Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California vs Florida vs Hawaii which state has the best looking palm trees
California 20 20.00%
Florida 32 32.00%
Hawaii 48 48.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:17 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Ok yes in physical location South Florida is not in the tropics just as I said. But that is NOT how climates are classified. There are plenty of areas in the tropics which do not get tropical climate. Again if you want to go by the simplied "tropics" yes Miami is not tropical. If you want to go by science and how climates are actually classified Miami is mot certainly a tropical climate. Key West is not in the tropics, the Bahamas are not in the tropics.

That being the case you are telling me Miami and South Carolina have the same climate? Or even Miami and Jacksonville. They are very different climates. There are other tropical locations that are not in the tropics which are tropical. And there locations in the tropics which are not tropical due to elevation. Temperature and Rain Fall is what climates are on based on.

But this has been debated enough (too much) in the Miami threads. If you want to beleive the tropics map thats your choice. I will take the math/science. As shown in the maps I posted, Miami is without a doubt is classified as a tropical climate. There is a difference between "tropics" and "tropical" or "tropical Climate" One has to do with location and sun light. The other has to do with temperature and rainfall. One is a location, the other is a climate.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,305 times
There are plenty of places within the tropics that don't feel tropical. One is Lima, Peru. It's cooled by the pacific.

Miami feels tropical though some winters can push the envelope. It doesn't matter, it's tropical enough for me and you're not going to get a big difference by going to havanna, cuba which IS in the tropics

Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
There are plenty of places within the tropics that don't feel tropical. One is Lima, Peru. It's cooled by the pacific.

Miami feels tropical though some winters can push the envelope. It doesn't matter, it's tropical enough for me and you're not going to get a big difference by going to havanna, cuba which IS in the tropics
I agree. Where else in the continental US can you grow and maintain Coconut Palms? SoFla's the only place.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree. Where else in the continental US can you grow and maintain Coconut Palms? SoFla's the only place.
Supposedly also can be grown in deep S. Texas like Brownsville and on South Padre Island. However, the area is very poor and can't purchase them as readily as S. Florida nor do as expensive landscaping. They can't be imported from Mexico. Garden centers have to grow them from scratch and sell them. Appears that is not done there, but some people have grown their own.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Supposedly also can be grown in deep S. Texas like Brownsville and on South Padre Island. However, the area is very poor and can't purchase them as readily as S. Florida nor do as expensive landscaping. They can't be imported from Mexico. Garden centers have to grow them from scratch and sell them. Appears that is not done there, but some people have grown their own.
Oh yeah, that is true. South Texas has almost as much variety as SoFla when it comes to palms.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 AM

133 posts, read 236,450 times
I voted for Hawaii, even though I've never been. But from the pictures I've seen, it gives it all the justice in the world.

California comes next, they grow Much taller than the palms in FL. I'm assuming it's a dry vs humid thing in that regard. Florida Palms can be very similar to Hawaii's trees in many spots along the coast, but past that you'll find a lot of short, dried up palm trees- much of them Cabbage palms, which have an interesting trunk anyway.

Edit: Now that I put more thought I to it, FL takes out CA easily, due to the variety of Palms in comparison

Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
But again Royal Palms are very rare in Ca. It gets to cool in California for palms that bear fruit to thrive. Thats why I rank Ca dead last in this discussion.
They are rare now, but obviously they can grow well in coastal areas. There is a very wide variety of palms that grow where I lived in Orange County where it never got below freezing. You could easily create a very tropical look with all sorts of palms and other tropicals.

I prefer SoCal because of the lower humidity... it's just more pleasant to be outdoors.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
They are rare now, but obviously they can grow well in coastal areas. There is a very wide variety of palms that grow where I lived in Orange County where it never got below freezing. You could easily create a very tropical look with all sorts of palms and other tropicals.

I prefer SoCal because of the lower humidity... it's just more pleasant to be outdoors.
There are parts of CA and FL that look identical.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

Can't argue with weather, but when IT comes to palms Ca is very limited in tropical foilage.

But I do love the tall palms in the Hollywood backdrop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.