Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 PM

7 posts, read 10,310 times

Advertisements

I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide where to move. I just received an MA, and work as a translator from home, so I can live practically anywhere in the US.

I love the languages, density, walkability, seasons, and history of many cities in Europe. However, without a job/visa, I have no options abroad. I've lived in both San Francisco and NYC, both amazing cities for language lovers, but I'm no longer interested in moving back to either of them, mainly because of the high rent.

So my question is: What are other great US cities for language lovers? By this I mean a place where I can hear languages on the street every day, buy books/newspapers in them, see films, go to cultural events, and so on.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Miami for Latin & New Orleans for French, obviously.

Those are the closest you'll get to European cities in the US anyways.

Kind of an out of the box idea, but more than 90 languages are spoken throughout the Houston metro, however, you wouldn't hear it on the streets per se since the walkability scores very low. You'd have to hit up the numerous cultural events, film festivals, bookstores, ethnic parts of town & what not. Houston by far has the most foreign consulates in the South & is the most diverse metro. It could deffinitely be an option if you worked from home. Save the money you would've spent on rent in NYC & fly to Europe non stop out of IAH when ever your little heart desires.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-30-2012 at 08:47 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Based on your preferences, I think you should consider Chicago or Boston, both of which are strongly multilingual. Boston has the more European feel, although rents are just a step below NYC and SF prices.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Miami. You will hear all kinds of languages down here in South FL in general. From french, to creole, and of course Spanish. This is the place to be if you want to experience another country but still live within the U.S.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM

160 posts, read 311,163 times
Miami Beach. Mainland Miami is heavily skewed towards Spanish and to a lesser extent French & Haitian Creole but Miami Beach is much more linguistically diverse. There are residents from all over the world in addition to the millions of international tourists who visit Miami Beach every year so you can hear MANY different languages spoken in a relatively small area. Spanish is prevalent of course, but also Portuguese, Italian, Russian and many others. Also, I should point out Miami's Spanish-speaking community is diverse so you'll hear different varieties of Spanish, depending on the country and region. Miami Beach is also very walkable and there are many cultural events, art festivals, etc throughout the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Based on your preferences, I think you should consider Chicago or Boston, both of which are strongly multilingual. Boston has the more European feel, although rents are just a step below NYC and SF prices.
Quote from that link:

Quote:
The city of Miami, for instance, had only 362,470 residents when the 2000 census was done. Had the population exceeded our 400,000 cut-off mark, Miami would surely have placed somewhere near the top cities as 74.6% of its residents are multilingual.

Last edited by aggrocrag; 04-30-2012 at 10:42 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Most of Miami outside of the tourist trap areas is a dump.

Its also expensive by Southern standards.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:38 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Language-specific listings:

Chinese, more specifically Mandarin: L.A., S.F./S.F. Peninsula
Japanese: same as Chinese-listed cities
Spanish: pick a city in California, Texas, Arizona, or Florida.
"Amuricun": south of the Ohio River, even Louisville and Huntington
Crass, caustic American English: Philly, NYC, Boston
"Dontcha know" American English: Minneapolis, Anchorage, Juneau.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
For hearing languages from all over the world, NYC could work.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
"Dontcha know" American English: Minneapolis, Anchorage, Juneau.
I've met people from Alaska and most of them don't sound too different from Californians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
For hearing languages from all over the world, NYC could work.
He just said he lived in New York but doesn't want to go back because of the high COL.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
For Somali, Minneapolis would do the trick.

For the Hmong or Karen languages, St. Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.