Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 PM

34 posts, read 181,909 times

Advertisements

I know the North has residents who moved from the South for many reasons. I'm considering a move up north from my home state of Mississippi for a change.

I am looking into Minnesota (Twin Cities), Wisconsin (Madison), Illinois (Chicago suburbs), Ohio (Columbus), Pennsylvania, New York, and Massachusetts (Boston suburbs). I might give Kansas City and Indianapolis a try.

Finding a job won't be an issue since I'm a Registered Nurse. Healthcare is booming regardless of where you are!

What's like living up north? Do you like it or hate it?

Are the northerners welcoming and friendly where making friends won't be an issue or does that depend where you are?

Can anyone suggest northern states where southerners are more likely to feel at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
You would probably feel closest to home in most parts of Missouri. I'm from southeastern Missouri and many people (including myself) in my part of the state actually consider themselves to be southern. Regardless, there is a huge variety & a huge difference between the midwest and the northeast. Maybe you could be more specific on what your looking for?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissRN View Post
I know the North has residents who moved from the South for many reasons. I'm considering a move up north from my home state of Mississippi for a change.

I am looking into Minnesota (Twin Cities), Wisconsin (Madison), Illinois (Chicago suburbs), Ohio (Columbus), Pennsylvania, New York, and Massachusetts (Boston suburbs). I might give Kansas City and Indianapolis a try.

Finding a job won't be an issue since I'm a Registered Nurse. Healthcare is booming regardless of where you are!

Are the northerners welcoming and friendly where making friends won't be an issue or does that depend where you are?

Can anyone suggest northern states where southerners are more likely to feel at home?
I moved from Florida and lived up north for many years (DC, Philly, NYC) and would recommend NYC the most. It truly is a melting pot of people from all over and despite the reputation quite friendly in my opinion. The medical community tends to be sociable so I don't think you'll have trouble meeting others regardless of where you go. What may be off-putting is the concrete jungle aspect of where you would live as many from more rural areas find living in the middle of NYC to be overwhelming. For that reason I'd recommend looking at Hoboken, NJ or Astoria in Queens which are easy commutes into the city via subway yet more human scale in terms of buildings, having greenery and peace/relative quiet at night.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I moved from Florida and lived up north for many years (DC, Philly, NYC) and would recommend NYC the most. It truly is a melting pot of people from all over and despite the reputation quite friendly in my opinion. The medical community tends to be sociable so I don't think you'll have trouble meeting others regardless of where you go. What may be off-putting is the concrete jungle aspect of where you would live as many from more rural areas find living in the middle of NYC to be overwhelming. For that reason I'd recommend looking at Hoboken, NJ or Astoria in Queens which are easy commutes into the city via subway yet more human scale in terms of buildings, having greenery and peace/relative quiet at night.
True or look into other areas in close proximity like Nyack, the Rivertowns of Westchester County(Peekskill, Ossining, Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, Croton-on-Hudson, Irvington, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow and Hastings-on-Hudson), White Plains, New Rochelle, Mamaroneck, Valley Stream, Montclair NJ and the Fleetwood area of Mount Vernon, among others.

Also, what are you looking for in a community?

Considering the communities that you've mentioned, look into Ann Arbor MI. Michigan is a state that got a lot of Black and White Southerners due to the Auto industry. So, it could be worth considering.

BTW-My dad is from Holmes County.....

Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I would probably choose somewhere in the southern half of Indiana.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:45 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I would probably choose somewhere in the southern half of Indiana.
Same with Ohio and Illinois too.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:25 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
I was born up north but have lived in the south in VA as well as Houston for 26 years. I am now back up north. I have found people are friendly everywhere I've lived, but there are differences. In general, I've found strangers are more cordial and polite to one another in the south. It's not that northerners are rude, but don't expect everyone you walk by to ask how you're doing. On the other hand, I've found that I get invited into more people's homes in the north for dinner, drinks or whatever in the north than I did when in the south.

As for meeting new people and making friends, I've found it matters less about where I've lived than what the efforts I've made to reach out. To meet people after each move, I simply put myself into venues where I was likely to meet compatible people - volunteering, clubs, etc.
Quote:
I don't know what that feels like for you - whether it is the people, the climate, the pace, the topography or some combination of these attributes plus other things. I'm sure you know you'll ultimately need to visit yourself and see if you feel at home there.

Hope this has helped a bit. Best of luck.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:

Indianapolis is very welcoming to southerns.
Actually Indiana has a good southern Culture located in southern Indiana which is just south of Indy.
heck i even think they speak like Southerns. more along the lines of how kentuckians speak.
Indianapolis is also very affordable. Lowest cost of living of any major city and the nations most affordable housing market. Indianapolis is also within a days drive to 75% of the United States Population.
Were also the fastest growing region in the midwest and heck just today Rolls Royce announced they are investing over 50M dollars into Indianapolis and adding 100 full time high paying jobs.
Very good news i have to say especially in a down economy like this.
Indianapolis also has very friendly helpful down to earth people i have been to quite a few places and you really can't compete with Hoosier Hospitality. During Super Bowl 46 our Hoosier Hospitality was showcased around the world and well be the first northern city to be on the Super Bowl rotation list since the Media and NFL praised Indy for being a host city. The Indy 500 also is the largest single day sporting event in the world. 400,000 people come to our city to see this major event. There is even a marathon a few weeks before the race in honor of this event.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
I'd say that portions of Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Kansas would all fit this description..also Pennsylvania, Maryland and Delaware.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'd say that portions of Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Kansas would all fit this description..also Pennsylvania, Maryland and Delaware.
Yeah if he/she wants to remain in the South.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.