Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:00 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
LA will continue its decline due to drought, low wages, high COL, sinking economy, and Chicago will overtake it as the 2nd city, I also see a day not too far in to the future when Bay Area becomes the premier city of California.
Is this a post from The Onion?

LA has the largest annual numeric population growth of any metro in the U.S. This has basically been true non-stop for the past century.

How can the metro that is always #1 in growth "in decline"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 11:01 AM

65 posts, read 41,944 times
Quote:
LA will continue its decline due to drought, low wages, high COL, sinking economy, and Chicago will overtake it as the 2nd city, I also see a day not too far in to the future when Bay Area becomes the premier city of California.
Ha Ha Ha. Chicago will never overtake LA with population, GDP, influence, etc. It's too late. That ship sailed in the 60s and is not returning. Also, LA is not declining. If anything its on the cusp of a boom with the downtown and Hollywood experiencing much new construction, plans moving forward for a 1B+ NFL stadium, LAX renovations, major museum additions/remakes, many inner neighborhoods gentrifying. Plus LA is number one or two in the US right now for construction of new Metro lines which will help with traffic. Its the largest center of mfg in the US and has one of the largest ports in the world. Many residents have pride in their city and want to see it as one of the best in the world. This attitude was much less prevelant 20 to 30 years when there were many naysayers and some were trying to break the city up. Thank our lucky stars that many of these people have left. Also, the Bay Area will never replace LA as the premier city in California. I live in the Bay Area and while it is in a tech boom it just doesn't have the numbers, room or desire to replace LA as California's largest most influential city.

If I were Chicago I wouldn't be concerning myself with overtaking LA as much as I would be concerned about being relegated to No. 4 in the country in terms of population and GDP in the next 20 to 30 years, as one or both of the Texas' largest metro areas and/or cities overtake Chicago. What's the population spread now between Houston and Chicago 500K? And Houston continues to boom and grow. Watch out!!

Old 07-13-2015, 11:55 AM

35,074 posts, read 31,302,097 times
No, the city of Chicago proper has been in a state of population decline for decades.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:17 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times
I just returned from visiting my family in LA, the place is a train wreck, dirty, expensive, traffic, homeless epidemic, monogamous culture of Mexicans etc. With the demographics becoming more and more Hispanic than what it already is I just don't see a bright future for the city.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:20 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
I just returned from visiting my family in LA, the place is a train wreck, dirty, expensive, traffic, homeless epidemic, monogamous culture of Mexicans etc. With the demographics becoming more and more Hispanic than what it already is I just don't see a bright future for the city.
You are wrong about everything you wrote. Chicago has all the same problems LA has with even more crime. Not that I care I would never live in either city but you could have been more wrong if you tried.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
What will hurt LA the most is the lack of public transit as the world switches from cars to public transit. LA is trying, but it's almost too little too late. Add the lack of water. Add the high cost of living combined with low and stagnant wages. If LA can figure out its housing crisis, build subways faster, get higher paying jobs, and fix the water system, it could be bigger than NYC one day. At this rate, I think the city's approaching its peak and will plateau. I doubt it will ever shrink like the Rust Belt cities, but I believe it will plateau one day.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:38 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatravelinguy View Post
Ha Ha Ha. Chicago will never overtake LA with population, GDP, influence, etc. It's too late. That ship sailed in the 60s and is not returning. Also, LA is not declining. If anything its on the cusp of a boom with the downtown and Hollywood experiencing much new construction, plans moving forward for a 1B+ NFL stadium, LAX renovations, major museum additions/remakes, many inner neighborhoods gentrifying. Plus LA is number one or two in the US right now for construction of new Metro lines which will help with traffic. Its the largest center of mfg in the US and has one of the largest ports in the world. Many residents have pride in their city and want to see it as one of the best in the world. This attitude was much less prevelant 20 to 30 years when there were many naysayers and some were trying to break the city up. Thank our lucky stars that many of these people have left. Also, the Bay Area will never replace LA as the premier city in California. I live in the Bay Area and while it is in a tech boom it just doesn't have the numbers, room or desire to replace LA as California's largest most influential city.

If I were Chicago I wouldn't be concerning myself with overtaking LA as much as I would be concerned about being relegated to No. 4 in the country in terms of population and GDP in the next 20 to 30 years, as one or both of the Texas' largest metro areas and/or cities overtake Chicago. What's the population spread now between Houston and Chicago 500K? And Houston continues to boom and grow. Watch out!!
Chicago isn't worried...and Chicago isn't the OP. Houston will spread out until it, someday, may catch Chicago, but that won't make it Chicago. You do have a water issue, though, and that needs to be dealt with.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:12 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Chicago isn't worried...and Chicago isn't the OP. Houston will spread out until it, someday, may catch Chicago, but that won't make it Chicago. You do have a water issue, though, and that needs to be dealt with.
Well it's not like Houston sits in a desert or anything or even a prairie hundreds of miles away from any large body of water.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:17 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well it's not like Houston sits in a desert or anything or even a prairie hundreds of miles away from any large body of water.
I wasn't talking about Houston, I was responding to the poster I quoted. LA has a water issue.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:16 AM

398 posts, read 382,428 times
Quote:
This is dead on. LA is a dumpster fire.

Is Los Angeles the Toughest Town for Singles? | HuffPost

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBiR2rKU69U
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/0...alifornia.html

Extremely sprawling, full of traffic, no culture to speak of, full of fake people, poverty-ridden, low energy, awful nightlife, high cost of living, people are very cutthroat (crabs in a bucket mentality), etc.

Chicago by a country mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.