Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
In Texas it's:

mill for meal
dill for deal
fill for feel
vill for veal

Well, you get the picture. I'll leave out all the rest of the mispronunciations except for four of our states, Mass-a-too-setts, Ill-a-noise, Lose-e-ana, and Ha-why-ya. Ugh!!
Wait, there's a difference???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Quote:
In Texas it's:

mill for meal
dill for deal
fill for feel
vill for veal

Well, you get the picture. I'll leave out all the rest of the mispronunciations except for four of our states, Mass-a-too-setts, Ill-a-noise, Lose-e-ana, and Ha-why-ya. Ugh!!
And...

peel for pill
keed for kid
beel for bill

As in "Mah keed took a peel to fill better and I juss got the doctor beel."

Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:

There's nothing wrong with loozy-anna, a lot of people who were born there still say that (especially in North Looziana), and it was even more prevalent a few generations ago. Where do you think the brand of Luzianne Tea came from?

It seems to me that most people in North Carolina pronounce their state with five syllables, but people in South Carolina say only four syllables: South Ca'lina.

You can always tell an outsider in Wisconsin, who pronounce it wiss-consin. Local say wi-SKAHNsin. The S pronounces as if its part of the second syllable, not the first. It's a subtle difference, but people who are from there can always hear the foreign accent. Same for Milwaukee, which locals do not (or just barely) pronounce the L. Say it as if the three words are: Mew-wokkiwa-skonsin.

In Oregon, don't ever, ever say Oar-ree-gahnnn. It's pronounced like "Organ", with a slight vocal hitch between the R and the G.

Sault Ste. Marie and Sioux Falls are pronounced the same: SOO.

In Canada (while we're at it), the second T in Toronto is not pronounced. Newfoundland rhymes with "understand". Noofin-LAND. Now officially known as Newfoundland and Labrador, which is also stressed on the last syllable: labra-DORE.

Saint John, New Brunswick is NEVER abbreviated "St.", and the two words are stressed equally. St. John's, Newfoundland, is ALWAYS abbreviated "St.", and pronounced "s'n-JOHNS-noofin-LAND". The first and laslt syllables of Saskatchewan are de-stressed: s-SKATCHA-w'n. The capital rhymes with Vagina, don't be afraid to say Regina that way, nobody will laugh. Guelph, Ontario, is pronounced like GULF, but with a W in it: GWULF

The third syllable of Ottawa is held, like Ottawah, not sluffed off like Florida.

Montreal, in English, is MUNT-treal, but outside Quebec, most Canadians say MONN-treal. When speaking English in Quebec, it's kwebec, not the French kaybec, which would sound affected in English.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-22-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-22-2012, 11:40 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Mobile, Alabama

Mo-bill = right

Mo-bull = cell phone
Mo-beel = right

Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Wikkes- Barre is pronounced Wilksbury
Berra, like Yogi Berra.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:34 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There's nothing wrong with loozy-anna, a lot of people who were born there still say that (especially in North Looziana), and it was even more prevalent a few generations ago. Where do you think the brand of Luzianne Tea came from?

It seems to me that most people in North Carolina pronounce their state with five syllables, but people in South Carolina say only four syllables: South Ca'lina.

You can always tell an outsider in Wisconsin, who pronounce it wiss-consin. Local say wi-SKAHNsin. The S pronounces as if its part of the second syllable, not the first. It's a subtle difference, but people who are from there can always hear the foreign accent. Same for Milwaukee, which locals do not (or just barely) pronounce the L. Say it as if the three words are: Mew-wokkiwa-skonsin.

In Oregon, don't ever, ever say Oar-ree-gahnnn. It's pronounced like "Organ", with a slight vocal hitch between the R and the G.

Sault Ste. Marie and Sioux Falls are pronounced the same: SOO.

In Canada (while we're at it), the second T in Toronto is not pronounced. Newfoundland rhymes with "understand". Noofin-LAND. Now officially known as Newfoundland and Labrador, which is also stressed on the last syllable: labra-DORE.

