Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 AM

98 posts, read 276,614 times

Advertisements

This is a fun thread for geography buffs who think they can do a better job of drawing the map of all states in the United States than the U.S. Government throughout the history of our country's expansion from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

Please explain how differently you would have done it and give a detailed picture of what the map would look like.

Mine is below:

There will be 44 states in the United States of America. There won't be a District of Columbia, that land will be part of Maryland. Therefore, the capital would be Washington, Maryland unless we stick with the first capital in Philadelphia.

Both Alaska and Hawaii remain the same; however, they won't be states only U.S. territories like the American Samoa or Commonwealths like Puerto Rico. I like the idea of having states in the U.S. mainland only with Kansas being the geographical center. Missouri will always be the bellwether state in the country.

Vermont and New Hampshire would be one state so are Connecticut and Rhode Island. Same goes for Delaware and Maryland. Small states seem like silly to me.

New York would have Erie so it wouldn't be in Pennsylvania.

Wheeling/Northern Panhandle of West Virginia would be part of Pennsylvania. WV already has other panhandle by Maryland.

The Carolinas would be one state. Asheville/mountainous part of North Carolina would be in Tennessee.

Georgia's southern tip would be in Florida. Pensacola, FL would be in Alabama. Touristy Florida doesn't need Pensacola.

Missouri Bootheel would be part of Arkansas.

Oklahoma Panhandle would be enlarged to include Amarillo. Texas/Oklahoma state line would be just south of Amarillo. Texas is already too big so why need Amarillo.

Las Vegas/southern tip of Nevada would be in Arizona so AZ would have more power to regulate the flow of water at Lake Meade, Hoover Dam, and the Grand Canyon. Reno would be an ideal largest city in Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post
This is a fun thread for geography buffs who think they can do a better job of drawing the map of all states in the United States than the U.S. Government throughout the history of our country's expansion from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

Please explain how differently you would have done it and give a detailed picture of what the map would look like.

Mine is below:

There will be 44 states in the United States of America. There won't be a District of Columbia, that land will be part of Maryland. Therefore, the capital would be Washington, Maryland unless we stick with the first capital in Philadelphia.

Both Alaska and Hawaii remain the same; however, they won't be states only U.S. territories like the American Samoa or Commonwealths like Puerto Rico. I like the idea of having states in the U.S. mainland only with Kansas being the geographical center. Missouri will always be the bellwether state in the country.

Vermont and New Hampshire would be one state so are Connecticut and Rhode Island. Same goes for Delaware and Maryland. Small states seem like silly to me.

New York would have Erie so it wouldn't be in Pennsylvania.

Wheeling/Northern Panhandle of West Virginia would be part of Pennsylvania. WV already has other panhandle by Maryland.

The Carolinas would be one state. Asheville/mountainous part of North Carolina would be in Tennessee.

Georgia's southern tip would be in Florida. Pensacola, FL would be in Alabama. Touristy Florida doesn't need Pensacola.

Missouri Bootheel would be part of Arkansas.

Oklahoma Panhandle would be enlarged to include Amarillo. Texas/Oklahoma state line would be just south of Amarillo. Texas is already too big so why need Amarillo.

Las Vegas/southern tip of Nevada would be in Arizona so AZ would have more power to regulate the flow of water at Lake Meade, Hoover Dam, and the Grand Canyon. Reno would be an ideal largest city in Nevada.

Georgia's southern tip would be in Florida.

Plus. the Northwestern part of GA would include Chattanooga. Where it should have been if the surveyor did not foul up his markings.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:11 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Illinois south of the I-24/I-57 intersection would be part of Kentucky and/or Missouri.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:19 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
I believe Escambia and Santa Rosa County,Fl would fit in well with Alabama.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:22 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Louisiana is the original land of the Louisiana purchase.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I believe Escambia and Santa Rosa County,Fl would fit in well with Alabama.
I agree that Florida Panhandle is more southern than the rest of Florida.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Georgia's southern tip would be in Florida.

Plus. the Northwestern part of GA would include Chattanooga. Where it should have been if the surveyor did not foul up his markings.
I believe Chattanooga fits better with Tennessee than it would in Georgia.

The shape of Tennessee would be strange if Chattanooga isn't included.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Illinois south of the I-24/I-57 intersection would be part of Kentucky and/or Missouri.
I have thought about that. Illinois could be split into two states with southern half being more like Missouri and Kentucky.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Louisiana is the original land of the Louisiana purchase.
Louisiana Purchase was a vast piece of land. Louisiana would be bigger than Texas and Alaska if the entire LA Purchase was created as one state.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Florida Panhandle should be part of Alabama.

A big hunk of New Mexico should be part of Texas (as the US government actually agreed it would be if it ever became part of the US as part of the deal to make Texas a state).

California should be split into three states.

Michigan should be split into two states one for each peninsula.

Montana should be two states.

The Panama Canal Zone should have been made a state.

Southern Alaska should be a state. The northern part of the state of Alaska should still be a territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.