Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 PM

90 posts, read 94,911 times

Advertisements

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files...arriage-II.pdf

Intermarriage by region:
West: 21.9% of all marriages
South: 13.9% of all marriages
Northeast: 12.6% of all marriages
Midwest: 11.1% of all marriages
United States: 15.1% of all marriages

Outmarriage by group:
Non-Hispanic White: 9.4%
Black: 17.1%
Hispanic: 25.7%
Asian: 27.7%

Intermarriage Types
White/Hispanic: 43.3% (of which are located 37.1% West, 34.5% South, 15.5% Midwest, 13.0% Northeast)
White/Asian: 14.4% (of which are located 42.9% West, 26.7% South, 15.5% Midwest, 14.9% Northeast)
White/Black: 11.9% (of which are located 50.9% South, 19.8% Midwest, 15.7% West, 13.6% Northeast)
Other Types: 30.4% (of which are located 37.0% South, 36.1% West, 15.8% Midwest, 11.4% Northeast)

Top 10 states by intermarriage
1. Hawaii: 42.4%
2. Oklahoma: 26.3%
3. Nevada: 25.6%
4. New Mexico: 25.4%
5. Alaska: 23.9%
6. California: 23.2%
7. Arizona: 22.0%
8. Washington: 21.2%
9. Oregon: 20.4%
-DC- 19.3%
10. Colorado: 18.5%

Thoughts?

I actually thought the Northeast was going to be way higher, especially in states like New Jersey and New York, where there are interracial couples everywhere. Guess intermarriage isn't as common as I thought there.

Last edited by MostInterestingPoster3; 03-06-2012 at 09:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Well, for the record, I'm a Cajun/German (white) from CO and my wife is 100% certified South Korean (Asian). I guess we're in those "intermarriage" figures. I will say, after 7 seven years of marriage, we have never been treated with anything but courtesy whenever we've traveled both here and abroad. And that reflects favorably on current society in my opinion

Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Well, for the record, I'm a Cajun/German (white) from CO and my wife is 100% certified South Korean (Asian). I guess we're in those "intermarriage" figures. I will say, after 7 seven years of marriage, we have never been treated with anything but courtesy whenever we've traveled both here and abroad. And that reflects favorably on current society in my opinion
I believe the US and a huge chunk of the world has made a lot of strides as a whole as well. To be honest, it's not really anything novel to begin with.

At a certain point in US history, a Catholic-Protestant Wedding would have been considered extremely taboo. This was as recent as 100 years ago. Nowadays, stuff like that doesn't matter.

However, what is interesting to me is the huge disparity between the West and everyone else. 9/10 states on this measure are all in the West, including the extremely large California. A state like New York and New Jersey has just as many different ethnic groups, if not more so, than California, so I was wondering why there is a huge difference?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post
I believe the US and a huge chunk of the world has made a lot of strides as a whole as well. To be honest, it's not really anything novel to begin with.

At a certain point in US history, a Catholic-Protestant Wedding would have been considered extremely taboo. This was as recent as 100 years ago. Nowadays, stuff like that doesn't matter.

However, what is interesting to me is the huge disparity between the West and everyone else. 9/10 states on this measure are all in the West, including the extremely large California. A state like New York and New Jersey has just as many different ethnic groups, if not more so, than California, so I was wondering why there is a huge difference?
Agreed.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post

It goes much deeper then just demographics. The diversity in the Northeast is that it attracts large groups of people from all over the world. There are high numbers of Asians, African, Europeans, Latin Americans, Middle Easterns, etc. There may be larger numbers of minorities, but they live in established neighborhoods that cater to their community.

The West has two very large minorities, Hispanics (of any race or mixed race) and Asians. These two groups have heavily mixed with the Europeans Americans who live in California, thus you have a higher rate of inter-racial marriage. Also, and I wont get into this too much, inter-racial marriage of Asians/Whites or Hispanics/Whites do not get the same stigma as a black/white couple. The number of blacks on the West Coast is a drop in the bucket compared to the East Coast.

Also keep in mind that the marriage rates vary from state to state. More couples on the West Coast may get married then on the East Coast, therefore the number will be higher. FWIW, the most black/white couples I have seen throughout the US were in the South, even in small towns down South.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
It goes much deeper then just demographics. The diversity in the Northeast is that it attracts large groups of people from all over the world. There are high numbers of Asians, African, Europeans, Latin Americans, Middle Easterns, etc. There may be larger numbers of minorities, but they live in established neighborhoods that cater to their community.
True, but couldn't that be said about Los Angeles or San Francisco? IIRC, those cities have some large populations of Europeans and Middle Easterners as well, many of which have their own established neighborhoods.

Quote:
The West has two very large minorities, Hispanics (of any race or mixed race) and Asians. These two groups have heavily mixed with the Europeans Americans who live in California, thus you have a higher rate of inter-racial marriage. Also, and I wont get into this too much, inter-racial marriage of Asians/Whites or Hispanics/Whites do not get the same stigma as a black/white couple. The number of blacks on the West Coast is a drop in the bucket compared to the East Coast.
That's true. However, according to the data from the link, Hispanics and Asians outmarry at much smaller rates relative to their population in NY/NJ than in CA, which is surprising to me because I see those couples all the time. I went to high school in Queens (Francis Lewis) and saw plenty of interracial couples while I was there.

Quote:
Also keep in mind that the marriage rates vary from state to state. More couples on the West Coast may get married then on the East Coast, therefore the number will be higher. FWIW, the most black/white couples I have seen throughout the US were in the South, even in small towns down South.
Hmm, I'd like to see a link on that, but that could be true. Most people in my age bracket (20s) don't get married as much as they used to, especially here.

As for your last statement, 50.9% of all Black/White couples live in the South. However, despite having a relatively larger black population, there are MORE Black/White couples out West than in the Northeast (15.7% are out West, while only 13.6% are in the Northeast)

Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Thats crazy.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:20 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,394 times
As a white guy in Honolulu, Its pretty much expected that you date an Asian girl. I've dated 3 and my current gf is chinese.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:34 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
I'm quite surprised that the majority of black/white couples live in the South, despite that most Southerners are very much against interracial relationships.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'm quite surprised that the majority of black/white couples live in the South, despite that most Southerners are very much against interracial relationships.
I'd say "many", not "most", and "white Southerners" than "Southerners" in general. Black people tend to be much more accepting, even if initially hesitant to know their son or daughter is marrying outside the race. I'm sure the figure is due to pure numbers, as black people are heavily represented in the south.
For the Northeast, there is a wide range of races and cultures represented, but for the most part, they tend to "stick to their own".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.