Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
no are you freaking blind?

Can you see the graph???
How you can call me freaking blind cause I didn't check your stupid forum.

If you had eyes you that worked you would see Pittsburgh is currently at about 1140 which IS above its 08 peak which was about 1160.

can you read a graph? I don't care what spikes occurred after, their are spikes on every graph. The fact of the matter remains. Houston is the only one CURRENTLY above their 08 high

Pittsburgh looked liked it made it to 08 levels for xMas but abruptly dropped back below it again once those xMas jobs dried up.
Look at the freaking graph before you start throwing insults at people.
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

What was that? Pittsburgh has had all time highs for amount of jobs since June 2011 so don't tell me I'm wrong. I know my metro's data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 10:27 PM

You cant compare job numbers in January to June.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

What was that? Pittsburgh has had all time highs for amount of jobs since June 2011 so don't tell me I'm wrong. I know my metro's data.
YOU ARE WRONG.
Using YOUR very own stats I get this:

all time high June 2008 - 1165.3K
Currently -1134.0K

If you are as bad at numbers as you are at graphs I will help you out.

1165 is a bigger number than 1134.

Pittsburgh is NOT at a higher number than their 2008 high.

you are here calling people blind and you don't even know what the heck I'am talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
You cant compare job numbers in January to June.
don't tell me what to compare, you can't come in now and change my point to suit your point. Fact of the matter is Pittsburgh is NOT passed its 08 high.

and I am done arguing with you. You are just changing things around, even though the facts speak for themselves

Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
YOU ARE WRONG.
Using YOUR very own stats I get this:

all time high June 2008 - 1165.3K
Currently -1134.0K

If you are as bad at numbers as you are at graphs I will help you out.

1165 is a bigger number than 1134.

Pittsburgh is NOT at a higher number than their 2008 high.

you are here calling people blind and you don't even know what the heck I'am talking about
You really don't know how to compare employment over time. You CANT compare employment over different months ONLY YEAR OVER YEAR BY THE SAME MONTh to get an accurate comparison. How do you even compare June to January in a northern city with employment? Pittsburgh had more jobs in October, November,December,and January than any of their respective months before. Why can't you understand that? We are back up to our peak employment whether you like it or not.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:00 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Those are pretty interesting graphs if you can ignore the bickering.

But I agree that if the point is to look at time trends, seasonally-adjusted numbers would have been more appropriate.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
no are you freaking blind?

Can you see the graph???
How you can call me freaking blind cause I didn't check your stupid forum.

If you had eyes you that worked you would see Pittsburgh is currently at about 1140 which IS not above its 08 peak which was about 1160.

can you read a graph? I don't care what spikes occurred after, their are spikes on every graph. The fact of the matter remains. Houston is the only one CURRENTLY above their 08 high

Pittsburgh looked liked it made it to 08 levels for xMas but abruptly dropped back below it again once those xMas jobs dried up.
Look at the freaking graph before you start throwing insults at people.
Pittsburgh is clearly above where they started if you look at where the line starts and where it ends.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:36 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
wow, the California cities are all below where they were 10 years ago.

Minneapolis, Miami and Tampa didn't seem to change much, Cleveland took a nose dive. Boston and Cinci are lower than where they started too.

Houston is the only one above its 2008 peak.

DFW was neck and neck with DC in 08
Minneapolis is up 65K from its 2010 low, or about 4.0%....not stellar but not exactly flat either. It's one of the better jobs markets in the country. Miami is also up about 100K jobs from its 2010 low, or about 4.5%. Houston's job growth IS amazing, however, and there is nothing I have seen to date that has suggested that growth is going to slow any time soon (at least, not at a regional or micro level).

What I noticed most interesting abou the graphs was the ebb and flow of each graph year-to-year, and within each year! It looks like employment is almost ALWAYS lowest in January and June, and spikes in March and October.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
^Those spikes are seasonal jobs. Is best to look at the January numbers for each year, which represents the most stable jobs and also is the most accurate assessment of the year as it's partly based on W2 forms. The rest of the months are estimates based on polls. I don't trust the BLS methodology that much (have been tracking BLS data for over 12 years) but of all methods the January count is probably the most reliable available.

Not good to see that most cities hover around same job count from 10 years ago, some even below 10 years ago. Who would've thought SF/LA would be down there with Detroit and Cleveland. Looks like in the Midwest only MSP, KC, Indy and Columbus are above the mark from 10 years ago and doing OK recovering last couple years - similar to ATL. Those are considered the 'new economy' cities of the Midwest.

Last edited by xenokc; 03-14-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Its tough to compare based on those graphs alone because the numbers on each graph are different for each metro area.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
^Not too difficult. The scales are different but the trends are still relevant. Some cities are below where they were 10 years ago. Only a few are near their own 2008 peak.

The point is comparing the actual counts to the same city and compare the _trends_ to other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.