Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 04:41 AM

116 posts, read 232,742 times

Advertisements

A city that has all four seasons and would prefer snow in the winter since i've never experienced that before. Somewhere with nice scenery and beautiful landscape. I want something with an urban feel but not really a rat race type of feel either, but not anything too small. I am a pretty laid back type of person that doesn't get bored easily so it doesn't have to have to be a top notch entertainment city, just enough for an occasional outing. Oh and COL racial integration is important too. I'm born and raised in Houston and love the vibe here. Also being black here doesn't bother me too much, I love the diversity and how all of the races seem to get along pretty well and even mingle sometimes. I guess I would like a city that can sort of compete with this, but this is the least of my concerns. So any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:39 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
What types of things do you like to do for fun? What do you want to get out of your city? You said you don't get bored often, which is great, but go a bit deeper and tell us your hobbies.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,448 times
I would say Pittsburgh. Hills and wide open spaces mixed with pro sports teams and bars. The COL is great since it's a Rust Belt Revival and it seems it will only get better.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:16 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
Twin Cities. You'll get your snow.

Plus Minneapolis/ST Paul are known for being very tolerant cities with large amounts of cultural features. But nothing will substitute for a visit to see for yourself. Good Luck!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:29 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times
St Louis has a very urban feel and has a good mix if black and white. It's somewhat pretty in the city and you are very close to the ozarks which will give you your pretty scenery.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
A city that has all four seasons and would prefer snow in the winter since i've never experienced that before. Somewhere with nice scenery and beautiful landscape. I want something with an urban feel but not really a rat race type of feel either, but not anything too small. I am a pretty laid back type of person that doesn't get bored easily so it doesn't have to have to be a top notch entertainment city, just enough for an occasional outing. Oh and COL racial integration is important too. I'm born and raised in Houston and love the vibe here. Also being black here doesn't bother me too much, I love the diversity and how all of the races seem to get along pretty well and even mingle sometimes. I guess I would like a city that can sort of compete with this, but this is the least of my concerns. So any suggestions?
I think Denver could be a great match for you. It's a big city but largely doesn't have the rat-race mentality and the scenery/landscape is pretty much unparalleled. Denver has a very high proportion of interracial couples which I think speaks highly of the overall tolerance for diversity there. Winter is beautiful as Denver does get considerable snow, but not the massive accumulations seen in other northern cities as the constant sunshine (300+ days per year) melts it pretty quickly.

Last edited by kyle19125; 07-03-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 08:32 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Columbus Ohio may be another city/area to look into as well. It's a growing city, with a mix of people in leadership positions and has the biggest college campus in the country in the Ohio State University.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:04 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post

Indianapolis i would highly recommend.
#1 it has all 4 seasons with a modest amount of snowfall but not to much like in Chicago or Buffalo etc.
#2 it has the lowest cost of living of any major US city and the nations most affordable housing market. Its like Houston but smaller.
#3 its a more laid back but very urban city with tons of things to do and amendities to offer.
#4 Indy is within a days drive to 80% of the US population and a 3 hour drive from Chicago and 2 hours from Cincy.
#5 Indianapolis is famous for its sports and major sporting events held. The Indianapolis 500 is the Largest Single sporting event in the world. Plus our city hosted Super Bowl 46 and did such a great job with that game that Indy will be bidding for another Super Bowl soon. Not Bad for a northern climate city. Also the NCAA is headquartered here and has a contract with the city to host the Men and Womens Final Four every 5 years.
#6 Indianapolis is a very clean and green city. The Northern Suburbs are litterly built into a forest. Historic neighborhoods like Meridian Kesslar and Broad Ripple and Butler University are very walkable and vibrant.
#7 Indianapolis is the fastest growing city in the midwest and in the top 20 nationally. It has character that is close to the Sunbelt well also retaining some midwestern roots.
#8 Indianapolis also has a strong economy with an unemployment rate at 7% which is better than the national average and midwest outside of the Twin Cities and the Dakotas.
#9 Indianapolis or any part of Indiana for that matter have low taxes. Property taxes are capped at 1% of your homes value which is one of the lowest rates in the nation. 2nd Income taxes are only 3.4% and sales tax is 7%.
#10 Indianapolis also has a bunch of construction projects going on around the metro area along with Indiana's Major Moves initative by Governor Mitch Daniels. We leased the Indiana Toll Road and got almost 3 Billion Dollars which is being used to build and extend I-69 to Evansville and upgrade all the interstates in the Indianapolis area and abroad.
Finally Indiana is giving back tax refunds to our citizens due to our state having a 2,000,000,000 surplus in the state budget. Each Taxpayer will get a refund of atleast 100$ and married couples 200$+
How many other states are doing that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.