Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:24 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times

Advertisements

I have nothing against Mexicans, but why is it that a lot of people who are not from diverse cities think all Hispanic people are Mexicans? Not all Hispanics like Soccer. Mainly, the people from South America are the ones that like Soccer..

So what are your inputs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Mexicans are just the largest spanish speaking group in the U.S. so that's what comes to mind for most people. I know we find it odd because in New York it's only in the last decade or so have we seen lots of Mexicans coming in, whereas we've had Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Colombians, Panamanians, Cubans for ages, plus now lots of immigrants from other parts of Latin America. For us, the Mexicans are latecomers, for everybody else, they've been there forever.

And by the way, love that screen name!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 PM

124 posts, read 238,891 times
It is an stereotype from the white people

Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
Here in California, most of our Hispanics are Mexican, but that's surprising that in an area where there's various types of Hispanics people still think that.
I'm part Hispanic (from Spain) but I'm also blond haired and blue eyed, it's annoying when people say "oh you don't look Spanish" when they don't realise Spain is in Europe and Spanish shouldn't refer to all Spanish-speaking cultures.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Mexicans are just the largest spanish speaking group in the U.S. so that's what comes to mind for most people. I know we find it odd because in New York it's only in the last decade or so have we seen lots of Mexicans coming in, whereas we've had Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Colombians, Panamanians, Cubans for ages, plus now lots of immigrants from other parts of Latin America. For us, the Mexicans are latecomers, for everybody else, they've been there forever.

And by the way, love that screen name!
Sums it up when it comes to New Yorkers and Mexicans.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 PM

343 posts, read 932,451 times
In most of the US, the Hispanic population is rather homogeneous with respect to country of origin. Overall, Mexicans make up about two-thirds of all Hispanics, and in most of the west, they are close to 100%. In these areas, it seems likely that Hispanic would be synonymous with Mexican, since there are few individuals from other countries. Parts of california might be a slight exception since Central American populations are larger there. In the northeast, Puerto Ricans are the majority of Hispanics in many locales.

But I would also question your original premise. Is it actually true that most people think all Hispanics are Mexicans? What's your evidence of this?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
I think most in the U.S. DO think most hispanics are Mexicans. I have no evidence, other than just living in the western U.S. my entire life. This has been my experience. No, not agreeing with the premise, but understanding that most do.

Bottom line, if anyone has noticed, Mexican immigration, both legal and illegal has almost slowed to a stand still. Reasons: Nobody has come out and said it, but the U.S. economy is probably the biggest factor. Jobs. Not so many.

This is important, because few in the U.S. realize this is occuring. The issue may be not so important here in 2012 afterall. Legal immigration is fine, but as I said, even that is slowing.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I thought in Miami they were all Cubans and in New York they were all Puerto Ricans?

Around here, they're mostly Mexicans because their ancestors were born here when it was Mexico. They didn't move, the border did.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Around here (Rochester NY) the go to is Puerto Rican, since it has the largest hispanic population here.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
I grew up mostly in Connecticut, and in my experience people in the Northeast understand there are other kinds of Latinos. It's just that outside the Northeast (and of course Florida) most people just meet either Mexicans or possibly Central Americans (Guatemalans, Salvadorans, etc), who due to being Mestizo, aren't really distinguishable from Mexicans the way Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, or Cubans are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.