Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 AM

31 posts, read 67,568 times

Advertisements

I am a soon to be 30year old white male, single, no kids. I will be moving to one of these 2 cities in the next few months. The job I will have in either city will be the same pay. I will be moving from a medium-large city in the Midwest and taking my car to either city. The drive time to Miami from where I live is roughly 14hours, and the drive time to Seattle is roughly 32 hours. The drive is not a huge concern to me, I have a new automobile with no maintenance issues... I have been to Miami in winter months and really loved the city. The only drawbacks I see with being a permanent resident in Miami is that it seems kind of like a resort town to me, and not so much somewhere a person can put down roots. I also feel that Miami could be a dangerous city with all its nightlife scene and with all the people down there on vacation with their carefree attitudes one could find himself in a bad situation pretty easily if not careful...I have never been to Seattle. The city got on my radar because I heard about a job out there I could get, and after alot of research seems like it may be a place I would like to live. It doesnt seem like a very dangerous city, though I'm sure like any has its spots, im not that nieve. The people seem very proper and well spoken, and I guess as nice as people in a city that size could be. The locals in Miami are total a**holes for the most part from my experience. I dont love the idea of the weather in Seattle, but I think the natural beauty of the city, and the good feeling of being somewhere completley new would help me get through the long cold stretches of february, which i am used to anyway. And I dont feel Seattle is to big, like an L.A, Chicago or New York, to me it seems just the right size for what im looking for in a city. I guess I'm just looking for advice from people that have been to both cities and that could help me choose a little better. I know it would be easier for me just to pack up and move down to Miami like its an extended vacation, but it wouldnt last, I would come back. If i'm in Seattle and I get the feeling, it would have to be one hell of a strong feeling to get me to make that 3day drive back home...Anyway any comments,or suggestions on the 2 cities is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,859 times
I would say Seattle, as it's a lot more professional and as you said it's easier to place down roots. And there's much more than beach and nightlife, sure Seattle's nightlife may not be as exciting but they have mountains nearby, Canada only 3 hours away, Portland 3 hours the other way, and a desert only 2 hours to the east. Florida does not have nearly as much geographic diversity. Plus I'd rather have an 80 degree summer with lots of green and sunny skies than constantly being 80 and humid all year. If you plan to settle down and raise a family, Seattle will probably fit the bill hands down, I would never want my kid growing up in a place like Miami.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
For me it's an easy choice based on just the weather. We currently have overcast and drizzle, at 59F after a couple of weeks in the 80s. For me a couple of weeks is plenty. I couldn't live where it was 80 almost all year. Add to that the mountains, forests, lakes and rivers, the well educated, tech oriented but laid back people. If you like the sun, you may have trouble adjusting to our climate, but I love it. My experience with Florida was hot and humid, I can tolerate it for a week or two vacation but wouldn't live there.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:43 PM

31 posts, read 67,568 times
I agree with you guys, I think Seattle is definitley the place for me. Just by reading the comments on here alone you can get a feeling that most people living in Miami are not very happy with living there. You dont get that same feeling when reading the Seattle threads. I think Seattle real estate is a little more over priced then what I am used to, but I will be renting right away, and if I decided to stay long term I think you can find a pretty good deal just outside of the city. Maybe if I was 21-24 Miami would be the better option for me, but right now Seattle is definitley the better choice. I am really excited to start working out the details and I really hope it works out.Its a long way to go just to turn around and go home so ive got to make sure I do it right. Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
I'm from Miami, have lived in Seattle 23 years, the vibe in the two cities is polar opposite. Any questions I can answer, I'm happy to.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVsEast View Post
I agree with you guys, I think Seattle is definitley the place for me. Just by reading the comments on here alone you can get a feeling that most people living in Miami are not very happy with living there. You dont get that same feeling when reading the Seattle threads. I think Seattle real estate is a little more over priced then what I am used to, but I will be renting right away, and if I decided to stay long term I think you can find a pretty good deal just outside of the city. Maybe if I was 21-24 Miami would be the better option for me, but right now Seattle is definitley the better choice. I am really excited to start working out the details and I really hope it works out.Its a long way to go just to turn around and go home so ive got to make sure I do it right. Thanks for the advice.
You sound much more excited about Seattle than Miami so that's probably an indication of where you should go.

Keep in mind, Miami is about twice the size of Seattle (metro to metro) so there is more to do. Seattle always felt isolated to me, and sort of 'frontier-ish.' That's a + for some, and a negative for others. Florida is basically all development north. You never feel isolated.

You'll probably be outdoors more in Miami, but in Miami it's all about the beach. Seattle is all about the mountains. Meaning fantastic skiing/snowboarding come season. There is also some fantastic hiking and camping options in Seattle.

Seattle is a bar city, Miami is a club town. However, Miami is so big you could always go to Ft. Lauderdale which is more sports bar kind of atmosphere.

The food is very Caribbean-Latin in Miami. They have decent selection of European ethnic food too, like Jewish, Russian, and Italian. Seattle is very fresh seafood and asian inspired. I put them about the same level as far as food goes, but their strengths are in different areas.

Miami is more international. That's a + or - depending on who you are.

I can't remember what line of profession you mentioned but as a rule of thumb: if it's related to scientific research or technology it's Seattle. If it's banking, finance, tourism, or entertainment (tied to Latin America) think Miami.

The girls are far more beautiful and in shape in Miami.

The culture is far flashier in Miami but also more social. Seattle is far more reserved, leave me alone kind of vibe. I don't care about that but you might.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:44 PM

well said PosterExtrordinaire. I would add that as a former Miami boy (born and raised), I do not miss the road rage, blatant materialism, poisonous snakes and inability to find a decent bookstore or find a decent beer.

As far as the girls, depends how you like them. Most I know in Seattle are in incredible shape (highest per capita exercisers in the country). If you mean glamour, we don't have it (although certainly pockets of that on the Eastside-think Bellevue). I for one don't consider heavy makeup and french manicures beautiful. Give me a great looking, natural in shape woman (like my wife) in a summer dress, I'l take that anyday. I like the ones who shave their legs

Old 08-23-2012, 02:08 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post

As far as the girls, depends how you like them. Most I know in Seattle are in incredible shape (highest per capita exercisers in the country). If you mean glamour, we don't have it (although certainly pockets of that on the Eastside-think Bellevue). I for one don't consider heavy makeup and french manicures beautiful. Give me a great looking, natural in shape woman (like my wife) in a summer dress, I'l take that anyday. I like the ones who shave their legs
I mean the bikini body. When you have to bear all on a frequent basis in a bikini, you're more self conscious about that not so in shape stomach. Also, Miami as an area attracts beautiful women from all over the USA who want to become models.

But it comes down to what you like. I do like the wholesome ness in a woman and Miami is a poor place if that's important to you.

PS

Seattle drivers are s....l.......o...................................W

Old 08-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Agree with the slow drivers in Seattle, not always a bad thing. they can actually be courteous at times. Guess I don't dig "self-conscious" women.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:25 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
I lived in Miami.
DH is a Seattle native.
EASY choice. Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.