Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it does irritate me when it seems that people are attempting to invalidate my knowledge of my own city. That may not have been your intention, but that is what I took from your post.
No that wasn't my intention. I'm just pointing out that similarites can be made between many of our people in different regions. My Aunt born and raised in Miami pronounces hand like "hang" and man like "mayne" like she's from Mississippi somewhere. I always laughed at her by saying that since I was a child. Again, Miami which is suppose to be the oh not so Southern city in Florida. Staying in Florida, if you travel to areas like Clewiston, you would hear Chicken "scrips" for strips, "screet" for streets, and "scrawberries" for strawberries from the older people. I've heard the older Black folks up here in Washington DC say it the exact same way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No that wasn't my intention. I'm just pointing out that similarites can be made between many of our people in different regions. My Aunt born and raised in Miami pronounces hand like "hang" and man like "mayne" like she's from Mississippi somewhere. I always laughed at her by saying that since I was a child. Again, Miami which is suppose to be the oh not so Southern city in Florida. Staying in Florida, if you travel to areas like Clewiston, you would hear Chicken "scrips" for strips, "screet" for streets, and "scrawberries" for strawberries from the older people. I've heard the older Black folks up here in Washington DC say it the exact same way.
And I agree, but also feel that it's important to point out that southern accents developed differently than in places like the northeast, where you have a completely different dialect every hundred miles or so. Texas was settled by Georgians, Alabamans, Mississippians, etc., with little other outside influence for most of our history, so it only makes sense that our accents would be derived from theirs.

To echo what I've heard someone else here say, I think that, aside from having their own dialect, different areas of the south even have their own rhythm of speaking. Still, if you took a black Houstonian and a black Atlantan and gave them a list of 30 random words to pronounce, 8 times out of 10 they would sound the same.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:01 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
And I agree, but also feel that it's important to point out that southern accents developed differently than in places like the northeast, where you have a completely different dialect every hundred miles or so. Texas was settled by Georgians, Alabamans, Mississippians, etc., with little other outside influence for most of our history, so it only makes sense that our accents would be derived from theirs.

To echo what I've heard someone else here say, I think that, aside from having their own dialect, different areas of the south even have their own rhythm of speaking. Still, if you took a black Houstonian and a black Atlantan and gave them a list of 30 random words to pronounce, 8 times out of 10 they would sound the same.
I think Tennessee and Virginia had more of an impact on settling and shaping Texas than any other state and that includes Georgia and Mississippi. But yes, I already know that Texas was settled by Southerners. But I will have to agree to disagree about Black Houstonian and Black Atlantans.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times
Quote:
I don't concur.
New Orleans isn't even really southern, it's more cajun, and not many people there white especially, even have southern accents.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,800 times
People from New Orleans still sound southern although it may be a unique southern. White or black, it does not matter. Lil Wayne, Birdman, and the rest of the original cash money, Peyton and Eli Manning, the Pelicans/Saints owner, Master P etc all sound southern.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think Tennessee and Virginia had more of an impact on settling and shaping Texas than any other state and that includes Georgia and Mississippi. But yes, I already know that Texas was settled by Southerners. But I will have to agree to disagree about Black Houstonian and Black Atlantans.
Not according to this map. *Granted, it's in reference to Anglo settlers.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atlas...pop_origin.jpg

I'm curious, though. Would you mind giving me an example of a word(s) that black Houstonians and Atlantans pronounce differently?

Old 03-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
New Orleans isn't even really southern, it's more cajun, and not many people there white especially, even have southern accents.
Well, NO is actually a Creole city.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM

405 posts, read 822,561 times
Quote:
Not according to this map. *Granted, it's in reference to Anglo settlers.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atlas...pop_origin.jpg

I'm curious, though. Would you mind giving me an example of a word(s) that black Houstonians and Atlantans pronounce differently?
Well maybe not VA, but I see Tennessee on that map almost, if not just as much, as MS, AL, and Louisiana. And even MO and AR show up more than GA.

I thought it was common knowledge though that Tennessee was one of the main Southern states where people migrated from to form the Republic of Texas. There are many examples, but the best one is probably Davy Crockett. He and a lot of other Tennesseans gave their lives for Texas at the Alamo fighting off General Santa Anna and the Mexican Army. The map even shows a heavy concentration of Tennessee migrants in the San Antonio area.

As a sidenote, Davy Crockett is one of the most famous Tennesseans ever, and the one of the funniest things to me about moving from Tennessee to Texas is that he is actually more revered and has 10x as many landmarks and things named after him in Texas than he does in Tennessee, even though most of his life and career were spent in TN and he was killed only 3 months after he moved to Texas.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,355 times
Here's a young man with a southern accent but it's from the mountain south, not coastal or deep south. If you listen to the video without watching it you would have a hard time, I think, guessing his ethnicity.

Upset:Randy Moss Says He Feels Unappreciated In New England & Thinks This Year Will Be His Last! - YouTube

Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
Well maybe not VA, but I see Tennessee on that map almost, if not just as much, as MS, AL, and Louisiana. And even MO and AR show up more than GA.

I thought it was common knowledge though that Tennessee was one of the main Southern states where people migrated from to form the Republic of Texas. There are many examples, but the best one is probably Davy Crockett. He and a lot of other Tennesseans gave their lives for Texas at the Alamo fighting off General Santa Anna and the Mexican Army. The map even shows a heavy concentration of Tennessee migrants in the San Antonio area.

As a sidenote, Davy Crockett is one of the most famous Tennesseans ever, and the one of the funniest things to me about moving from Tennessee to Texas is that he is actually more revered and has 10x as many landmarks and things named after him in Texas than he does in Tennessee, even though most of his life and career were spent in TN and he was killed only 3 months after he moved to Texas.
To be clear, I wasn't saying those were the only three states that settled Texas. That's why I put "etc".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.