Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 05:07 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The only time I ever hear someone say "y'all" - myself included - is if they're joking around, not really being serious. In serious, real everyday conversation, it's "you guys" or just "guys."
I hear White people say it all the time (in non-joking ways). We'll just have to agree to disagree. I can't dispute your experience on your side of the bridge anymore than you can mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classie View Post
I didn't know black people had hangups about the South. Please enlighten because in all my life, I haven't seen any examples of this.
Blacks and Whites look at the North/South distinction differently. For Blacks, the distinction rests more on style than substance, imo (dress, speech, hip hop, attitude, etc.). For Whites, "southern" is a more power packed word that comes along with many more negative connotations, namely slavery and racism. So the idea of being "southern" is not quite as repugnant to many Black people, imo. That's not to say that ALL white people have that hang up, but a lot of white people do (see the 4,679,777 threads on here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 05:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I hear White people say it all the time (in non-joking ways). We'll just have to agree to disagree. I can't dispute your experience on your side of the bridge anymore than you can mine.
In this case I don't think being across the river means much. The dialects are basically the same for most of NYC and NE NJ. Culturally, the NYC metro is pretty much homogenous, as most metros are. Language is included in culture. I went to college in Staten Island, where I knew many native New Yorkers from all boroughs and LI, and parts of the NYC metro region of upstate, and no one I know/knew ever said "y'all" on a daily basis in normal everyday conversation. It's not something you'd hear. Now I work part time in lower Manhattan, admittedly where there are a lot more transplants, but still, "y'all" is not something you hear in conversation. "Y'all" is not a New York thing. Do some New Yorkers say it? Sure, you can't make a blanket statement that they either do or don't, but it's not a "thing" around here. It's not part of our culture, it's not a trend, at least not among whites. Since I don't know many blacks, nor am I part of any sort of culture more specific to blacks, I cannot comment on their use of the word but I know it's not an ethnic white thing here like it is in the South - where people say "y'all" regardless of race or ethnicity.

It's not a northern thing and I disagree that its use is spreading nationwide.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:18 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that at all. But a black woman from NYC probably sounds more similar to a black woman from Birmingham than a White Woman from NYC sounds like a white woman from Birmingham.
You should honestly get out more. Saying something so silly like this, is like someone saying all White people sound the same, which is FAR FROM from the truth. If you can't hear the difference between a black lady from the northeast and a black lady from Mississippi you honestly should get checked out. When exactly would a lady (Black, White, Latina, etc) from New York need to go to a Piggly Wiggly or Wal-Mart? (We don't even have a Walmart here lol!) That example is just one but no one in NY would need to reference that store. So how example would someone from Harlem and New Orleans sound "similar" - they wouldn't.

This was one of the best responses from the thread. If people can't hear the difference then generalizations are actually more screwed than I originally thought . . .

Quote:
No, I mean it's not a "dialect." Some Black people in Boston will say the word "car" or "park" just as a white Bostonian would. But the grammatical rules that govern their speech are different. Whereas in standard English (with a Boston accent) one would say...

Where did you pahk the cah?

In AAVE, one would say...

Where you pahk the cah (at)?

That's the biggest difference. It has nothing to do with the way the vowels sound. Mike Tyson uses AAVE but hardly sounds southern.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:26 PM

156 posts, read 200,435 times
Quote:
Blacks and Whites look at the North/South distinction differently. For Blacks, the distinction rests more on style than substance, imo (dress, speech, hip hop, attitude, etc.). For Whites, "southern" is a more power packed word that comes along with many more negative connotations, namely slavery and racism. So the idea of being "southern" is not quite as repugnant to many Black people, imo. That's not to say that ALL white people have that hang up, but a lot of white people do (see the 4,679,777 threads on here).
Wow, so now you are the authority on white people? Weird that I can't make any comment about black people without being labeled a racist by you but you can make laughable generalizations about what "white people think". So many things are starting to make sense now.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:27 PM

156 posts, read 200,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
You should honestly get out more. Saying something so silly like this, is like someone saying all White people sound the same, which is FAR FROM from the truth. If you can't hear the difference between a black lady from the northeast and a black lady from Mississippi you honestly should get checked out. When exactly would a lady (Black, White, Latina, etc) from New York need to go to a Piggly Wiggly or Wal-Mart? (We don't even have a Walmart here lol!) That example is just one but no one in NY would need to reference that store. So how example would someone from Harlem and New Orleans sound "similar" - they wouldn't.

This was one of the best responses from the thread. If people can't hear the difference then generalizations are actually more screwed than I originally thought . . .
It isn't silly, a black guy in New York sound 50 times more like a black guy in Alabama than a white guy in New York sounds like a white guy in Alabama.

It's like the fact that black American people are from the south isn't registering. Maybe in 100-200 years they will sound very different but they still sound southern.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:32 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's not a northern thing and I disagree that its use is spreading nationwide.
Times do change.

Quote:
In a June appearance on NBC's Today Show, singer Marc Anthony made an unusual, but according to some linguists, not so surprising word choice. When co-host Matt Lauer asked Anthony how he'd spend the upcoming weekend, Anthony said "Y'all know I don't talk about my personal life." A native New Yorker of Puerto Rican descent using the word y'all?

Linguists Guy Bailey and Jan Tillery would say Anthony is Exhibit A in a national trend that is spreading the use of the word "y'all" beyond the South.
San Antonio linguists study the spread of 'y'all' - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Meanwhile, just as y'all seems to be spreading outside the South, "you guys" is moving into the South especially among younger speakers.
https://muse.jhu.edu/login?auth=0&ty...5.4maynor.html

Quote:
In contemporary New York City, it is common to hear local teenagers use the word "y'all." A few decades ago, this word would have been confined to speakers of African American Vernacular English who brought the word with them from the American South. Yet nowadays, with the spread of AAVE, the word has been adopted by young New Yorkers of every ethnicity under the sun.
The Remarkable History of "Y'all" | Dialect Blog

Old 04-03-2015, 05:32 PM

115 posts, read 165,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
It isn't silly, a black guy in New York sound 50 times more like a black guy in Alabama than a white guy in New York sounds like a white guy in Alabama.

It's like the fact that black American people are from the south isn't registering. Maybe in 100-200 years they will sound very different but they still sound southern.
That's because both the black person from the South and the black person in the North might be speaking AAVE (and even that isn't always the case). However they might both be speaking AAVE, but with different accents. I don't know why this is so hard to comprehend.

And the bolded is simply an oversimplification and a generalization.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:35 PM

...so yall really think that Memphis has the same accent as TI? Just wondering so I can be clear on the absurdity.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:39 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classie View Post
...so yall really think that Memphis has the same accent as TI? Just wondering so I can be clear on the absurdity.
They both sound clearly southern. It is isn't even remotely in the same ballpark as the difference between a white New York accent and a white Georgia accent.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
They both sound clearly southern. It is isn't even remotely in the same ballpark as the difference between a white New York accent and a white Georgia accent.
Oh ok. So because they're both speaking AAVE, they have the same accent now.

And with that, I'm out. I won't contribute to the lengthening of this thread any longer. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.