Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:52 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Common in Cincinnati, St louis, might be big in Cleveland, Indy, Milwaukee, etc. Maybe it's only big in cities that do not have a lot of transplants and are not really that relevant anymore.
I'm in Indianapolis, and I've never been asked where I went to high school, at least not that I remember. It never comes up as a topic of conversation.

I used to live in Evansville, IN; the high school you went to was always one of the first things people asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Wow I thought that was only done in my town, Pueblo, where everyone asks what high school you went to.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
At least in my circles living on the north side and working in downtown, I have never heard this question. Hardly anyone I know is even from Chicago or the same states anyway.

I hear "where did you grow up" or "where did you go to college", but really after you turn 20 or graduate from college then high school is pretty much forgotten.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:35 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
In DC no one does because there's so many transplants. People always ask where you're from since most people I encounter aren't from the DC area
I wouldn't say no one. People in the DC area will occasionally ask each other where they went to high school if they're both natives. Doesn't happen often though. People usually ask where you grew up or what college you went to. On the very rare and I do mean rare occasion I've bumped into someone from my hometown I immediately ask what high school they went to.

As someone mentioned it says a lot about your background, upbringing and often race. Although I'm the last generation of busing so one can't get to carried away with assumptions.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
So what does that make Kansas City, which is smaller than both St. Louis and Cincinnati? It's not like anyone hears much about KC. Sorry, but if St. Louis and Cincinnati are irrelevant, than Kansas City is even more irrelevant.
Our city has had a lot of momentum and change over the years, we have a new performing arts center, we were recently named by a bunch of travel magazines as one of the places to go and visit in 2012, frommers listed us as the only US city, we have a revitalized downtown, great and growing food scene. We are also hosting the all star game this year.
Our economy was recently ranked the 8th best in the US, we have a fairly robust and diverse economy and we were not really hit by the recession. METRO RANK

I think KC is unique because it is half sun belt and half rust belt.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,045 times
Of course! Especially in the boroughs here, people are pretty much familiar with the high schools here, even if they don't know too much about it, they know the name because they know someone who went there. There are hundreds of high schools here and everyone is everywhere.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM

846 posts, read 1,798,019 times
Laughing at that UGA comment, but they do that all the time here. The natives of Charleston are very insular. Your social status can depend on what school you go to if you're that age. For example, if you go to Bishop England (the private Catholic HS) you are more likely to be rich.

Here though, the question they ask more is what neighborhood you live in. That definitely can influence who you hang out with.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:40 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I think KC is unique because it is half sun belt and half rust belt.
I'll add that this is a very common question in Kansas City also. When I moved East for college, the question changed (people in the East ask where you went to school, meaning college; certain demographics might then ask where you "prepped.")

Every time I'm back in KC, I'm asked the high school question. It's a way of gauging background via the neighborhood where you grew up/ attended high school.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:43 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
I'll add that I have friends from small towns in the Midwest. Towns that have only one high school or even where the region has only one high school. These people, when relocated to a city, are confounded by the high school question -- it doesn't have resonance or meaning because everybody in their youth went to the same high school.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:44 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Nope, everyone just wants to know if I go to a SUNY college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.