Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times

Advertisements

Lizzord - Maybe it would be better to post in city vs city if you are limiting yourself to 3 locales.

I found your response pretty rude. Have you ever considered that someone else who is looking for a film career might be surfing these threads. Not everyone is as narrow minded as you appear to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM

398 posts, read 751,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Lizzord - Maybe it would be better to post in city vs city if you are limiting yourself to 3 locales.

I found your response pretty rude. Have you ever considered that someone else who is looking for a film career might be surfing these threads. Not everyone is as narrow minded as you appear to be.
3 major cities in 3 sections of the country isn't enough? I know stuff that I like, and Knoxville is not it.. neither is NYC or infinite amount of other cities, they don't meet the requirements I am looking for. What is rude? If you can't help with my requirements why post? It's too cold and not my thing, I'm about 6'5" and thin as a rail, originally grew up in the tropics before coming to SF.
That's like you saying you want somewhere that has snow and ski activities and tech jobs, saying you are looking at Denver, Seattle and Salt Lake City, then recommending you Miami.
How am I being narrow minded? It's MY thread lol...I would help out in their thread too and not tell them to go somewhere not in their requirements. If they want other cities they can make their own requirements. I have seen city vs city, it seems like too much city bashing and geared towards other things. Yes I have considered other people might look also, and if they want a warm city with writing/ film...they'd probably narrow it down to the same 3 cities! BTW TV production for Food Network and Travel Channel doesn't interest me, though I like watching them, good channels. There is no screenwriting really involved in that, I'm into art house and independent FILMS... Not cable tv show programming, quite different. That is the same reason I said "not tech writing" ...

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 02-20-2012 at 06:41 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
LA would is the obvious choice, but because of that it attracts almost every hack and wannabee right out of file/art/journalism school. You better be good and persistant.

Wilmington. North Carolina has a real nice film industry. Very pleasant town, near the ocean and a bit more laid back than LA.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
LA would is the obvious choice, but because of that it attracts almost every hack and wannabee right out of file/art/journalism school. You better be good and persistant.

Wilmington. North Carolina has a real nice film industry. Very pleasant town, near the ocean and a bit more laid back than LA.
Yeah, while I am not scared of living there... The competition and hacks would be crazy... I have had success in my current career, and definitely think I will have it in this one as well. But dealing with that crowd you are talking about might be kind of crazy, I was in that crowd once and know how it is.
Another consideration I have heard is to go to LA for a few years just to make some connections (i.e. into the lair of the beast), with my site sets on one of the other cities.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times
Both Austin and New Orleans would be good fits for your needs, but I think the winner is New Orleans for both film and writing. New Orleans is considered Hollywood of the South and there is much demand for talent there. New Orleans has a long history of successful writers and is an environment suitable for creativity.

That being said, most of the movies shot in New Orleans are big time Hollywood companies that are lured by the film incentives thrown at them by the state of La. Austin is actually smaller, more artsy homegrown films. I don't know much about the writing community in Austin, but judging by the plays, poetry readings, and other activities that occur at regular restaurants and bars around town, I would say that at the very least you would be able to gain employment doing something that you like until/if you hit it big. For instance, you might be able to write the plays for some of the local productions that occur at our various parks or various restaurant/club scene venues.

Hope this helps...

Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Both Austin and New Orleans would be good fits for your needs, but I think the winner is New Orleans for both film and writing. New Orleans is considered Hollywood of the South and there is much demand for talent there. New Orleans has a long history of successful writers and is an environment suitable for creativity.

That being said, most of the movies shot in New Orleans are big time Hollywood companies that are lured by the film incentives thrown at them by the state of La. Austin is actually smaller, more artsy homegrown films. I don't know much about the writing community in Austin, but judging by the plays, poetry readings, and other activities that occur at regular restaurants and bars around town, I would say that at the very least you would be able to gain employment doing something that you like until/if you hit it big. For instance, you might be able to write the plays for some of the local productions that occur at our various parks or various restaurant/club scene venues.

Hope this helps...
Hi CBach, sounds great and that is good information to know. I don't mind big time companies especially if they are something like Fox Searchlight or Miramax.

Is the main reason people aren't recommending LA because of biking/walking? Or Cost of Living? Or Both..?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
the cost of living here is not as bad as many think, you may have to downsize a bit, but the natural amenities and cultural varieties are worth it.

LA is a pretty Bike friendly city. but you will need a car to truly enjoy LA

Old 02-20-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
Hi CBach, sounds great and that is good information to know. I don't mind big time companies especially if they are something like Fox Searchlight or Miramax.

Is the main reason people aren't recommending LA because of biking/walking? Or Cost of Living? Or Both..?
Cost of living and competition. There are way too many people in LA with your skillsets trying to make it big. It's more likely you could make inroads in smaller markets like Austin and New Orleans than in LA. From there you might eventually make it out to LA but you'd be in a much better position, career-wise and financially as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 PM

I would think New Orleans would be the most "bike friendly" of the three cities, but Austin comes in a close second. New Orleans is compact and flat so that makes for easy biking.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,882 times
I would consider throwing Atlanta into the mix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.