Saint John, New Brunswick is NEVER abbreviated "St.", and the two words are stressed equally. St. John's, Newfoundland, is ALWAYS abbreviated "St.", and pronounced "s'n-JOHNS-noofin-LAND". The first and laslt syllables of Saskatchewan are de-stressed: s-SKATCHA-w'n. The capital rhymes with Vagina, don't be afraid to say Regina that way, nobody will laugh. Guelph, Ontario, is pronounced like GULF, but with a W in it: GWULF

The third syllable of Ottawa is held, like Ottawah, not sluffed off like Florida.

Montreal, in English, is MUNT-treal, but outside Quebec, most Canadians say MONN-treal. When speaking English in Quebec, it's kwebec, not the French kaybec, which would sound affected in English.
Nice post...

When I briefly lived in WI, I too noticed that most natives didn't pronounce the "L" in Milwaukee; It's like "Mwaukeee, W-SCAAAN-sin"..

Of course, here in MA, our local favorite is Worcester, MA, which is pronounced "Woostah"...( I say "Wooster", but I don't have the Bostonian accent)

Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
In Atlanta, there's a major street called: Ponce de Leon.
Locals pronounce it: Pawnce d'leeeeon.

After watching Wayne's World, I learned we all say "Milwaukee" wrong... WHO KNEW?!?!

When on the Seattle Underground tour, I learned that it's not pronounced the way we all know it.

In Queens, a lot of people are West Indian and Indian, and the way they pronounce the North Conduit sounds like (Cun-Dowit) instead of (CON-do-it)

Old 02-23-2012, 02:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
New Orleans street names are murder. A lot of them are French or Spanish origin, and you never know how much of the origanal language flavor they retain.

Tchoupitoulas = chop-it-TOO-lis
Carondelet = ca-ron-da-LET
Clio and Conti and Tonti and Iberville and Girod with long I.
Tulane = TWO-lane
Burgundy = ber-GUN-dy
Dauphine = daw-FEEN
Chartres = CHAR-terz
Orleans = oar-LEANZ
Simon Bolivar = SY-mun BAH-liver
Dryades = DRY-edz
Melpomene = MEL-pa-mean
Terpsichore = TERPS-i-coar
Baronne = ba-ROAN
Gravier = GRAV-yer
St. Roch = saint ROCK
Poydras = POY-drus
Freret = fer-RETT
Bellechasse = BELL-chase
Toledano = tah-la-DANN-o
Metairie = like MET-a-ree, or sometimes Metry.

A few Louisiana names are worth noting:

LaPlace = la-PLAHSS (no english word rhymes with it)
Natchitoches = NACK-a-tush
Tangipahoa = TANJ-pa-ho
Opelousas = AH-pa-LOO-sus
Maurepas = MOAR-a-paw
Bossier City = BOE-zher
Houma = HOE-ma
Thibodaux = TIBB-a-do
Plaquemine = PLAK-a-min
Atchafalaya = a-CHAFF-a-lye
Amite City - AY-MITT
Robert = roe-BAIR

Last edited by jtur88; 02-23-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Des Moines, WA is pronounced pretty much how it's spelled.

DEZ Moynes.
In Iowa it is pronounced Demoyn with the accent on the second syllable.

Do you know how the French would pronounce it?

It means 'of the monks'.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
In Texas it's:

mill for meal
dill for deal
fill for feel
vill for veal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Wait, there's a difference???
Uh, oh, must be one of those people who pronounce "pin" and "pen" the same way. For some reason that drives me NUTS. Same with "tin" and "ten". You hear it sometimes in an announcer's voice, as in, "More on this story on the Tin O'clock news."

Anyway, back to topic, you know the yellow property on the Monopoly board called Ventnor Avenue? I lived all my life in NJ but not until a friend moved to Ventnor City, just south of Atlantic City, did I know that it was pronounced "VENT-ner", not "VENT-nor."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.