Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:25 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times

Advertisements

E/NE Pittsburgh suburbs it is more common to ask where someone grew up. The school attended is then obvious. We have about 500 school districts in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 01:05 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
I grew up in Rochester NY and EVERYBODY asked this question. It is how people form cliques up there and it was very annoying

Down here in Texas, nobody asks this question..... it might have to do with the fact that there are people from all over the country and world here in Houston (unlike Rochester)

Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
I grew up in Rochester NY and EVERYBODY asked this question. It is how people form cliques up there and it was very annoying
It sounds like you haven't lived in Rochester past highschool or college. Nobody asks this unless you are deep in a conversation.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:31 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
It sounds like you haven't lived in Rochester past highschool or college. Nobody asks this unless you are deep in a conversation.
I did live in Rochester past high school..... next

They do ask this question alot

Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
I did live in Rochester past high school..... next

They do ask this question alot
no they don't. They ask what you do for a living... where you went to college... you interests... etc. Nobody past the age of 21 asks where you went to high school as a conversation starter.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
This is fairly common at UGA. It's basically become a University subsidized by poor lottery ticket purchasers for middle to upper class kids from metro Atlanta. So here, it's fairly common as most kids are from Metro Atlanta and it's a subtle way of gauging someone lifestyle.

If you say you're from Riverdale HS, Morrow HS or South Dekalb for instance, it means you're black. You grew up in a black area and god love you for getting the hell out of those ghetto hellholes. Not saying I agree with this, but it's the perception.

If you say you're from Chattahoochee HS, North Springs HS, Northview HS or Walton HS, it means you grew up in the Northern suburbs. So you probably aren't paying for college yourself, drive an exorbitantly expensive car and have pledged a sorority or a fraternity

If you say you went to Lovett, Marist or Westminster, it means you probably grew up in Buckhead or Sandy Springs in a mansion and have no concept of reality. You'll probably major in communications or history and then fall back on your parents' money.

If you say you went to Norcross HS, Parkview HS or Duluth HS, it means you grew up in a basic middle class suburb that rapidly diversified and interacted with people who spoke about 100 different languages. So therefore you're multicultural and will probably join an Asian fraternity even though you're not Asian.

If you say you went to Druid Hills HS, Chamblee HS or Lakeside HS, it means you're probably a hippie raised by parents who work for NPR, the ACLU or maybe teach at Emory. And your parents might be a same sex couple.

If you say you went to East Paulding HS, North Forsyth HS, Newnan HS or Grayson HS, it means you're a redneck who grew up on the edges of civilization. Inner city and inner suburban kids probably won't have any idea where you grew up even though it might be 30 minutes away from them. You'll probably be an Ag major.

Again, these are just stereotypes. And this will mean nothing to people who are from elsewhere, but I think the metro Atlanta people get what I'm saying.
I would really feel for the kids in Georgia who identified themselves as being from a HS outside of the Atlanta Metro!!!

Old 06-03-2012, 03:19 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times
So what does that make Kansas City, which is smaller than both St. Louis and Cincinnati? It's not like anyone hears much about KC. Sorry, but if St. Louis and Cincinnati are irrelevant, than Kansas City is even more irrelevant.

Last edited by STLgasm; 06-03-2012 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 06-03-2012, 04:31 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I've only heard the question when two transplants are conversing and discover they're from the same city or town.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
In DC no one does because there's so many transplants. People always ask where you're from since most people I encounter aren't from the DC area

Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Its a common question in San Francisco once you discover the person you're speaking to is a native (which is an increasingly rare thing). "Where'dya go to school?" always means where did you go to high school and it answers volumes about your social standing and even ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.