Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 3,529 times

Advertisements

I will b moving south within a couple years & im trying 2 decide where I wanna go. I would like a small town that is not far from a big town. I am getting my behaviour science degree so I will need 2 b able 2 get a job in that area... I have children so I want a safe place, I dont want 2b 2 close 2 the ocean because I dont want 2 deal with huricanes. I dont want to live anywhere that is very reciest because I hav mixed children. I curently live in illinois so I know anything will b better than this I was just hoping sun1 could throw out some towns so I can do some research. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:21 AM

93,483 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Perhaps Austin, San Antonio and the Dallas/Fort Worth area in Texas. Perhaps Oklahoma City, Nashville and Atlanta too.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 3,529 times
idk. I think those r a lillt large... we r moving from an area where the towns r 10,000 or less

Old 07-15-2012, 10:10 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,459,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2xkjj View Post
idk. I think those r a lillt large... we r moving from an area where the towns r 10,000 or less
Charlotte NC area?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:30 AM

365 posts, read 499,981 times
Mint Hill NC

Old 07-15-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I don't know, as small or smaller Southern towns usually have a different vibe than the urban areas. With that said, you may find some that fit what you want.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
Chapel Hill or Carrboro, NC would be a good option. They're safe, liberal small towns with excellent public schools and close proximity to jobs in town or neighboring Raleigh/Durham.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 AM

Asheville NC, Blacksburg VA and Charlottesville VA may work too.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 PM

115 posts, read 319,550 times
Consider doing research on any of these cities. Good luck with the search hun!

Rogers/Springdale AR
Chattanooga, TN
Greenville, SC
Huntsville, AL
Augusta, GA
Warner Robins, GA
Tallahassee, FL
Columbia, MO
Texarkana, TX/AR
Longview, TX
Midland, TX

Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Quote:
I will b moving south within a couple years & im trying 2 decide where I wanna go. I would like a small town that is not far from a big town. I am getting my behaviour science degree so I will need 2 b able 2 get a job in that area... I have children so I want a safe place, I dont want 2b 2 close 2 the ocean because I dont want 2 deal with huricanes. I dont want to live anywhere that is very reciest because I hav mixed children. I curently live in illinois so I know anything will b better than this I was just hoping sun1 could throw out some towns so I can do some research. Thanks!
I raised my four biracial kids in East Texas and we did fine. We lived between Dallas and Shreveport in the Tyler/Longview area. In fact, I still live in the area though my kids are now grown and have moved.

I love it here. It's a great place to raise a family. From a racial standpoint, I much prefer Tyler and Longview to some of the smaller towns in the area though. Some of the smaller towns only have about a 10 to 12 percent minority population, which I just personally felt wasn't ideal for my racially mixed family.

Tyler has very good schools, and it's a beautiful small city of about 100,000. I mean, it is a BEAUTIFUL town. Decent cost of living. Mostly white collar jobs. Two hours from Dallas and two hours from Shreveport, LA.

Longview is a bit smaller at about 70,000. It's more spread out, more laid back than Tyler and only 30 minutes from Tyler, two hours from Dallas and one hour from Shreveport, Louisiana. Longview is more blue collar because it relies a lot on oilfield and related jobs. It also has good schools.

I think the shopping is VERY good between the two, considering they aren't large cities. There are good farmers markets, whole food stores, and a great mix of chains and independently owned stores and restaurants.

I am not a native East Texan but I moved here twenty years ago and after the initial culture shock, I have come to love it. It's southern in attitude but with a little bit of independent cussedness thrown in for good measure. People really do wear cowboy hats and cowboy boots around here (that took some getting used to), but there's also a level of sophistication that still surprises me sometimes.

Housing is VERY affordable. Roads are good.

We have four seasons - nearly summer, summer, still summer, and Christmas. If you want a green lawn in the summer, prepare yourself emotionally for a high water bill in June, July and August.

But it's worth it. The people are warm, the food is excellent (BBQ and Tex Mex are particularly good!) and there is a LOT to do within a short drive, especially with kids. Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Jefferson, Shreveport and Natchidoches LA are all great places to take kids. There are lots of lakes in East Texas as well, and those are popular destinations.

Good luck!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-17-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.