Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:11 AM

811 posts, read 1,054,732 times

Advertisements

This is something that I've wondered. When I think about fair season, I think about Autumn/Fall. There's a crispness, coolness in the air. The summer heat has relinquished and one can enjoy the exhibits and rides to the maximum.

Yet, I've noticed that many northern states have their state and county fairs in August, which makes little sense, since it is still summer.

Why is this the case for many northern states? In the South, state and county fairs occur from late September through November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 07:33 AM

93,356 posts, read 124,009,048 times
In NY, the State Fair is in Syracuse and runs in mid-late August before school, which starts the first Wednesday after the Labor Day weekend. I believe they do this so kids can enjoy it before the start of school. Keep in mind that summers here aren't usually as hot as they are in the South.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Maine has one, and New Enlgand has a super-fair, in West Springfield, MA, where people from all 6 states attend, and it represents all the states of New England, I believe its the only one of its kind.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Northern summers aren't as brutal as southern summers.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Our county fair is mid August

I dunno, summer seems logical time to hold events. Fits with the season to me.

October is more often jacket weather than not, I'd find that a little less appealing for outdoor events. Outdoor concerts are usually mostly held in summer.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
My guess is it's because there is always the (higher) chance (than in the South) that it will Snow in Winter or that there will be too much frost or freezing rain- this would pay havoc with the carnival rides and events in general!

Plus, as others have said, the Northern winters usually aren't as painful as those in the South.

Hopefully that helps!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
My guess is it's because there is always the (higher) chance (than in the South) that it will Snow in Winter or that there will be too much frost or freezing rain- this would pay havoc with the carnival rides and events in general!

Plus, as others have said, the Northern winters usually aren't as painful as those in the South.

Hopefully that helps!
Very few fairs occur in the south during the winter. Most (probably 90%) occur during the fall, while maybe ten percent occur during the spring.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:22 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,953 times
North = colder, snowier, earlier. Question answered

Old 08-03-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
North = colder, snowier, earlier. Question answered
Would it hurt to wait til September? After all, a majority of September is still technically summer. Even early October would still be good. Most northerners are not anywhere near dealing with snow in October, despite that freakish event that occurred last October. Trees are in full color during early October throughout much of the northern states. Temperatures are in the 60s for highs. By the way, why would you want to go to a fair in the hot month of August? It kind of defeats the "fair atmosphere". I liken fair weather to football weather; crisp and cool.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Would it hurt to wait til September? After all, a majority of September is still technically summer. Even early October would still be good. Most northerners are not anywhere near dealing with snow in October, despite that freakish event that occurred last October. Trees are in full color during early October throughout much of the northern states. Temperatures are in the 60s for highs. By the way, why would you want to go to a fair in the hot month of August? It kind of defeats the "fair atmosphere". I liken fair weather to football weather; crisp and cool.
Well why can't "fair atmosphere" be summer? Southerners probably have a different perspective on summer than northerners. Southerners probably find summer a nuisance to be avoided while northeners find summer (except for the hottest days) something to enjoyed and more of a novelty since it doesn't last as long. Low 80s in the shade isn't that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.