Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most reserved/unfriendly part of the US?
The Northeast 81 50.00%
The South 30 18.52%
The Midwest 12 7.41%
The Northwest 33 20.37%
The Southwest 6 3.70%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times

Advertisements

Without a doubt the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
Definitely the northeast for reserved, but people from New York, Philly and Baltimore are not reserved.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 PM

152 posts, read 392,421 times
Colorado and the Pacific Northwest. Passive aggressive, standoffish, and rude. Not everyone, but a significant chunk of the population. People are not straightforward at all. They would rather just act out to show you their emotions rather than being straightforward.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,859 times
I can't say I can vote a particular region as I think there are nice and mean people everywhere. I noticed many voted Northeast, which is dumb to me because you have to consider that diversity of the region. People in places like small town Pennsylvania are more likely to be friendly than those in New York or Boston. In all honesty, I like the cynical Northeast attitude, I seem to fit in well there.

The Northwest seems to have that reputation of being unfriendly, but to me it's more that we are very individualistic and independent types. We care more about what pleases us as an individual than what pleases a group, and I like that as well. California (at least the southern part of the state) is not like that, people here are very group oriented and clique-y, whereas I hang out with people from all sorts of cliques, it doesn't matter to me.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Two answers because of the two part question.

I found New Englanders to be 'not friendly', but not as in 'mean', just as in stoic--not really caring where you came from or volunteer petty conversation. They were not 'mean', but they weren't going to drop a cake off at your house when you move in.

I would say after my stay in South Florida, the SE, would be certifiably "mean". Other people were just something that got in your way on the way, and you let them know utilizing any number of tactics-- A sneer, negative comment, horn or speed up when they are trying to cross the street.
A Bad, bad place

So, NE for reserved,
SE for mean.
Boy, you aint just whistlin' Dixie about south FL. I lived there for over four years and was overwhelmed by the in-your-face rudeness I encountered there.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,965 times
Come here to Southern California and you'll find out.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:34 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Come here to Southern California and you'll find out.
Then spend a year in Seattle and retract your statement as you come tearing back down south!

The PNW as a whole is hardly unfriendly; people in "the rest of Washington" as well as Oregon tend to be pretty agreeable people. They are definitely more reserved and have a more socially-libertarian, independent streak to them than people in other areas or regions, but they're generally alright.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Im surprised over how many times Ive read about the 'Seattle Freeze' on C-D. Even my DH, a Seattle native, has never heard of this. BTW, I find him, his family and friends there to be anything but stand-offish.

As a 20 year long ATL resident now living in Seattle, I can tell you that people in Seattle are very friendly. And the Seattle freeze is greatly exaggerated. People from Hawaii, and Southern Cali pretty much made this up, since apparently Seattle is less laid back than those places. But if you came there from GA, trust me you'd love the people.

As far as worst regions, Mid Atlantic. Virginia, Baltimore, DC area. The people are there are so RUDE! It just make me grind my teeth. I don't want to EVER, EVER, EVER go to this region.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:01 PM

101 posts, read 353,620 times
I vote Miami and Boston.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post

As far as worst regions, Mid Atlantic. Virginia, Baltimore, DC area. The people are there are so RUDE! It just make me grind my teeth. I don't want to EVER, EVER, EVER go to this region.
You ain't lying. I live there and I agree.

Urban Dictionary: northern virginia attitude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.