Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:23 AM

155 posts, read 288,195 times

Advertisements

Hey folks!

I've been doing some research on where to move to next, and I thought I'd pop in here and ask just in case I missed anything. I currently live in Denver, but find it too expensive, with too many people (traffic) and too much construction.

Some things I desire in a new place.

-Affordable (this is relative, but let's say not too much over the U.S. average)
-Outdoorsy (plenty of places to hike, bike, kayak, etc). I'm more into summer sports than winter sports. That being said, even though I don't ski or board, I've still enjoyed the Rockies.
- Small city/big town desired. I would say anywhere between 25,000 - 200,00 people (the metropolitan area can be bigger)
- Relatively sunny weather. Denver will be tough to beat.
- 4 seasons or mediterranean temps. I'd consider both. What I don't like are really hot/humid temps or long winters.
- Fun downtown, or an emerging downtown with some energy. I don't drink much but I do like a vibrant downtown. And I love my coffee shops.
- Not too much traffic
- It would be nice if it had an entrepreneurial scene
- I like both beach and mountains, but prefer mountains. And rivers/forests.
- A community feel where people are friendly and say hello and get to know you.
- It would be nice if it were close to an airport and somewhat close to a larger city, but not necessary.

I realize it's hard or impossible to find a place that meets all of these criteria, but I'd love to hear your suggestions. I'm single, mid 40s, no kids and run my own online business, so jobs are not a concern. Not too concerned with politics either. I have family spread out over the country (California and Virginia). I will rent first and hopefully buy down the road.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 10:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Take a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western NC. You've pretty much described it. Asheville is the largest city, can be expensive to purchase property right in Asheville currently, rent maybe or purchase within one of the other towns/counties nearby. Also within a reasonable drive to Virginia via Rt. 81. Or, one of the beautiful towns off Rt. 81 in Virginia. Lynchburg, Roanoke, etc.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:33 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,412,138 times
Greenville SC is an idea. Near the Blue Ridge mountains. Nice downtown area with a 30 foot waterfall and great park around it

VisitGreenvilleSC.com

Old 06-12-2018, 11:13 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Seems like Boise should be a contender.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Take a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western NC. You've pretty much described it. Asheville is the largest city, can be expensive to purchase property right in Asheville currently, rent maybe or purchase within one of the other towns/counties nearby. Also within a reasonable drive to Virginia via Rt. 81. Or, one of the beautiful towns off Rt. 81 in Virginia. Lynchburg, Roanoke, etc.
Thank you! Have been to Eastern TN but not Western NC. Have heard that Asheville is getting a bit pricey and crowded, but want to take a look myself. Maybe a surrounding town would be better. Roanoke is on the list. I have family near there, have visited several times and going back in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Greenville SC is an idea. Near the Blue Ridge mountains. Nice downtown area with a 30 foot waterfall and great park around it

VisitGreenvilleSC.com

I have heard tons of good things about Greenville. My one concern are the long hot/humid summers, but it's definitely worth a look. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Seems like Boise should be a contender.
I visited Boise last year but there was something about it I didn't like. I actually like Ogden and Salt Lake City Utah much better, especially in terms of their beauty/scenery.

I don't hear Ogden getting much attention and I wonder why. Very affordable, 25 minutes to some incredible scenery/ski slopes and close to a bigger city.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:43 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Asheville is weirdly touted as "expensive" but similar locations such as Denver, Boulder, Salt Lake City and Boise for example are as expensive or more so. Seemingly there's an expectation of lower cost there for some reason which given the outdoor amenities, culture, food scene and gorgeous setting is at best a ridiculous assumption/desire.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
OP, I'm curious what you think of Colorado Springs.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:52 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolby View Post
What I don't like are really hot/humid temps
Don't move to the TN, SC, or NC mountains. It's too hot and humid. The summers can get miserable. The mountains are classified as a rainforest which means the humidity can be off the charts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.