Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 01:04 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville, Florida covers over 885 square miles. It's no wonder the population is like 900,000. Miami, Florida packs 450,000 into 55 square miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 05:10 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Because I'm a geek, I decided to make up my own criteria. Now, "major city" can mean different things to different people, but let's try to define it. Here's the definition I'm using - this is meant to cast as wide a net as possible, which I think is a good way to answer this question:

Either MSA with circa 500K and up, or city population circa 200K and up.

Here's states with more than two major cities, by this definition:

California: Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, San Diego, Sacramento, Long Beach, Anaheim, Fresno, Bakersfield, Stockton, Riverside, San Bernardino
Texas: Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso
Florida: Miami, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Orlando, Jacksonville, Hialeah
New York: New York City, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany
Ohio: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Toledo, Akron, Dayton, Youngstown
North Carolina: Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston-Salem
Pennsylvania: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, Scranton
Virginia: Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Richmond, Arlington
Tennessee: Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville
Don't forget Harrisburg in Pennsylvania(over 500,000)........Also York(CSA with Gettysburgh) and Lancaster, both nearly at the 500,000 mark..

Pennsylvania metropolitan areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lancaster, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-20-2011, 05:34 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
for Philly to retain the 5th spot they are gonna need 40K new people in the metro above the 2009 estimate. If you think they achieved that then you are kidding yourself man.

DO you really think the Philly metro increased from 5.7M in 2000 to 6M in 2010? I don't think so.

I think it is fairly safe to say that Houston is already in the 5th spot, and was probably there back in last april based on the numbers released thus far.
I don't know......I think Philadelphia just surpassed 6,000,000 in it's MSA???? And the Census Bureau has acknowledged it has undercounted both the city of Philadelphia and it's metropolitan area for years....and is adjusting it's data accordingly.

Metro populations (Nov. 15, 2010) | Business First

AS of November, 2010; I find Philadelphia's MSA population to be: 6,009,363.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Jacksonville, Florida covers over 885 square miles. It's no wonder the population is like 900,000. Miami, Florida packs 450,000 into 55 square miles.
Miami actually packs that into less than 36 square miles of land. The rest of the official city limits is in Biscayne Bay. Additionally, MiamiDade County packs its 2.5 million into a small fraction of the actual land. The majority of the "land" in the county is protected wetlands.

I have yet to find how much of the land in MiamiDade's land is actually developable but my guess is that it's probably less than 400 square miles.

Despite "official" population of Florida's cities, it's my opinion that Miami is truly the state's only major city.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I don't know......I think Philadelphia just surpassed 6,000,000 in it's MSA???? And the Census Bureau has acknowledged it has undercounted both the city of Philadelphia and it's metropolitan area for years....and is adjusting it's data accordingly.

Metro populations (Nov. 15, 2010) | Business First

AS of November, 2010; I find Philadelphia's MSA population to be: 6,009,363.
use that same website and look up the figure given for Houston. The Figure should be about 50, 000 more than the figure given for Philly.

Those are estimates up till Nov 15. The Census figures for Philly is going to be less, just like every other metro quoted on there are less because the Census cutoff date was april, 7 months before that estimate.

Yes Philly was underestimated to the tune of over 100K but that was already added back in 2008. and with that 100K back in 08, Philly was still just barely hovering over Houston.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,981 times
California:

Los Angeles
San Diego
Fresno
San Francisco
Oakland
San Jose
Sacramento
Long Beach

Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
For me this seems to be a showdown between California, Florida, Texas, and Ohio. Florida has Tampa Bay, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, St. Petersburg, Fort Myers, Naples, Orlando, Daytona Beach, and Miami. Texas has Houston, Waco, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin, Wichita Falls, Amarillo, and El Paso. Ohio has Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown, and Portsmouth. California has San Diego, Los Angeles, San Jose, Sacramento, and San Francisco. OHio has an astounding number of major cities for a state its size (it certainly is one of the smaller states as far as land area goes.

California wins hands down everybody else is a ALSO RUN.....

American Cities Over 100,000 Population
List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
use that same website and look up the figure given for Houston. The Figure should be about 50, 000 more than the figure given for Philly.

Those are estimates up till Nov 15. The Census figures for Philly is going to be less, just like every other metro quoted on there are less because the Census cutoff date was april, 7 months before that estimate.

Yes Philly was underestimated to the tune of over 100K but that was already added back in 2008. and with that 100K back in 08, Philly was still just barely hovering over Houston.

Though honestly because Philly's population change is less significant percentage wise the estimates may be a little tighter, will see soon enough

On this topic as a whole, which state has the most Metros in the top 50, seems like it would be the typical 3 largest states (CA, TX, FL)

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-24-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 12:30 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Things are actually starting to bud here. There are a couple of cherry trees in my neighborhood that have started to bloom, along with a crabapple tree or two. The daffodils are popping, and I saw my first thrift (purple ground cover) blooming yesterday on the way home. I LOVE spring here.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's been in the low 70's every day for about 5 days straight now.

Ah Spring has sprung, I cant wait for it here, but not sure what this has to do with the State with the most Large Cities John

I know I have personally posted in the wrong thread before too

Old 02-24-2011, 12:35 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Ah Spring has sprung, I cant wait for it here, but not sure what this has to do with the State with the most Large Cities John

I know I have personally posted in the wrong thread before too
Oops! The price paid for posting at work........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.