Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 11:28 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I guess.
The link I posted gave supported information regarding the relationship between to AAVE and African speech. What more do you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 12:06 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
My family is from Mississippi and I don't hear a particularly southern accent from myself since I grew up in Southern California, but then, I have always heard any particularly black dialect termed as 'ebonic' and subsequently insinuated as intellectually deficient, as if intelligence could be measured superficially. But yes, people regardless of ethnicity, may emulate the speech and vernacular of the area they grow up in. Blacks born during the past century, even if their families migrated north and west may exhibit even unknowingly, traces of southern grammar in their speech.
And sometimes we do recognize it. I'm fully aware that I seldom pronounce a difference between "pin" and "pen," but I pronounce "greasy" rhyming with either "fleecy" or "cheesy" depending on context.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:24 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
this is a typical Boston accent for the younger black generation

Milton Guard Juwan Gooding - YouTube

Most vowels shift to a flat "eh" sound as a sort of urban adaptation of the boston accent. Maybe to make it more hip or "hep" as the Boston kids would say

Old 10-24-2014, 05:35 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Here are New York Blacks with a typical Northeastern accent. Not a HINT of Southern in their speech at ALL. Not far at all from the way Whites in NYC talk. What is Southern here??

Jadakiss and Styles P Haze Vs Sour Pt 2 - YouTube

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 10-24-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 12-21-2014, 12:00 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Here are New York Blacks with a typical Northeastern accent. Not a HINT of Southern in their speech at ALL. Not far at all from the way Whites in NYC talk. What is Southern here??

Does not sound like NY whites to me.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Does not sound like NY whites to me.
When I listen more carefully, there are TINY remnants of Southernisms in their speech. Such as how they say "my" or "on" (mah and awn, respectively). Their vowels otherwise exhibit Northern patterns.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:45 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:

I actually hear quite a bit of Southern accent here. There's also an obvious Northeastern influence as well, but it just sounds like a hybrid of both accents to my ears.

Definitely doesn't sound like a typical white Northeastern accent.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I actually hear quite a bit of Southern accent here. There's also an obvious Northeastern influence as well, but it just sounds like a hybrid of both accents to my ears.

Definitely doesn't sound like a typical white Northeastern accent.
Yeah, at second listen I realize there do exist Southernisms in NYC speech in Blacks. Some of the vowels aren't Northeastern. It is less pronounced in Blacks that have grown up around Whites (like Spike Lee who sounds VERY Northeastern).

In my opinion, a good example of a true hybrid would be Beanie Sigel (Philadelphia). His seems to be very 50/50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxvt5VM8kTo

Old 12-22-2014, 10:45 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
The thing I don't get is why are you so worried about it? Are you a mad scientist or something trying to analyze blacks to death?

It's not something you can just turn off and turn on unless you force yourself to fyi.

Do people ask whites why they talk like hillbillies all the time? Obviously, they don't sound like us and we don't sound like them and don't even want to.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-14-2020 at 07:02 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times
Quote:

Sorry, that sounds mostly southern. I would never mistake those accents for being white New Yorkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.