Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 04:41 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,499 times

Advertisements

StuddedLeather, you apparantly didn't read my beginning post where I essentially said AAVE originated out of Southern dialect. However, to deny it's existence anywhere outside the South is being delusional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 04:57 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston Black accent is unique on it's own. I don't think there is anywhere that is similar. When I hear Atlantans talk, I don't hear Houston whatsoever. I do agree that Houston is not like New Orleans though. But I think Houston is really their own. Dallas black accent is similar to East Texas, Northern Louisiana, Arkansas, Northern Mississippi, and Memphis. I think that's Midland South.
Oh, there are definite similarities. It seems the region Houston belongs too extends from Southeast Texas to South Carolina.

When I lived in Atlanta, what I observed was a lot of the younger folks speaking in a dialect that's somewhat unique to the city (a lot of rushed syllables and chopping of words), but many of the older or less hip-hop influenced folks sounded just like back home. It became even more apparent, the further away from the city you got. Not to mention, whenever I spoke, far more people simply assumed I was originally from there.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:05 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
Well, you must not live in North Florida or the Panhandle then, because that's basically just an extension of Georgia and Alabama and is as Southern as it gets. Orlando/Central Florida black people I have met and known all sound Southern, too. Even in Miami/South Florida, Southern accents are easily noticeable among black people who don't have direct Caribbean or Latino roots that affect their speech patterns. Once again, I hate to use rappers as examples because those are usually the least educated examples you can find and education levels definitely affect speech, but just listen to Trick Daddy, Trina, and Uncle Luke. All from the "international" city of Miami and all sound country as HELL!!! LOL!
It's interesting, because as far as the speech patterns of the Black hip hop crowd goes, I find Miami to be quite similar to Jacksonville--both of which really aren't too far removed from Atlanta.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM

355 posts, read 913,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah right dude. You need to talk to the born and bred multiple generation Black Americans that grew up in South Florida. You can't sit there and tell me that the Blacks in Boyton Beach, Riviera Beach, etc. do not have a Southern accent. Palm Beach County is the home of Belle Glade and Pahokee and you trying to tell me they not Southern or they have no Southern accent? Just because they are different doesn't mean it's not Southern.
Still does not sound "Southern" to me and I lived in BB for 5 years. If by Southern you mean a twang (Kentucky, Alabama,Carolinas), there is NO twang.

Maybe I have a "southern" accent by your definition then since they don't sound any different than me other than using slang I am not familiar with.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
Still does not sound "Southern" to me and I lived in BB for 5 years. If by Southern you mean a twang (Kentucky, Alabama,Carolinas), there is NO twang.

Maybe I have a "southern" accent by your definition then since they don't sound any different than me other than using slang I am not familiar with.
It's obvious haven't been to the Black areas of South Florida. Even the Haitians and other Caribbeans are picking up the South Florida Black accent. Blacks in South Florida sound strongly southern

These are straight up Southern accents

HeadCrack of Monsta Music brings you to "The Beans" Miami - YouTube

Ft. Lauderdale ghetto in housing projects near Sistrunk - YouTube

Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, this is where we disagree. Atlanta, Birmingham, and Charlotte accents are mostly derived from the similar Lower South accent groups that Houston is, and I can definitely hear it in Georgians and Alabamans (not as sure about NC). Memphis seems to be a bit twangier, and, thus, might show more similarities to Dallas.

But the New Orleans accent is so distinct to the point where it's practically un-southern, and has minimal ties to even the surrounding Gulf region of which it is a part of.
Houston has a distinct accent. They have less of a drawl than other cities. More of a twang.

Slim Thug sounds very Houston to me.

Slim Thug interview - YouTube

Shawty Lo sounds Atlanta.

Shawty Lo Explains How Beef Between Him & T.I. All Started - YouTube

Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Houston has a distinct accent. They have less of a drawl than other cities. More of a twang.

Slim Thug sounds very Houston to me.

Slim Thug interview - YouTube

Shawty Lo sounds Atlanta.

Shawty Lo Explains How Beef Between Him & T.I. All Started - YouTube
Thanks, but I'm from Houston, and those of us who do have accents would have one that is characterized as more of a drawl. Dallasites are the ones with more of a twang.

I don't know why people reference the rappers and get the idea that they're somehow the best example. Of the rappers I've heard speak, the only one that really comes close to how your typical individual from a black neighborhood in Houston speaks is Lil' Keke. Slim Thug isn't an accurate representation of our accent any more than Lil' Wayne is of New Orleans. Shawty Lo sounds like my uncle (who's actually only a few years older than me).

Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
StuddedLeather, you apparantly didn't read my beginning post where I essentially said AAVE originated out of Southern dialect. However, to deny it's existence anywhere outside the South is being delusional.
Have to agree with this statement. The AAVE dialect is all over the country. There are different variations of it depending on the location but it's not just in the South. I think what some people get confused by is thinking that if you speak AAVE than you have to a southern accent which is not true. It just that AAVE has its origins in the southern dialect that's all. Dialects can certainly change over time and AAVE is no exception to that. Of course not every Black American speaks AAVE but a large percentage does. Like I said before, certain regions have a higher percentage than others.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 02-27-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 05:13 AM

405 posts, read 822,681 times
Some people are talking about the "Southern drawl" and a "Southern twang" all in the same post. To the people who are saying that, what do you consider to be the difference between a drawl and a twang?

This is interesting because some people seem to think that everybody across the entire South speaks with the exact same accent, and the South is way too big and diverse of a region for that. I think that's part of the reason why Hollywood actors who aren't from the South always do such TERRIBLE, laughable, cringe-worthy Southern accents.

For example, Terrance Howard in "Hustle and Flow" REALLY pissed me the hell off!!! Especially for someone who is supposed to be considered such a great actor.

Last edited by Carlito Brigante; 02-28-2013 at 05:25 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,968,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Have to agree with this statement. The AAVE dialect is all over the country. There are different variations of it depending on the location but it's not just in the South. I think what some people get confused by is thinking that if you speak AAVE than you have to a southern accent which is not true. It just that AAVE has its origins in the southern dialect that's all. Dialects can certainly change over time and AAVE is no exception to that. Of course not every Black American speaks AAVE but a large percentage does. Like I said before, certain regions have a higher percentage than others.
Exactly. There's a reason why northern blacks say y'all more than northern whites. And it doesn't have anything to do with accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.