Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Cold and dark doesn't sound bad, right about now. I'm getting a little annoyed with warm and sunny in February. I've spent my entire life living in places with mild winters, but I doubt I'll ever truly enjoy them.
Last "winter" drove me ****ing nuts. Two two-day cold spells and barely any rain. The rest of the time it was mild to warm. It's no wonder I got tired of the heat by the time July arrived. This winter had a late start, but it's been good for about the last month or so, with plenty of cool days and cold nights, and a lot of steady, soaking rain events that are finally putting a dent in the drought. There's supposed to be a good rain event this weekend, followed very quickly by another one early next week. Bring on the rain!

I like variety in my weather. Warm weather is great, but cold weather is necessary. Sunshine is great, but clouds and rain are necessary. When the weather is warm, I prefer it to be sunny, but when it's cold, I actually prefer it to be cloudy. Warm but cloudy seems like a waste, and sunny but cold annoys me. Cloudy days are literally easier on the eyes too. Oh yeah, and I can't stand a warm Christmas. At the very least, get chilly by sunset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUBison View Post
I have to agree with this post. Most people I know where I live dont really care if it gets cold or if there is snow. We like our low unemployment, low cost of living, low crime rate, ect. I dont see why so many people are caught up on weather when it comes to living somewhere. I can understand when you want to retire or when you get up there in age but to move somewhere just based on weather seems silly to me.
Well, to be fair, the survey was put out by weather.com.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM

132 posts, read 195,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Nasty cold winters and overly provincial populace
Hey, the winters aren't bad if you're okay with bundling up, and there might be a bunch of hicks over in Wisconsin, but the Twin Cities are a bit different. We're actually bigger than Denver. Betchya didn't know that, now, didya?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Interesting that only 1 coastal state made the top 10.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM

87 posts, read 213,042 times
Here is a closer to the truth list

1) North Dakota...
2) South Dakota....
3) Boise Idaho.......
4) Iowa...
5) New Hampshire
6) Vermont
7) Maine
9) NJ
10) Conneticutt

Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Arkansas, Tennesse, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri and Oklahoma should not be on that list at all. Mississippi, Michigan, and West Virgina maybe belong because of economic troubles. Having visited 46 states I can make my own list of depresssing places.

1.New Jersey
2.Rhode Island
3.Conneticut
4.New York
5.Massachusetts
6.California

To me the things that make a state a depressing place to be is litter and overcrowding. Aggresive fast paced lifestyles also make a state unpleasant to me. Obviously the folks that made this list dont like the south and they are not to fond of the midwest either as every state on the list is in one of those two regions. My personal bias is more against the urbanized northeast so that shows on MY list. Seems like all these "best states" and "worst states" lists are nothing more than the personal bias of the author of the list.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
I'm not surprised about Michigan, that's the only state that's lowering in population while the other 49 are raising. I love the state's attractions like the Mackinac Island and Frankenmuth, but it's one of the hardest states to make a living in.

Really? My company cannot hire people fast enough.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Really? My company cannot hire people fast enough.
I live in Michigan and get several job offers a month via email or telephone, even though I am gainfully employed and make $40/hour. My dh was recently looking for work and got five calls in one day last week. He accepted a new position yesterday.

The whole "Michigan is the poster boy for the bad economy" thing is highly overdone. Maybe 2-3 years ago, but things here have turned around considerably, especially as it has become a more business friendly state under our current governor. Because of that and the recent years of drought across the country and Michigan's abundant water supply, we just may become the next "go to" state. Who knows?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As long as "having a job" is the only worthwhile attribute in modern American life, I guess that is what defines "depressing". And here we are, after 5,000 years of civilization, and "having a job" is the best we can hope to attain in a lifetime.
That's nice. Until you actually have to put food on your table and clothes on your children's backs.

Jeez, I hate it when tambourine bangers start to dish out this hippy-dippy nonsense.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
My list would have been

1) New Jersey
2) Connecticut
3) New York

LOL, yes, the most dense area in the country that consists of the largest, most happenin' city, with everything from amazing nightlife to beautiful suburbs with fantastic schools dotted with marinas, yacht clubs and country clubs, with four distinct seasons and ranks 1 in Human Development in the WORLD - is depressed.

LOL. Right.

Let me guess - you live in one of the southern or midwest states that ranks greater than 40 of 50 on the Human Development index, has high obesity and poor student performance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.