Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 02:14 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times

Advertisements

Personally, I find them to be very annoying. For one, the residents are often too fanatical about state budget, spending, caucus, primary whatever. There is this climate of political fanaticism and it gets annoying rather quick.

They also seem to attract small-town political types who get some $12 government job shuffling papers around and think they are in charge, because they are only a few steps divided from their state's important politicians.

Lastly, most capital cities I've visited, are going the direction of police states and seem oversaturated with state police (being headquartered there), capital police, local police, sheriff, and all the government buildings just add to the annoyance.

As for the nation's capital, I've never visited DC, and don't care to.

There's really no such thing as an exciting state capital. I'm sure someone else has to agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 04:55 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Boston? Atlanta? Denver? All of these citys government jobs are only around 8%, which is not high at all. There are cities Like San Francisco full of political activists and it's not a state capital.
Capital cities also range in size from 8,000 (Montpeiler, VT) to 1.5 million (Pheonix, AZ) do you really think you can group them together?

Old 05-19-2012, 05:50 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Actually the majority of folks tend to find state capitals ( much like college towns) to be a draw. They typically offer a fairly high quality of life and a less volatile economy. I dare say few have your Tea Party mentality, as evidenced by recent performance (polls and elections) of Tea Party politicians.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:15 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Personally, I find them to be very annoying. For one, the residents are often too fanatical about state budget, spending, caucus, primary whatever. There is this climate of political fanaticism and it gets annoying rather quick.

They also seem to attract small-town political types who get some $12 government job shuffling papers around and think they are in charge, because they are only a few steps divided from their state's important politicians.

Lastly, most capital cities I've visited, are going the direction of police states and seem oversaturated with state police (being headquartered there), capital police, local police, sheriff, and all the government buildings just add to the annoyance.

As for the nation's capital, I've never visited DC, and don't care to.

There's really no such thing as an exciting state capital. I'm sure someone else has to agree.
How many capitals have you been to?
This is a fairly ignorant thread.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
I'm not impressed by some of them, including Michigan's. Many people are unimpressed by some of them as well. But I don't necessarily "dislike" them.

You'll be surprised to know how many folks think the Capital of Illinois is Chicago.

Moving the state capitals to what was considered "the middle of nowhere" at the time was a Agrarian goal from the Jeffersonian era to give more representation to the rural areas in each state, because farmers and small town folks felt they were disenfranchised with the state capitals being in each state's by-far largest cities (and in many states, such as Michigan and Illinois, the largest cities weren't particularly "central" enough).

Old 05-19-2012, 12:12 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How many capitals have you been to?
This is a fairly ignorant thread.
It's a RonnieJonez classic, what did you expect?

Old 05-19-2012, 12:13 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
This may top Ronnie's In-n-Out Burger thread in its stupidity.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
It's a RonnieJonez classic, what did you expect?
I'm not accustom to his famous threads. Now I am, thank you.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
There is nothing appealing about capital cities. More government, just what everyone needs.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:56 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,487 times
You should try coming to my state's capital.

Trenton,Nj.

I don't think you will be worrying about a climate of political fanaticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.