Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times

Advertisements

Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania or WV. Pittsburgh would probably be your best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Hockey and guns, hmm maybe Wisconsin or Michigan? No 114 degree summers there, lots of the "four seasons" weather your looking for too.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 AM

58 posts, read 127,033 times
I have been researching Indianapolis, IN and it seems like a really awesome fit for us. We want to be North, but not too North, because we want a somewhat decent drive to FL when we do visit family. The drive from IN is 2 hours shorter than from here in TX to FL. I still need to do more research before I decide though! But I have been getting tons of replies, so thank you!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffc View Post
I have been researching Indianapolis, IN and it seems like a really awesome fit for us. We want to be North, but not too North, because we want a somewhat decent drive to FL when we do visit family. The drive from IN is 2 hours shorter than from here in TX to FL. I still need to do more research before I decide though! But I have been getting tons of replies, so thank you!
Also if it helps Indiana doesnt have speed crazy cops
i was doing 70 on I-465 a couple days ago and i passed a cop The Speed limit was 55.
Speed limit in Rural Indiana outside of the cities on the interstate is 70.
Also i should mention if you go further north of Indy like to Chicago etc in the winter youll have lake effect snow. Which anyone that lives near it will tell you its awful to get caught in it.
Lake effect snow can fall in small bands and drop feet of snow in a certain location *depending on the wind direction and speed*
Luckily Indy is to far away to deal with lake effect snow so average snowfall per winter is only 2 feet. Although last winter during the Super Bowl Indiana barely if had any winter at all haha *Global Warming is coming!*
The funny thing is though Indianapolis spent hundreds of thousands of dollars preparing for a blizzard during the Super Bowl and nothing like that happened Which is good to know that if snow does come the city is prepared/does a good job clearing the roads.
Heck i dont think it even snowed in Indy during those 10 days. Average highs were in the 50s and even low 60s for 2 days IN THE MIDDLE OF FEBRUARY!

Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM

58 posts, read 127,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Also if it helps Indiana doesnt have speed crazy cops
i was doing 70 on I-465 a couple days ago and i passed a cop The Speed limit was 55.
Speed limit in Rural Indiana outside of the cities on the interstate is 70.
Also i should mention if you go further north of Indy like to Chicago etc in the winter youll have lake effect snow. Which anyone that lives near it will tell you its awful to get caught in it.
Lake effect snow can fall in small bands and drop feet of snow in a certain location *depending on the wind direction and speed*
Luckily Indy is to far away to deal with lake effect snow so average snowfall per winter is only 2 feet. Although last winter during the Super Bowl Indiana barely if had any winter at all haha *Global Warming is coming!*
The funny thing is though Indianapolis spent hundreds of thousands of dollars preparing for a blizzard during the Super Bowl and nothing like that happened Which is good to know that if snow does come the city is prepared/does a good job clearing the roads.
Heck i dont think it even snowed in Indy during those 10 days. Average highs were in the 50s and even low 60s for 2 days IN THE MIDDLE OF FEBRUARY!
That's awesome! Here at Ft. Hood all the speed limits are 30, then jump to 60-70 on the interstate. I HATE it. I am glad we don't have a lot of cops around here or I would be in some serious trouble for speeding. Lol.
We have only experienced literally like 1 in of snow haha, so we will be in for a surprise when we do finally get to see some. But I'm glad there isn't an overwhelming amount! I have been looking into Greenwood if you know where that is, and have any opinions I'd love to hear them!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffc View Post
That's awesome! Here at Ft. Hood all the speed limits are 30, then jump to 60-70 on the interstate. I HATE it. I am glad we don't have a lot of cops around here or I would be in some serious trouble for speeding. Lol.
We have only experienced literally like 1 in of snow haha, so we will be in for a surprise when we do finally get to see some. But I'm glad there isn't an overwhelming amount! I have been looking into Greenwood if you know where that is, and have any opinions I'd love to hear them!
Greenwood is a nice suburb.
Carmel/Fishers are the more upscale suburbs of Indianapolis on the north side and you can get alot of bang for your buck. Carmel/Fishers compare to the high end suburbs of Chicago/Detroit etc. Someone said before Carmel compares to a smaller Naperville, Illinois. Which would be about right.
Also so more locals from Indianapolis see this thread i would recommend recreating a thread in the Indianapolis subforum under the main Indiana forum.

Also question for the OP.
Have you been in a city that has hosted the Super Bowl? or went to a Super Bowl?
Cause Indianapolis is planning on bidding for its 2nd Super Bowl in 2018 or 2019 if you want to see what downtown Indy was like during those 10 days i would google up Super Bowl Village in Indianapolis.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:03 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Define big city. It may be difficult to find land within 30 minutes of some peoples definition of big city. Having said that, weather wise, the Denver, CO area sounds like it may be a fit.
Yeah, Denver or Colorado Springs was the first place that came to mind.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
After I read your post, but hadn't yet looked at replies, I thought of Colorado, too. Outside of Denver maybe. Seems others think that, too.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Surprised that no one here has mentioned North Carolina. It's a great state for people who like to see things go bang!

I know that there is Airsoft around the state and adult ice hockey in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. Fireworks are everywhere and no problem. As to gun laws IIRC NC has reciprocal carry laws with Texas and many other states, though local laws can be more or less restrictive. Generally, form what I can see, less in small towna and rural areas, more in the cities themselves. And finally land is cheap and plentiful, the cost of living low. In the R/D/C area you can find that land and also be not far from the entertainment, activities, restaurants, etc of the area, plus only a few hours from the beaches on the Atlantic.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:01 PM

152 posts, read 298,719 times
Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.