Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times

Advertisements

I'll "fourth" Minneapolis, remove just about any coastal city if you can't stand the high cost of home living (with very few exceptions, like New Orleans), and also consider adding Madison, WI, Ann Arbor, MI or Des Moines, IA (I probably lost you by now, huh?).

Are some NE cities like Springfield, MA "smart" AND less expensive? Or do they still pay the "coastal premium"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:55 AM

121 posts, read 295,206 times
Upstate NY cities like Syracuse, Albany, Rochester are also good candidates.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:44 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,518 times
Remove Vancouver from your list as it is a big city, and Uber expensive. There mass transit and diversity(for the most part) is good however. Denver would be a nearly perfect, but since your from colorado I'll leave that alone. I'm going to suggest Minneapolis as well, Salt Lake would also fit the bill, but it is not all that diverse. What about Atlanta?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Remove Vancouver from your list as it is a big city, and Uber expensive. There mass transit and diversity(for the most part) is good however.

There is a Vancouver in Washington state. Diversity is definitely lacking in those parts and the mass transit is lame. Hardly a "big" city nor is it über expensive, its a suburb of Portland, OR.

Yes, OP... You will need to get rid of your preconceived notions and study for the facts. If you go to each of the city's forum, oftentimes they'll have a picture thread and its pretty neat to check out.

Minneapolis seriously does fit exactly what you want, but be sure to include as part of your exploration trip to see if it vibes with you.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:16 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,327 times
I agree, Minneapolis does fit almost exactly what you want. Crime can be somewhat high, but concentrated in one specific area. It also is a big city, it wont necessrily fit the "without being a big city" part. It feels like a big city, the downtown is large, and metro-wise Minneapolis is about the same as Seattle. The city proper isn't huge population or area wise, because there are so many suburbs. The schools are great, there is a ton of parks, trails, lakes and culture. The only problem might be the cold. I don't know if you adressed that in the original post.

Theres always St. Paul too, which fits your list pretty well also.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:51 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
I think Boston would be perfect for you.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:48 PM

47 posts, read 230,032 times
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the responses it has helped me tremendously. I really just want opinions from people who have lived in these places because I have not. Minneapolis seems like a place worthwhile to check out. If I can survive the bowels of Santa Monica I think I could really give Minneapolis serious thought. I would have never thought Minneapolis was a city worth even living in. I don't mind cities just not the kind like Los Angeles County; I suppose it's really not the size, although I am completely exhausted of the traffic and BS that comes along with it, but it's the kind of people that live in Los Angeles County that I want to get away from and I just need a slower pace.

No cold is not an issue at all. I have lived in all types of weather and do not mind the cold. Someone also mentioned that I'm looking for a "unicorn" of a city. I suppose my ideal city doesn't exist, yet, but I am hoping to find something close to it.

By the way what is that one "specific" area that crime is high in in Minneapolis?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 PM

93,316 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram79 View Post
Upstate NY cities like Syracuse, Albany, Rochester are also good candidates.
Parts of the city of Buffalo could work due to having some high or above average performing public high schools, as well as good private schools. There are plenty of colleges/universities and good suburban districts as well. Perhaps a good fit in that area could be Kenmore, which is a very dense, walkable village with solid schools and is a straight shot down a choice of a few streets to cultural amenities in the city of Buffalo. Amherst may also work and has school districts with a decent amount of diversity that perform well academically. You can find similar examples in the other areas mentioned as well above.

Maybe places/areas like Worcester MA, Champaign/Urbana IL, Iowa City IA and Morgantown WV may work too.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadesandRoses View Post
By the way what is that one "specific" area that crime is high in in Minneapolis?
The near north side and Phillips on the south side are the crime hot spots in Minneapolis.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM

419 posts, read 998,668 times
Albuquerque,NM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.