Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

There is definitely a trend. About half of my core group of friends from college who moved out of state, moved to either Portland or Seattle. Recently, a work friend moved to Seattle, and within a year, her two best friends moved up there, too.

On the other hand, a lot of people seem to be moving to Austin, as well. And we get a lot of out of staters moving here to New Mexico. It seems that everyone in the sunbelt wants to move to the PNW and everyone up north wants to move to the sunbelt. Buncha gypsies the lot of ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There is definitely a trend. About half of my core group of friends from college who moved out of state, moved to either Portland or Seattle. Recently, a work friend moved to Seattle, and within a year, her two best friends moved up there, too.

On the other hand, a lot of people seem to be moving to Austin, as well. And we get a lot of out of staters moving here to New Mexico. It seems that everyone in the sunbelt wants to move to the PNW and everyone up north wants to move to the sunbelt. Buncha gypsies the lot of ya!
A ton of my high school and college classmates moved as well, to the PNW or Austin. All of the hype right now for young people is to go to Portland, Seattle, or Austin. It's all about hipster culture as that is the big thing right now. People with families and jobs want to move to the Sunbelt. I had actually planned to move to Austin but my family threw such a fit about it I gave in and didn't do it, plus the friend I was going to go with ended up getting a girlfriend and moving to Tulsa instead. In hindsight it's best I didn't because job competition is extremely tough down there because so many young people are moving there.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:44 AM

822 posts, read 2,202,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its the "Overcast belt"

OMG after living in Portland, Oregon for two years I LOVE THIS NAME. I had to get out of there b/c the gloom got to me. "Overcast Belt" I love it.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:58 AM

71 posts, read 114,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
In 50 years the majority of Americans will live in the South and NOTHING is going to change that.
Except the fact that year after year we keep breaking records for heat. This year is the hottest year on record, breaking last year's record and so on. Also could use a little more and a little better water down south.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:11 AM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Texas and Florida still lead the pack by a considerable margin, so would suffice to say there isn't a "new Sunbelt" transition occurring. Below are the Top 10 MSAs from 2010-2011. There are probably many smaller MSAs in Texas and Florida that fared quite well also by percent of population that didn't make the list which is based on pure number of transplants.

Metro Areas with Highest Net Population gains (July 2010 through July 2011)

1. Dallas-Fort Worth
2. Miami-Fort Lauderdale
3. Austin
4. Tampa-St Petersburg-Clearwater
5. Houston
6. Washington DC
7. Denver
8. San Antonio
9. Seattle
10. Riverside-San Bernandino CA

Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 PM

510 posts, read 888,934 times
I don't think Seattle and Portland will grow too much more. Seattle has a high cost of living and the state is very regulatory. Seattle has traffic problems and limited land. It might be okay for high paying tech jobs, but I don't see it as supporting a large influx of the general population.
Portland has expansion laws around the Willamette Valley to prevent sprawl and development of surrounding farmland, so I'd guess that the development would be urban replanning and that usually costs a lot. I think the NW areas are kind of cost prohibitive. Southern states (Texas for example) are very business friendly compared to the NW, provide plenty of room for development and have a cost of living that would better fuel a city's growth.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
I don't think Seattle and Portland will grow too much more. Seattle has a high cost of living and the state is very regulatory. Seattle has traffic problems and limited land. It might be okay for high paying tech jobs, but I don't see it as supporting a large influx of the general population.
Portland has expansion laws around the Willamette Valley to prevent sprawl and development of surrounding farmland, so I'd guess that the development would be urban replanning and that usually costs a lot. I think the NW areas are kind of cost prohibitive. Southern states (Texas for example) are very business friendly compared to the NW, provide plenty of room for development and have a cost of living that would better fuel a city's growth.
Ok but if Seattle and Portland have strong tech and medical job markets with high paying jobs wont those workers need services like food ,medical, entertainment and such. Thats what is fueling Seattles economy now companies like Amazon and Microsoft. Amazon is growing at a very fast rate building new buildings downtown Seattle every year. And Northeastern University , University Of Washington have built new university campuses downtown. University of Seattle is doubling its size also. With high tech and medical research in such demand it will continue to grow the economy of the northwest. Yes I can agree the Northwest wont sprawl like sun belt cities it will be urban growth in city. In Seattle metro when a factory closes down its redeveloped heres a example. Kent town center was built on an old chemical plant . The landing in Renton was built on old Boeing land in to a town center. By redeveloping properties in the Seattle metro there will be many years of growth. The other thing to look at is with high housing prices in the Seattle metro Many people chose to live in an urban enviroment . Wich fuels downtown growth downtown Seattle with 70,000 residents and still growing at a rapid pace makes a viberant downtown. Where most sun belt cities lack.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post

Somebody expects Portland to grow like crazy. No new jobs but many, many housing units are being built in neighborhoods where smaller structures are being torn down to make way for them. I am talking about 50-80 small mostly studio apartments in each building. A few will have one and two bedroom apartments but not many as I understand it.

I don't know why these sardine cans are being built if the builders don't expect people to move into them but there are sure a lot of them going up.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:35 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
. For the South to have a majority of the people, the South will have to contain 219.5 million people, or literally account for 105.5 million out of the 129 million people that the US is going to grow by.

So, where are all these people going to come from?
Mexico

Old 12-15-2012, 05:39 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
I don't think most people in Oregon really want rapid growth. They want more stability than that. The idea of Portland following the lead of Houston/DFW/Atlanta/Phoenix (or even Seattle, for that matter) is a nightmare for a lot of locals, rather than a desirable goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.