Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM

7 posts, read 7,903 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking for some Arts and Artistic Community options for relocation.
My husband is a serious singer songwriter hobbyist and sometimes semi-pro Musician, and I myself have sang professionally and semi professionally for 10 years in the Jazz and Cabaret field.We are an interracial couple and our children are mixed so we would like that to be taken into consideration too please.
We need to be in a place where people appreciate and are hungry for live music. It cannot be the old hackneyed over saturated places like Austin or Nashville because if everyone is a Performer then its difficult to find an audience.
Im looking to find a gig once or twice a week at a nice restaurant or cafe and so is my husband. Weve done some convention work in the past in Atlanta and Houston so it would be nice to be someplace where we might find some work like that too.
It would be nice to hear from people who have the buzz on the best kept secret Arts communities.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:57 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
New at CNY Jazz | CNY Jazz

Welcome to the Syracuse Jazz Fest

Home - Northeast Jazz and Wine Festival

Syracuse New Times

Syracuse Arts Directory

WAER - HOMEPAGE

Some other places to look into are Ithaca NY, other major Upstate NY cities, Ann Arbor MI, Columbus OH, Madison WI and Minneapolis.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
Kansas City jazz scene isn't like it used to be but is still stronger than most cities. There are many local jazz/blues musicians, so may have to compete for gigs but great city for networking, with good ties to the coasts for gigs.

Kansas City Jazz Ambassadors Official Web Site

KC's strong in other area of arts too with one of largest art gallery districts in country (Xroads downtown), an amazing new performing arts center and a pretty significant theatre scene with nearly 200 performance arts related companies.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Memphis, Memphis, Memphis!!!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Uptown Oakland California sounds like what you're looking for. Interracial couples are a dime a dozen there and there's a huge artist community (not just there but all throughout Oakland).

Old 01-04-2012, 08:09 PM

7 posts, read 7,903 times
Thank you all! I do believe that great minds think alike! Kansas City, Memphis, Oakland, Minneapolis, Upstate NY have been on our list for some time and it is nice to hear our opinions seconded! Happy New Year in this still baby 2012!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
New at CNY Jazz | CNY Jazz

Welcome to the Syracuse Jazz Fest

Home - Northeast Jazz and Wine Festival

Syracuse New Times

Syracuse Arts Directory

WAER - HOMEPAGE

Some other places to look into are Ithaca NY, other major Upstate NY cities, Ann Arbor MI, Columbus OH, Madison WI and Minneapolis.
Here's another spot in my area: Sophistications by Mahogani Hills - Home

and some others: Home - Laci's Tapas Bar -Syracuse, New York

Phoebe's | Syracuse, NY

World Lounge and Martini Bar - Hanover Square - Syracuse, New York

Nightlife in Armory Square

Downtown Syracuse | Hanover Square Syracuse | Syracuse Restaurants | Syracuse Store

Welcome to Asti Caffe

Syracuse Little Italy Restaurant | Francesca's Cucina

Metro Lounge & Cafe on 505 Westcott St, Syracuse | GoTime

Jazz in the City series takes a trip around Syracuse | syracuse.com (This occurs yearly)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.