Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 PM

125 posts, read 268,578 times

Advertisements

how tolerant are people of interracial relationships in your area?

surprisingly down here even though you have your racists, I have not had too many problems with dating

Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,341 times
We honestly don't really care. Hell, most of the younger adults have dated people of different races. I guess it's possible that you might get looks in more upscale, old money places but even that I'm not sure about. It's a different age around these parts, and it's never really been racist to begin with, just had tensions between people of different races who were both struggling and in the same position.

If you went to Penn or Drexel or Temple or really anywhere in the Philadelphia metro, you'd just be another person.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 AM

125 posts, read 268,578 times
I see then. I have always read online posts by new yorkers saying how rare it is for people from my culture to engage in interracial relationships, I go, REALLY? This crap doesn't even happen in new york?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:14 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,341 times
I think it depends on where you live. Kids who grow up together and go to school together aren't going to see each other as white, black, Asian, whatever. They're not going to have any qualms about interracial dating. The only people who are racist or even care about that sort of thing around here are oldheads who watched their neighborhoods deteriorate and don't have an objective view of the situation and people who grew up in the sheltered suburbs.

If you lived in University City or even Upper Darby, to name two very diverse places, people honestly wouldn't care who you wanted to date.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:56 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
I'm guessing from your forum name you're East Indian (correct me if I'm wrong). A good friend of my sister is Indian from Uganda recently her daughter got married. Her fiancee is of Swedish background I think. Her mom and dad were against it at first where as his parents didn't care (ha).

My best friend is originally from Atlanta. I've seen pictures around his house of him and his friends and they're a mixed group (I think his best friend growing up was of Chinese background). As far as the Bay Area - it goes without saying no one gives an interracial couple a second glance here and I believe almost everyone has friends of other races.

To be honest, after reading your first post I get the feeling there may be more to your issues with white people than meets the eye. I don't know you and I don't know them, its just the vibe I get from the verbiage you chose. Another question that could be asked (besides "Are white people in Georgia representative of white people everywhere") is are you going to approach white people everywhere the same way you do white people in Georgia.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
georgia is the least integrated state, it's overwhelming majority black. georgia is probably about 90% black overall. other states are a little more diverse.
Are you kidding me? Georgia is majority white by a long shot.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Last I checked, 49 of the 50 states are majority white.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist Liberal View Post
I'm a white guy and my boyfriend is a black Haitian guy. You can't get any more diverse than that.
Does he believe in God? THAT would be a boost to your diversity!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
To the OP's original post:

I can't speak for all whites in all areas of the country, but I can tell you what I know (as a white guy):

No, your generalizations are not all correct.....not even close, actually. What you are talking about represents a different sect of society: rich snobby suburbanites. They are racist, aloof, close-knit, ignorant, and arrogant about any/everything......white/black/Hispanic/Asian, whatever. The white guys I know are quick to be friendly to anyone, but probably even moreso to another race (which is sad to me, because it says they have something to prove -- i.e. that whites are friendly/cool). I know other whites from big cities like Chicago who are more open to racist jokes and racism in general, but it's more of a cultural upbringing thing than an actual experience thing (which means, their parents tell them the "horrors" of "colored people", they believe it and act out that way in school and in front of family/friends, but really have no solid grounding on how they TRULY feel about race relations because they have little experience and even less encouragement).

IMO, if anyone ever acts like they're putting on a front ("fronting") and being racist, it's because they are trying to fit into the mold that they know and grew up with, but don't necessarily feel that way. This is what I've found, anyways.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:30 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post

Georgia has alot of African Americans compared to most states. 30 percent of the state is black. Compared to only 12 percent nationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.