Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:00 AM

877 posts, read 2,012,902 times

Advertisements

Upstate is gorgeous, especially those places you mentioned but it is dead up there. There is not much to do.

N. Cal - did you mean SF/Bay Area? Then, yes. I like being in large cities, pretty much because I grew up in one and it's hard to imagine myself adjusting to a lesser populated area..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 AM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Upstate is gorgeous, especially those places you mentioned but it is dead up there. There is not much to do.

N. Cal - did you mean SF/Bay Area? Then, yes. I like being in large cities, pretty much because I grew up in one and it's hard to imagine myself adjusting to a lesser populated area..
In terms of what? There actually is quite a bit to do, considering that Upstate NY essentially is like a state in and of itself.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 AM

121 posts, read 295,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Although upstate NY is alright (especially the Adirondacks) Northern California is at a whole different level

The Pacific Coast vs. Lake ontario coast..... really??

San Francisco vs. all upstate cities combined.... really??

Finger lakes vs. Lake Tahoe..... kinda close here

Adirondacks vs. Sierra Nevada, Yosemite, Kings Canyon.... etc.... really??

Where Upstate wins easily is extremely low cost of living and quaint little villages like Seneca Falls, Fredonia, New Paltz, Lake Placid, Saranac Lake etc.

Overall though, not really a contest....

Much better comparison would be, say, Western North Carolina vs. Upstate NY or Western Massachusetts vs. Upstate NY
This is a matter of perspective...Both these regions are two of my favorite regions in the country.

The PCH is hard to beat as already mentioned although the great lakes have their own beauty.

Finger lakes are scenic as there are wineries around beautiful lakes and the region looks different in different seasons...so a reason to revisit the region.

SFO is a world class city but living in upstate I would look at multiple US and Canadian cities in reasonable driving distance.

Adirondacks being older are not as majestic as the West coast mountains but it is a very large park (Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier and Grand Canyon National Parks combined) with lotta lakes and villages.

The diversity in weather makes these places unique in each season and the overall low of cost of living with all the natural and urban scenery easily accessible makes it a good place to live.

But if i had to move out west...I would choose North CA.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of what? There actually is quite a bit to do, considering that Upstate NY essentially is like a state in and of itself.

Maybe because I'm from the city and I'm so used to noise, lots of people and everything at convenience but I find that most shopping areas, activities can be miles away. I go apple picking every year and even so, the closest fun things to do are miles apart.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,437 times
California is about twice as populous a state as New York, so you get all the problems that come with that as well. Another point for Upstate NY, if you ask me.

No earthquakes, brush fires or mudslides. (And with global warming, the winters are getting less severe as well.)

I think New York is probably just as broke as California is, except New York does a better job of pretending it isn't, IMHO.

Also, you can actually LIVE in upstate New York's beautiful wine region without being super rich or a migrant worker. Can't say that for Napa.

Lower cost of living, less catastrophic (and less hot) weather, less pretentiousness, almost equal outdoor opportunities, a less nasty political climate, give me Upstate NY every time.

Also, upstate cops don't pepper spray people.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Maybe because I'm from the city and I'm so useda smaller scale. to noise, lots of people and everything at convenience but I find that most shopping areas, activities can be miles away. I go apple picking every year and even so, the closest fun things to do are miles apart.
Actually, you can go apple picking maybe 5-10 miles outside of Syracuse. That is something that I like about Upstate NY in terms of getting in and out of the city to the country and vice versa quickly. It isn't like there aren't cities up here. It's just on a smaller scale.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 PM

628 posts, read 663,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Although upstate NY is alright (especially the Adirondacks) Northern California is at a whole different level

The Pacific Coast vs. Lake ontario coast..... really??

San Francisco vs. all upstate cities combined.... really??

Finger lakes vs. Lake Tahoe..... kinda close here

Adirondacks vs. Sierra Nevada, Yosemite, Kings Canyon.... etc.... really??

Where Upstate wins easily is extremely low cost of living and quaint little villages like Seneca Falls, Fredonia, New Paltz, Lake Placid, Saranac Lake etc.

Overall though, not really a contest....

Much better comparison would be, say, Western North Carolina vs. Upstate NY or Western Massachusetts vs. Upstate NY
Your forgeting Niagara Falls. No Cal has nothing that can compete there. Also, NY has larger parks, the adirondacks for example are bigger than every park in california combined.

As for water, it is a bit disingenous to include the pacific, but not the atlantic. Whether one is "better" than the other is basically a question of whether one prefers east coast or west coast culture. For those who are born and raised east coast, you will have a hard time finding any that would take the pacific over the atlantic.

For me, NY is the hands down winner here. But of course, I can certainly see the attraction to No Cal.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Your forgeting Niagara Falls. No Cal has nothing that can compete there. Also, NY has larger parks, the adirondacks for example are bigger than every park in california combined.

As for water, it is a bit disingenous to include the pacific, but not the atlantic. Whether one is "better" than the other is basically a question of whether one prefers east coast or west coast culture. For those who are born and raised east coast, you will have a hard time finding any that would take the pacific over the atlantic.

For me, NY is the hands down winner here. But of course, I can certainly see the attraction to No Cal.
Also, what about the Catskills, the Grand Canyon of the East in Letchworth State Park, the 1000 Islands, Lake Champlain, the quaint villages in the Finger Lakes and beyond, Chautauqua Lake and the Erie Canal, amongst other things? There are some nice urban neighborhoods throughout Upstate NY too.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:51 AM

628 posts, read 663,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, what about the Catskills, the Grand Canyon of the East in Letchworth State Park, the 1000 Islands, Lake Champlain, the quaint villages in the Finger Lakes and beyond, Chautauqua Lake and the Erie Canal, amongst other things? There are some nice urban neighborhoods throughout Upstate NY too.
Very true, your points are always well taken. I dont think upstate gets enough credit for the neigborhoods, particularily in albany and syracuse. Too ofen people only talk about the "character" of the neighborhoods in brooklyn, queens, etc.. but I will put syracuse's northside (salina st.), eastwood, etc.. against any of those.

No. Cal, for obvious reasons cannot compete with that tradition. Just sit in a barborshop on the northside or get a drink at a james st. bar and listen to the stories of the "old neighborhood"...just great stuff there. Not to mention the best italian food on the planet.

Also, I'm a history nerd so having battlegrounds from the revolutionary war and the war of 1812 in my backyard is pretty cool.

Acknowledgment needs to go to the amazing musuem of glass in corning as well, pure artistry in that town.

I just think the media fails to do upstate as a whole any justice - too often it is framed against NYC and not framed as the diverse area that it is (great urban and rural areas).

Again, I imagine cal is a great place to live, but I have only been there for seven total days so it is certainly not fair for me to compare and contrast (as I often rail against those who do just that on these boards). All I can say is that I love NY, and I love people who embrace their roots and their hometowns, I grew up in hempstead and I love my hempers' too, so dont feel left out LI. so to all those who are from/live in Northern California I say enjoy it and stay proud.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 AM

159 posts, read 428,556 times
Definitely northern CA -- the Shasta area, in particular, is just stunning.

NY, on the other hand, is NY -- high taxes, Yankees fans, bad roads... bleh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.