Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:16 AM

39 posts, read 176,246 times

Advertisements

WORTH and selling prices are two totally different animals. I've seen houses that sell for nearly 1 Mil in one area of the country that would qualify as crack houses in another. Unfortunately there's no real way of comparing apples to apples unless you are comparing ammenities. I'd be interrested to see what a house that would sell for say 10 Mil in the LA area would go for in other parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 10:21 AM

358 posts, read 1,056,777 times
I would have to agree that the list has flaws in it. I just did a real estate search on a site for the Pittsburgh area and it listed a few dozen million dollar homes. But these kinds of lists always have errors that extend from their sources, so it isn't surprising.

But yes, it's all about location! And it isn't surprising that the most million dollar homes are in California and New York, with secondary draws between Seattle, Boston, Florida, and DC. These are the areas that have money, that have amazing views, and are close to either large cities themselves or close to them for all the amentities you'll need.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:17 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
heres a list of highest PERCENTAGE of million dollar homes

http://www.zillowblog.com/photos/uncategorized/percentage.jpg (broken link)

I really wish I could find a list like this with a minimum population though. Say, highest percentage of million dollar homes in a city of at least 20,000 or 50,000

Old 04-23-2008, 05:17 PM

64 posts, read 181,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof2g View Post
WORTH and selling prices are two totally different animals. I've seen houses that sell for nearly 1 Mil in one area of the country that would qualify as crack houses in another. Unfortunately there's no real way of comparing apples to apples unless you are comparing ammenities. I'd be interrested to see what a house that would sell for say 10 Mil in the LA area would go for in other parts of the country.
I have a friend from San Francisco who sold his house for $400,000 there and bought a house in Omaha that was twice as big in just as nice a neighborhood for less than half as much.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:34 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
I don't believe that Pittsburgh has none at all. Has anybody ever been to a place in Pittsburgh called point Breeze. It is neighborhoods of old mansions built by many 1800s industrialist. That study is obviously flawed. I couldn't believe if those homes don't go for a million. These mansions are huge, architecturally astonishing, and not just a lame big Mcmansion you found in Country Club or Cherry Creek in Denver. There are hundreds of them in the Point Breeze, Squirell Hill, and Shadyside sections of Pittsburgh. I am going to have to question this study. I am not saying that I don't believe it, but these mansions in this section of Pittsburgh are some of the most largest, historic, and beautiful mansions I ever seen. They are similair to some around the German town area of Philly. Maybe its just the housing prices here drop them lower then they should be.

In that case, give me one of those Pittsburgh Mansion in Point Breeze over a Denver Country Club Mcmansion anyday!
I agree with you. There is no way a city the size of Pittsburgh, Albuquerque or Cleveland doesn't have ANY homes worth more than million. Buffalo, on the other hand, I might believe. I've seen homes in Albuquerque worth well in excess of $1mil. Property there isn't exactly cheap anymore. Some of the mansions in NE ABQ as you go up the side of the mountain are amazing. Heck, I live in Huntsville, AL and there are many $1mil+ homes in the historic districts and on the hills overlooking the city. There is one about 1/2 mile from my house in the historic district, Twickenham, adjacent to my neighborhood that the asking price is $3.2mil. There is another on the ridge of Monte Sano, asking price $14.4mil.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 AM

127 posts, read 163,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You make an interesting point, because those statistics aren't necessarily reflective of how many "nice homes" are in each respective city, but rather how expensive the homes are in those markets. Thus, you'd probably find beautiful homes in Pittsburgh similar to cities like S.F. and L.A., but because the latter cities are in notoriously expensive real estate markets, you're paying about twice as much money for the same kind of home.

It's all about location, location, location.
I thought it...you said it!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:19 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
That's a skewed list as Chicago is the only region in the top 10 that isn't on an ocean's coast. And the ocean's coasts drive prices throught the roof.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:10 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof2g View Post
As far as STL goes, the most expensive house I've found online is
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate
10,000 square feet, 4 BR, 3 mil
2.865 mil 7 BR

Although there's another 7 BR in Tower Grove East for 300k.
Another 9 BR for $375k

$400k 3 BR in LA
11119 Haas Avenue, Los Angeles CA 90047 - Trulia
$423k 4 BR in St. Louis Hills
$450k 6 BR in St. Louis near Washington University
6 BR St. Louis $222k.

LA
$550k, 4 BR, 2.5 BA 1769 sq. ft.
4894 Hartwick Street, Los Angeles CA 90041 - Trulia
St. Louis $535k, 5 BR, Tower Grove
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate 3064 sq. ft.
$537k, 4 BR, Tower Grove
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate 3470 sq. ft.

La
3 BR, 2 BA 1.29 mil 2013 sq. ft.
1110 South La Jolla Avenue, Los Angeles CA 90035 - Trulia
St. Louis $1.273 mil
6 BR, 6.5 BA, 7499 sq. ft.
St. Louis City, 8 BR, 4 full, 2 half baths, 9667 sq. ft.
$1.389 mil just north of Forest Park
3 BR, 2 BA, $175k, Tower Grove East 2288 sq. feet.
3 BR, 2 BA, $275k 3720 sq. ft.

St. Louis is just one example, but obviously there are places to get more bang-for-your-buck than LA.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Just did a quick search for ABQ. There are 120 properties for sale right now listed at $1mil or above, with the most being $3mil.

$3,000,000
4 Bed, 5 Bath
5,916 Sq. Ft.
1.96 Acres 1104 La Luz Trl
Albuquerque, NM 87122

In Pittsburgh, the highest I see is a $2.2 mil condo. Granted these are asking prices but I doubt it would go for less than 1/2.

$2,195,000
5 Bed, 4.5 Bath
Downtown Pgh, PA 15222
Property Type: Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op
This 6,000 Sq Ft, 21st floor Penthouse Condominium has a private 2,000 Sq Ft Rooftop Terrace, a 3yr Tax Abatement, a 5 yr Home Warranty, ...

There is something wrong with that list. I noticed Cincinnati has 818 $1mil+ houses. Yet ABQ, Pittsburg, Cleveland and Buffalo have 0? No way. There are really rich people everywhere who like to build monuments to themselves. Even the deepest coal country of Appalachia, some of the poorest regions of the country, there are $1mil+ houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.