Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 13,725 times

Advertisements

Hello all - I am new to this board and have read so many blogs and comments on here. Some funny, some sad, but nice to see that everyone is honest and is able to share their opinions.

I have been looking for a house/condo in Suffolk county for the past 10 months and have come to the realization that it is just NOT going to happen here. Certainly nothing that is affordable or doesn't have taxes that are insane. I am a single woman and cannot buy a "handy man" special. I've looked on the south shore, north shore, etc.......... and I've had it! Besides, with the rising pension costs and every other day there is an article in Newsday about which taxes are going up (i.e., towns, police, pensions, schools, etc....), I just dont want to live here anymore. Its very sad but our politicians are just running out the middle class. We cannot survive here anymore and not only do they not care, they do absolutely NOTHING to help us! There was a 2 page article on the suffering middle class this past Sunday. After I read it, I just cried.

In any event, does anyone know or have any suggestions of where a safe, affordable place in the US is? I was considering MD, VA or GA or either of Carolinas, but just not sure where to go.

Any help is very much appreciated!! Thanks and good luck to all Long Islanders out there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 AM

245 posts, read 495,583 times
I know the feeling of wanting to get off the island and have a better life else where. I would suggest you check out the other areas you are interested in on this forum. I am always asking question of people in South Carolina for ideas of the best place to live. The number one recommendation is have a job there first. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Default relocation suggestions

You need to find out where you are employable first. I am assuming since you can't afford to live on Long Island that you aren't independently wealthy.

Once you figure that out, why not post this query on forums for those states, since everyone here lives on Long Island and wouldn't be able to help you with out-of-state locales?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Well you haven't said how old you are.. or what you do for a living....but if you are still working, you'll want to find an area with low unemployment and of course, lower taxes and general lower cost of living.

Chesterfield Co, VA...or one of the surrounding counties.. Henrico, Goochland. Stay out of Richmond proper.. taxes are too high.

That's my recommendation.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 AM

7 posts, read 13,725 times
I am in my mid 40's, office manager/assistant type of work. I will look into those areas of VA. Much appreciated!! Thank you.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
I would also recommend checking out the Indianapolis area.
We have the nations most affordable housing market/lowest cost of living and Indy offers many great amendities for a city of 2M people.
Also Indy is the fastest growing city in the midwest. Construction is everywhere and homes are being built. Housing market in Indy is strong too.
Indianapolis also has a proud tradition of hosting large sporting events. Examples include Super Bowl 46. the worlds largest sporting event the Indy 500. The Brickyard 400 etc.
Indy's downtown is also very active and vibrant and filled with hundreds of locally owned shops and resturants/businesses. Plus Indy has the 2nd strongest economy in the midwest. 2nd only to the twin cities.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,679,712 times
Are you looking for a small/mid city or town?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Maybe Upstate NY may work if you want to stay in NY, but it will depend on what you are looking for in a community and job availability. This may give you an idea in terms of the latter. Central New York Jobs

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-openings.html

This could help in terms of housing prices: Upstate New York Real Estate

Here are some potential listings in the Rochester area for instance: Office Manager Jobs, Employment in Rochester, NY | Indeed.com

Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrbny View Post
Hello all - I am new to this board and have read so many blogs and comments on here. Some funny, some sad, but nice to see that everyone is honest and is able to share their opinions.

I have been looking for a house/condo in Suffolk county for the past 10 months and have come to the realization that it is just NOT going to happen here. Certainly nothing that is affordable or doesn't have taxes that are insane. I am a single woman and cannot buy a "handy man" special. I've looked on the south shore, north shore, etc.......... and I've had it! Besides, with the rising pension costs and every other day there is an article in Newsday about which taxes are going up (i.e., towns, police, pensions, schools, etc....), I just dont want to live here anymore. Its very sad but our politicians are just running out the middle class. We cannot survive here anymore and not only do they not care, they do absolutely NOTHING to help us! There was a 2 page article on the suffering middle class this past Sunday. After I read it, I just cried.

In any event, does anyone know or have any suggestions of where a safe, affordable place in the US is? I was considering MD, VA or GA or either of Carolinas, but just not sure where to go.

Any help is very much appreciated!! Thanks and good luck to all Long Islanders out there!!
Check out Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC. It's very affordable, generally very safe, a beautiful area with lots of trees/greenery and friendly as well.

Winston-Salem, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Greensboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe Upstate NY may work if you want to stay in NY, but it will depend on what you are looking for in a community and job availability. This may give you an idea in terms of the latter. Central New York Jobs

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-openings.html

This could help in terms of housing prices: Upstate New York Real Estate

Here are some potential listings in the Rochester area for instance: Office Manager Jobs, Employment in Rochester, NY | Indeed.com
Just let the OP know that although the $ amt. of property taxes are lower (because the market value of the property is much lower) the tax rate is higher compared to downstate.

When I moved from Monroe Co. to Nassau Co. I couldn't believe how low a tax people paid compared to the market value of the house. I was in sticker-shock by the high price of low-end homes but that's a different topic. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.