Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 PM

405 posts, read 823,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
Snoop Dog doesn't sound country. He sounds perpetually high as a kite. Lol!

...and if you think you talk fast, you've never watched KOTH or met a real life Boomhauer from Texas.
When I first moved to Texas, I lived in East Texas, which is a very rural, Deep South area of the state. I'm Black and grew up in the South, but I swear half the white people down there sounded just like Boomhauer from King of the Hill and I couldn't tell what the hell half of them were saying. I remember once I even had to have a friend who was a 20s something white guy born and raised in East Texas translate what this older white East Texan was saying. It was VERY Southern and rural there, and it was the first time in my life I couldn't understand another American due to regional differences. That's why I laugh at the OP's obvious race baiting and all the clowns who are co-signing him, because there are white people who are VERY Southern from places like East Texas and Appalachia who even other white people not from those regions wouldn't even be able to understand if they heard them talk. Why do you think they subtitle white people from Southern Lousiana on shows like "Swamp People" even when they're not speaking in Cajun dialect? So don't just pick on Black Americans' speech variances and try to label Black people nationwide as country bumpkin Ebonics speakers. I honestly don't know how anyone can listen to a black guy like Randy Moss from country *** West Virginia and then listen to ones like Kanye West from Chicago, Jay-Z from New York, and Ice Cube from LA and say they all sound the same or sound "Southern" anyway. Some of you all seriously need to get your ears checked if you disagree. Either that or you're just trying to be racist and make fun of Black people on the sly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 01:14 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,972,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
When I first moved to Texas, I lived in East Texas, which is a very rural, Deep South area of the state. I'm Black and grew up in the South, but I swear half the white people down there sounded just like Boomhauer from King of the Hill and I couldn't tell what the hell half of them were saying. I remember once I even had to have a friend who was a 20s something white guy born and raised in East Texas translate what this older white East Texan was saying. It was VERY Southern and rural there, and it was the first time in my life I couldn't understand another American due to regional differences. That's why I laugh at the OP's obvious race baiting and all the clowns who are co-signing him, because there are white people who are VERY Southern from places like East Texas and Appalachia who even other white people not from those regions wouldn't even be able to understand if they heard them talk. Why do you think they subtitle white people from Southern Lousiana on shows like "Swamp People" even when they're not speaking in Cajun dialect? So don't just pick on Black Americans' speech variances and try to label Black people nationwide as country bumpkin Ebonics speakers. I honestly don't know how anyone can listen to a black guy like Randy Moss from country *** West Virginia and then listen to ones like Kanye West from Chicago, Jay-Z from New York, and Ice Cube from LA and say they all sound the same or sound "Southern" anyway. Some of you all seriously need to get your ears checked if you disagree. Either that or you're just trying to be racist and make fun of Black people on the sly...
I think the title of this thread was poorly worded. But I think people have been saying is that blacks do tend to have certain speech patterns that originated in the south. It doesn't have to be an accent. It could be word choice. For example, blacks pretty much anywhere will use the term y'all. But you don't see whites up north or in the west using that very often.

Also, I don't think people are making fun of blacks by inquiring about "southern" accents. Would it be equally offensive to you if somebody wrote, "why do all black people have northern accents?"

Old 03-04-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I think the title of this thread was poorly worded. But I think people have been saying is that blacks do tend to have certain speech patterns that originated in the south. It doesn't have to be an accent. It could be word choice. For example, blacks pretty much anywhere will use the term y'all. But you don't see whites up north or in the west using that very often.

Also, I don't think people are making fun of blacks by inquiring about "southern" accents. Would it be equally offensive to you if somebody wrote, "why do all black people have northern accents?"
Yes. I think a white, Hispanic, Asian, or whatever person would be equally offended if you tried to paint all of their people as speaking one and the same way---no matter where they are from---when it's clearly not true. It's no different from someone saying all Italians sound like Super Mario when they talk, all Mexicans talk like cholos from East LA, or all Asian people sound like Bruce Lee when they speak English. So to answer your question, yes, it would be equally offensive.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Ummm...that is certainly not true. What kind of non-Southern Black people have YOU been watching/listening to/hanging around?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:05 PM

187 posts, read 347,157 times
Quote:
So don't just pick on Black Americans' speech variances and try to label Black people nationwide as country bumpkin Ebonics speakers. I honestly don't know how anyone can listen to a black guy like Randy Moss from country *** West Virginia and then listen to ones like Kanye West from Chicago, Jay-Z from New York, and Ice Cube from LA and say they all sound the same or sound "Southern" anyway. Some of you all seriously need to get your ears checked if you disagree. Either that or you're just trying to be racist and make fun of Black people on the sly...
I thought the same thing when I saw this thread. Lol!

I'm white, of Scottish decent, was born and raised in the Texas Panhandle, and have lived in the south all of my life. I have a Texas accent but not a heavy one by any means. I had a hard time understanding people, of any race, from Louisiana when I first encountered them.

I hear FAR thicker southern accents from white people than I do from black people in the south. The accents are also different. White people use just as much slang as black people. We are a slang heavy nation, period.

I hate it when someone says, "Oh he's/she's black, but she sounds white." What they're really trying to say is that if you talk "white" that is the proper way to talk. I beg to differ. If we are basing proper speech on the color of one's skin you have to start listing all of the horribly thick accents that derive from European immigrants into the States: Louisiana, New York, Bronx, Jersey, hillbilly, trailer trash, Boomhauer, etc...

The whole topic is a little silly. What I really think the objective to starting this conversation was, was to get a debate going about slavery and abolition. Hinting at the notion that ALL black people in the USA have slaves for ancestors and that no black people are here because of their own hard work and gumption...because, don't you know...if you're black, your ancestors were slaves from the south. <----------sarcasm

Which, a lot of black people do have ancestors who were slaves. However, that is not a reflection of the character of black ancestors. Actually the exact opposite...it's a direct reflection of the poor character of our white ancestors.

Last edited by TexKnox; 03-04-2013 at 11:19 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Would it be equally offensive to you if somebody wrote, "why do all black people have northern accents?"
Maybe the question you should be asking is: Would it be equally offensive if somebody wrote, "Why do all white southerners sound stupid?"

Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 PM

Does she sound southern to anyone here? Check your ears, people.

Michelle Obama's Democratic National Convention speech - CBS News Video

Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,870 times
Quote:
Finally! A post that makes some damn sense. Can we kill this thread now??

MSMAXIALE. post #127

Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
I thought the same thing when I saw this thread. Lol!

I had a hard time understanding people, of any race, from Louisiana when I first encountered them.

I hear FAR thicker southern accents from white people than I do from black people in the south. The accents are also different. White people use just as much slang as black people. We are a slang heavy nation, period.
EXACTLY!!!! For example, I never really have a problem understanding black people from Louisiana, but I've met and heard some white people from Louisiana and I had no idea what they were saying, and not all of them were Cajuns, either.

Also, even though it's not in the South, I think Boston/New England is another area where the black and white accents are VERY different and distinct from one another. The accent most people think of when they think of Boston/New England is one similar to JFK, but I've NEVER heard a black person from Boston/New England with that accent. That doesn't mean they have a SOUTHERN accent though, because Black Bostonians' accent is actually more like a light black New York accent than anything.

Last edited by Carlito Brigante; 03-05-2013 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,972,379 times
Quote:
Ummm...that is certainly not true. What kind of non-Southern Black people have YOU been watching/listening to/hanging around?
Chicago, Cincy, LA, you name it, I've head blacks from all over use it.

Wu Tang even used it in C.R.E.A.M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.