Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 07:20 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,068,190 times

Advertisements

It's always possible, but I'm not sure I see it happening in any of our lifetimes. There was a time when Rome was the Juggernaut city on the planet too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 08:31 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe Houston in 100 years if it substains the current growth rate.

Also,i really believe LA's population would be larger if illegal immigrants were counted.
The % has to be higher than any of the ten largest cities in the USA.
The population of every city would be larger if illegal immigrants were counted. NYC is no slouch in the illegal immigrant category itself. For some reason, I thought the Census Bureau estimated illegals in their counts. Maybe I am wrong.

City population: NYC will not be passed in our lifetime barring some catastrophic event
Metro or UA: entirely possible that LA could pass it

Old 04-13-2016, 08:37 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
NY money... NY benefits. ... NY education. The tri-state has it all ........ People come here to make it.....

Old 04-13-2016, 08:55 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
NY money... NY benefits. ... NY education. The tri-state has it all ........ People come here to make it.....
Remember that time the city of New York was bailed out? Or that time that Wall Street was bailed out?

Not to mention all the people in NYC who live on the dole. New York City is an artificial joke. It's completely propped up. And it's a nasty place. The legitimate cultural gems that it has are of course fantastic. But if it weren't inflated, it'd be a much smaller, cleaner, more enjoyable city.

But at this moment, it's terrible and it's a disaster waiting to happen eventually. Probably won't be surpassed in population any time soon.

In the mean time, enjoy living off everyone else NYC!

Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,887,037 times
I don't believe so in my lifetime. Maybe in 30+ years. Anything is possible.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:29 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
No, not in my lifetime.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Remember that time the city of New York was bailed out? Or that time that Wall Street was bailed out?

Not to mention all the people in NYC who live on the dole. New York City is an artificial joke. It's completely propped up. And it's a nasty place. The legitimate cultural gems that it has are of course fantastic. But if it weren't inflated, it'd be a much smaller, cleaner, more enjoyable city.

But at this moment, it's terrible and it's a disaster waiting to happen eventually. Probably won't be surpassed in population any time soon.

In the mean time, enjoy living off everyone else NYC!
All completely false statements. Everything you've said here can be applied to Boston, as well. There's really not many things that Boston does better than NYC in, while NYC absolutely demolishes Boston in many metrics. I could be petty and point out Boston's many political, social and financial failings through the years, but I won't do that. Suffice to say, there are good reasons why NYC is the unquestioned alpha of not only the East Coast, but this entire country, and being "inflated" isn't one of them.

As far as the actual question, no. Not in this century, unless there's some startling catastrophe or mind-blowing technological development somewhere else, like an arcology. Metro-wise, I don't see it either, unless LA's CSA becomes even more inflated than it already is. Even then, probably not until late in this century.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:44 AM

644 posts, read 1,019,393 times
As long as NYC continues to grow, and I think it will, then no other city will ever catch it.

New York City grew by 375,272 people from 2010 to 2015

Los Angeles grew by 136,243 people from 2010 to 2014

If numbers like that continue to happen, then mathematically it is impossible.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:19 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Anything is possible, of course, but NYC has the highest numerical year-over-year growth of any U.S. city. So the likely answer is no.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:22 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
So nobody in NYC is on welfare? I'm so sorry for the confusion.
NYC is a massive net contributor to the state and federal govt.

On a comparative basis, NYC is the last place in the U.S. associated with "being on welfare". It's basically a giant gusher of taxpayer dollars for everyone else.

Last edited by mjlo; 04-13-2016 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Edited for being too personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.