Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 02:12 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times

Advertisements

The grass is always greener on the other side. Until you get there, you realize that if it is true, there's still brown patches, weeds, and invasive flowers destroying your tomatoes (stupid invasive bamboo...).

Anyway, the point here is to look back on cities that you HATED in general, but there were some good points that you do miss now that you're in a new location. And I don't mean friends ... it's obvious if you have friends you will miss them. I mean amenities, activities, unique aspects, etc. The point here is to take a step back and reflect. Seems apt for Chinese new year.

I can start it. I hated St. Louis in general. The city's downtown was depressing and abandoned in general, dirty, and lacking in stuff to do. The suburbs were ... well, suburbs. Pretty boring. Pretty dull bland Americana. And the area was way too sports-centric.

But I do miss the City Museum, the botanical gardens, and the underground hippie culture there. Dogtown, and parts of the old French district also gets an honorable mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 04:10 PM

37 posts, read 79,283 times
Ooh, fun question.

Well, I've hated several places only to miss them now. So let's start with Montgomery, Alabama.

I miss how people were so polite and cordial.
I miss the WARMTH and yes, even the humidity.
I miss the cicadas buzzing in the summertimes.
I miss just the general genteel-ness of the place.
I miss this fantastic, tiny episcopal church outside of the city that had the best English garden you could imagine.
I miss visiting Lake Martin.
I miss the beautiful architecture of the homes in Old Cloverdale.
I miss the cheap property values.

Then there was Mobile, Alabama.

I miss my husband's family's property out in the greater county.
I miss the proximity to New Orleans.
I miss the seafood.
Once again, I miss the heat and humidity and low property values.
I miss the old Louisiana-style architecture.
I miss the more low-key Mardi Gras (first Mardi Gras in the nation!)
I miss Dauphin Island and the Gulf Coast (polluted though it may now be).

And then there was Chesapeake, Virginia and the Hampton Roads area:

I miss the beautiful houses in Ghent and along the Norfolk waterfront.
I miss all the historic tourism opportunities that I never took advantage of.
I miss the Chrysler museum.
And while I hate PETA, they had a fantastic free dog park that I miss taking my dog to.
I miss my huge backyard.

I won't go into the reasons I hated these cities. I don't like to be negative and I've grown up a lot when it comes to my perspective on the things I hated. I'm sure you can imagine the things a person might hate about those places so there's no need to go into it.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Memphis
I miss
the library system
the zoo
the botanic garden
the BBQ and some of the small ethnic eateries

Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,859 times
The least favourite place I've lived was Houston. I miss southern cooking so much, all the amazing food places. I had lots of good friends there too. I miss the thunderstorms too. Other than that I wouldn't really want to move back.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 PM

364 posts, read 716,176 times
I briefly lived in Charleston, SC. I pretty much disliked Charleston greatly, but being here in Cincinnati makes me miss:

The views of the ocean
The Battery
Well maintained historic architecture
Seafood
Sunshine
View of the shipyards
Being on the coast
Abundance of attractive women

Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
I miss the mountains in LA.

But since we just closed on a condo there, I can visit anytime I want!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
I hated Louisville, KY and grew to hate Cincinnati. Honestly, I still don't miss ANYthing about either city.

For a long time, I hated rural Central KY (Frankfort area) where I grew up. Moving away to Cincinnati and ultimately to the SF Bay Area made me realize some things about CKY that I like:

• Ale-8-1. To non-locals, it tastes like p*ss. To locals (and particularly males, for some reason), it's like Heaven.
  • No traffic, relatively speaking. Some exceptions are certain thoroughfares when one travels into Lexington or Louisville.
  • The Kentucky State Capitol, building and grounds, are absolutely beautiful. You really feel like you're stepping back into 1910. It is basically the southern terminus of Downtown Frankfort which was founded in and still has buildings from the 1790s.
  • My closest family members. Distance makes the heart grow fonder. I've traditionally had a great relationship with them, however.
  • The general warmth and friendliness of locals. If you're a non-native, you'll never be truly accepted (I was born in another part of the state altogether). It does take some time for them to warm up, and I think that is due to significant Appalachian influence; it is near the Appalachian foothills in the Bluegrass region. However, once they do get to know you, they are engaging, kind and respectful.

All that said, would I move back to CKY or Kentucky general? Only to take care of ailing parents (who are still in great health) or under extreme financial difficulty. It's a stagnant, status quo state that gets boring quickly. The jobs are in Louisville, N. Ky. and Lexington, for the most part; Lou. and N. Ky. fit the bill for mid-sized metro areas with axes to grind and Lexington, while very nice, has a sort of strange faux pretentious nouveau riche/straight outta Appalachia hillbilly vibe.

Where I live now, the San Francisco Bay Area, would be a damn near perfect place to live if not for all the arrogant, snobby poseur types. Sure, they're in a minority and certainly not all-prevailing, but normal people like me try to avoid them at all costs. I can even handle the high cost of living and have found little niches where I can have the beach all to myself and meditate! I have a good life here all in all.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
I hated Saint Louis and Missouri in General

I miss:
the lack of traffic.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I hated Saint Louis and Missouri in General

I miss:
the lack of traffic.
Bad karma, man. Give it up on St. Louis.....if it's so beneath you you'd think you wouldn't save the energy to bash it, yet it's practically all you do. You give Californians a bad reputation on C-D with your spoiled brat attitude.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Bad karma, man. Give it up on St. Louis.....if it's so beneath you you'd think you wouldn't save the energy to bash it, yet it's practically all you do. You give Californians a bad reputation on C-D with your spoiled brat attitude.
Now now... Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Is rather this thread not turn into a flamewar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.