Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:10 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

Im not irish, and not looking for a place to live, just curious about demographic trends.

With the current crisis seems like lots of Irish folks are emigrating. Many of course are going to other EU countries, and many to Canada or Australia, IIUC. However I do see every so often a request for info from a would be emigrant in the NYC forum. There are also a few in the Boston forum. In the NYC forum the existence of a nabe, woodlawn in the bronx, with lots of recent irish immigrants is noted.

Are there any other metros where irish immigrants are arriving in the USA? Are there any neighborhoods other than Woodlawn where they are having a notable impact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,099 times
I am Irish and I am going to emigrate to the US mainly NYC. Ireland is not doing to good but its also not doing as bad as the media make it out to be. I want to go to NYC because its NYC. Its probaly not the best option for me as Australia and Canada would be because the US is not doing to great themselves. Australia is to hot and I hate the idea of Christmas in the summer and aparently Canada is just boring(so I have been told).

Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Irish immigration bill draws ire from advocates

Old 03-29-2012, 11:02 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Irish immigrants continue to arrive to the US - 76,400 left Ireland in 2011 | Irish News | IrishCentral

Old 03-29-2012, 11:51 AM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
Interesting links, kidphilly, I wasn't aware that these bills existed. Learn something new every day!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,099 times
I would love to go to the US but its just so hard. I wish they would make it easier for us.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:17 PM

468 posts, read 786,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
I am Irish and I am going to emigrate to the US mainly NYC. Ireland is not doing to good but its also not doing as bad as the media make it out to be. I want to go to NYC because its NYC. Its probaly not the best option for me as Australia and Canada would be because the US is not doing to great themselves. Australia is to hot and I hate the idea of Christmas in the summer and aparently Canada is just boring(so I have been told).
A lot of the United States has summers that are hot by Irish standards, even New York City.

We could use skilled immigrants in the South, where I live.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
There is some Irish immigration to San Francisco. I am not sure Aer Lingus flies there, but I think it has/does. I've seen two Aer Lingus planes parked at Boston Logan next to each other, so that says something. Don't know how much of it caters to immigrants from previous waves. NYC is expensive and parts of it are really dense, that it really can make you feel claustrophobic. Don't know what you do and you don't need to tell us.

Never been to Australia. However, there is some recent Irish immigration to Montreal Canada. It features a colder winter than Ireland would, but what an interesting city. Do you speak French or do you want to learn? (There are Anglophones in Montreal, too). I think Toronto is Canada's economic engine, but if it's going to be cold, I'd pick Montreal because it's way more fascinating.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
in the current state of things in ireland and with a decent immigration, maybe a rebirth of the irish mob. some good pubs could come over. i was just in nyc a couple weeks ago and went to one. the owner was irish and the waitress i talked to was too.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 03-30-2012 at 02:11 AM..

Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
We are still getting some Irish immigrants or have in relatively recent years. Here's an interesting article: Syracuse lawyer to challenge Maffei in Democratic primary | syracuse.com

Actually, the Syracuse metro has a strong Irish American community and the metropolitan area has one of the highest percentages of Irish Americans in the US. Many start off in the Tipperary Hill neighborhorhood on Syracuse's West Side and many move to Westvale or Marcellus, which are a couple of Western suburbs/towns in the Syracuse area, but you can find such people all over the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.