Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:40 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times

Advertisements

There's a reversal of sorts going on in cities across america. A gentrification of sorts. The once 'bad neighborhoods' are undergoing a change,a refurbishing by the yuppies,local government,etc. Places like Harlem,NY and Philadelphia,etc.
So now the would-be suburbanites are now sticking with the city and the once inner-city minorities are now heading out to the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 03:53 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
There's a reversal of sorts going on in cities across america. A gentrification of sorts. The once 'bad neighborhoods' are undergoing a change,a refurbishing by the yuppies,local government,etc. Places like Harlem,NY and Philadelphia,etc.
So now the would-be suburbanites are now sticking with the city and the once inner-city minorities are now heading out to the suburbs.
That is very true here in Atlanta. However, a lot of the white, middle-class households that are relocating to intown neighborhoods don't have kids. Will we ever see a trend of white, middle-class families moving to intown neighborhoods?

Old 10-02-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Will we ever see a trend of white, middle-class families moving to intown neighborhoods?
They got plenty of that in Philadelphia and it's just a big mess! Lots of young kids running around with nowhere to go and nothing better to do than to loiter,vandalize etc.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseIsland View Post
I'm not sure in any big city your going to find wealthy people. aand even like you said Detroit. I might be wrong but I am pretty sure William Pulte lives in Detroit. he his worth 1.5 billion right now.
Pulte lives in Bloomfield Hills.....

Where in the heck would you think that he would live in Detroit?? His own abandoned skyscraper??

Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
Hahaha. A combined worth greater than the combined worth of the other 900,000 Detroiters.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 PM

22 posts, read 21,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icy River Vagabond View Post
Pulte lives in Bloomfield Hills.....

Where in the heck would you think that he would live in Detroit?? His own abandoned skyscraper??

look up top tem richest michiganders, the site said his home is in Detroit. I bet he has houses all over the country including one in Detroit. he is a billionaire.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
They got plenty of that in Philadelphia and it's just a big mess! Lots of young kids running around with nowhere to go and nothing better to do than to loiter,vandalize etc.
I was not aware that there was a problem with loitering toddlers in Center City. The poster was talking about families with school aged children returning to the city. To answer his/her/their question, you will see it when a truely good school opens in a safe area. The reversal of neighborhoods begins with pioneers-->gays-->artists-->yuppies-->a few wealthy people
-->families. IMO, the trend grows exponentially. Alot of places seem to be in the gay/artist stage, and quite a few have achieved the status of yuppified.
Once a good school opens in a yuppified area, you will generally begin to bring back families.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I was not aware that there was a problem with loitering toddlers in Center City. The poster was talking about families with school aged children returning to the city.
I did not say that there were toddlers in center city(?!) I was saying that there are already families in the surrounding neighborhoods mostly with children aged 9-teens(what happens before and after don't ask me),that are crammed into these tight city blocks. I keep saying that once people can afford to have a family and do not need to work in the city,to just progress into the suburbs or outlying areas where there is more room to raise a normal family and not end up with kids with unhealthy socialization and thus end up with criminals,drug dealers etc.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseIsland View Post
look up top tem richest michiganders, the site said his home is in Detroit. I bet he has houses all over the country including one in Detroit. he is a billionaire.
All I could find was information saying that he lives in Bloomfield hills. I just can't possibly imagine him living in Detroit. If by chance he did (which he does'nt) he would be one of the less than 5% white that lives in the city.

William Pulte, The World's Richest People - Forbes.com

Old 10-03-2007, 11:33 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,943 times
Burlington Vermont fits the bill...

David Beckett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.