Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM

68 posts, read 681,186 times

Advertisements

I want to buy raw land and build my own home.

I want to build something unconventional, maybe adobe, cob, or earth berm. All off-grid. I might even stay in a tipi or tree house for a while until I get the permanent structure built up.

Where can I go to build like this, without a lot of regulations and hassles?

I hear that some parts of Alaska are like this. But i'd like to stay in the lower 48.

I am mostly interested in the west coast, California, Oregon and Washington. But i'm open to any place really.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 11:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Harris County (Houston), Texas

Zoning laws there are VERY lax. You can pretty much build what you want where ever you want. The only major city in the US like that. Its not uncommon at all to see multi-million dollar homes next to less desirable areas or skyscrapers rising randomly out of residential backyards. Churches next door to liquor stores, adult video stores, etc. In fact, there is even a house made entirely of beer cans in Houston. Go figure right?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Bonner County, ID is pretty popular for said reason.

But I want to say all lots must be a minimum of 5 acres in some (if not, all) areas.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,334 times
Klamath county is not. I do not know about lake county though.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:48 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Zoning laws there are VERY lax. You can pretty much build what you want where ever you want. The only major city in the US like that. Its not uncommon at all to see multi-million dollar homes next to less desirable areas or skyscrapers rising randomly out of residential backyards. Churches next door to liquor stores, adult video stores, etc. In fact, there is even a house made entirely of beer cans in Houston. Go figure right?
Just wait and see what happens if you guys pass legalized MJ. Oh my, where do we put the pot shops

Old 06-17-2015, 12:35 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

What you are talking about are zoning laws (what you can build and where). Houston most certainly has building codes (what you can construct and how), and building permits.

For the OP, if you are interested in Western states, I know Colorado has several counties that have no building codes or even building permit requirements.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:16 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,266,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
What you are talking about are zoning laws (what you can build and where). Houston most certainly has building codes (what you can construct and how), and building permits.

For the OP, if you are interested in Western states, I know Colorado has several counties that have no building codes or even building permit requirements.
I agree. I have a friend who lived in the Houston area for many years, and they some of the more tighter building codes. I think maybe the OP was referring to pre-1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.