and then dismembered their parts!! AZ is the epitome of lunacy (I think its the desert heat and dryness). Phoenix is definately the Wild West.

Phoenix AZ had 365 murders a year..LOL

Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Phoenix AZ had 365 murders a year..LOL
Why is that funny?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
The entire city of Detroit.

Cant believe it took this long for this town to come up. Detroit IS the most crime ridden decayed place in North America. No where comes close to the insanity that is Detroit.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I can't think of a single good project in Los Angeles, or Oakland, or San Francisco, or Chicago, or New Orleans, or anywhere else other than New York City. Quite a few of the projects I walked by and into in NYC - the Baruch Houses in particular - were very, very tame in comparison to what I'm used to in CA. In CA, you don't walk into the projects unless you're with somebody who lives there... that's a great way to end up dead.

Man killed visiting family is identified - SFGate

The same happened in Marin City last year but I can't find the article.
born and raised imperial courts. went to jordan at the height of the crack epidemic and what you said is wrong. dead wrong. outsiders went in all the time. some to buy drugs, some wondered in lost. i still remember this european girl lol who decided to walk across la with a map and ended up confused to all hell asking me for directions kinda frantic at this point. some came in because they worked.

a lot of the violent stuff occurred over beefs between a SMALL fraction of the idiots. Imperial courts was as dangerous as you wanted to make it. remember this, people are people where ever you go. even desperate people. most of us have hearts and won't hurt you to get ahead.

all this talk and fantasies is very insulting.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
born and raised imperial courts. went to jordan at the height of the crack epidemic and what you said is wrong. dead wrong. outsiders went in all the time. some to buy drugs, some wondered in lost. i still remember this european girl lol who decided to walk across la with a map and ended up confused to all hell asking me for directions kinda frantic at this point. some came in because they worked.

a lot of the violent stuff occurred over beefs between a SMALL fraction of the idiots. Imperial courts was as dangerous as you wanted to make it. remember this, people are people where ever you go. even desperate people. most of us have hearts and won't hurt you to get ahead.

all this talk and fantasies is very insulting.
Never said this wasn't the case. However, for people who look like me - a young black male - these projects are exponentially more dangerous than they are for the typically older group of people who buy drugs, and particularly in comparison to those who are white. While most of the people in said projects are not involved in crime, the ones who are notice every person who walks in and out of them... the very sad reality is that their lives often depend on it. The "normal people" aren't the only ones who are afraid...

And let's be real, there aren't too many people getting "lost" in the projects... there are a lot of people who get a kick out of "slumming" though, particularly if they can do so in the relative safety of their car. Driving through a project vs. walking through it are two very, very different ballgames. And I already mentioned that people who work in the projects generally get a pass.

And "fantasy" it isn't... far from it. The reality is that my chances of being a victim of violent crime increase dramatically whether I'm in the projects 5 minutes or 5 hours. I don't even have to be the intended target... stray bullets are just as deadly. I personally know many people in or from the projects in CA (mainly the Bay) and the reality is that even being with them doesn't guarantee nothing will happen to you... you could easily be targeted by a rival turf because they associate with someone who's involved and you're guilty by association. "Pick your friends wisely" is an understatement.

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 06-05-2012 at 11:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.