Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 05:17 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times

Advertisements

Driving from Providence, RI to Boston was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever done. Cars everywhere and my average speed was about 50 mph.

Here in Iowa, I usually get on any major highway, set my cruise control at 75 mph and just enjoy the scenery for 3 hours

The drive between Des Moines and Minneapolis is one that I have done hundreds of times and I can pretty set my cruise control and go all the way without ever having to step on my brakes or reset my cruise control. I could never get used to living in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 05:25 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times
I agree with a lot of what the OP wrote and do miss a lot of what he mentions, especially the cultural aspects. Culture and history seem to be lacking in CA. The cities in the Northeast (especially NYC) and Washington, DC (though not exactly in the NE) are certainly chock full of many great museums.

I don't miss the four seasons though. I think the winter is MISERABLE (especially the last one) and I don't miss it for one second. I am greatly enjoying a more stable year round climate and don't miss the humidity AT ALL.

I do especially agree about the crime rates being a lot better in the Northeast, at least where I am originally from. I don't feel safe in California. I always have my eyes open, maybe it is the New Yorker in me.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:27 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYinCA2014 View Post
I agree with a lot of what the OP wrote and do miss a lot of what he mentions, especially the cultural aspects. Culture and history seem to be lacking in CA. The cities in the Northeast (especially NYC) and Washington, DC (though not exactly in the NE) are certainly chock full of many great museums.

I don't miss the four seasons though. I think the winter is MISERABLE (especially the last one) and I don't miss it for one second. I am greatly enjoying a more stable year round climate and don't miss the humidity AT ALL.

I do especially agree about the crime rates being a lot better in the Northeast, at least where I am originally from. I don't feel safe in California. I always have my eyes open, maybe it is the New Yorker in me.
There is plenty of culture and history in California. You're just missing it.

You feel unsafe in all of California, or you feel unsafe in the specific city you live in?

Old 01-09-2015, 05:46 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
There is plenty of culture and history in California. You're just missing it.

You feel unsafe in all of California, or you feel unsafe in the specific city you live in?
I agree there is some culture and history, but not as much as on the other coast. For me, it is kind of like comparing the USA to Europe, they just have more culture/history since they have been established longer. There aren't places in CA like the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC or Shelburne Museum near Burlington, Vermont. To me the aforementioned places are great cultural and historical resources.

I am in a safer part of Silicon Valley and I do subscribe to get the crime updates in our surrounding area. A LOT goes on around us. We notice an extreme wealth disparity, especially in the Bay Area and I ponder if that causes some of the issues, but that is not the subject of this thread so I won't go on about it.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:10 PM

545 posts, read 1,100,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
I would say San Francisco is more "global" than DC.
lol you can say whatever you want buddy. look up any global city ranking. DC tops San Francisco in every ranking done. it goes NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, SF. in that order

Old 01-09-2015, 06:13 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
@NYinCA You do realize the Spanish got to California before the British got to Virginia, right?

Ever been to one of the Spanish missions? Or Campo de Cahuenga in Los Angeles, where Mexico surrendered to the United States and the peace treaty was signed for the Mexican/American War? Ever been to Olvera Street, or Old Town San Diego? What about in Northern California, specifically San Francisco, where the oldest Chinatown is located? BTW, Asia is very ancient.

I'll say it again, there's plenty of history and culture here. It just sounds like your biased opinion is getting in the way.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:32 PM

427 posts, read 500,175 times
The New York metropolitan area is the cultural center of the US. California is #2.

I definitely think of both areas as highly desirable places to live. People live and breathe culture there.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:28 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
@NYinCA You do realize the Spanish got to California before the British got to Virginia, right?

Ever been to one of the Spanish missions? Or Campo de Cahuenga in Los Angeles, where Mexico surrendered to the United States and the peace treaty was signed for the Mexican/American War? Ever been to Olvera Street, or Old Town San Diego? What about in Northern California, specifically San Francisco, where the oldest Chinatown is located? BTW, Asia is very ancient.

I'll say it again, there's plenty of history and culture here. It just sounds like your biased opinion is getting in the way.
Native Californian here. The thing you have to realize is that the Spanish barely "developed" their colonial territories as compared to the English. The Spanish were about wealth/gold extraction where as the English were more focused on settlement/commerce/mercantilism. As a result, there are far more cultural artifacts in the forms of buildings, cities, etc. in the east than in the west from that early period in the continents development.

Now I do believe NYinCA's statement comparing the east coast to Europe in the same way he/she compared the east coast to California is a HUGE stretch. Far larger a gap in history between the former pair than the latter.....not even close.

Last edited by StreetLegal; 01-09-2015 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 08:44 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
lol you can say whatever you want buddy. look up any global city ranking. DC tops San Francisco in every ranking done. it goes NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, SF. in that order
Really every ranking? What about here Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , or here Miami is second Global Cities | The Wealth Report 2014 . Part of the issue is most people from the Bay Area consider San Jose as part of the same region as San Francisco. Many people commute from one two the other. So if you consider all of San Jose (Silicon Valley etc) to be part of the Bay Area then I would say the Bay Area is definitely more global than DC.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:30 PM

251 posts, read 307,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Driving from Providence, RI to Boston was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever done. Cars everywhere and my average speed was about 50 mph.

Here in Iowa, I usually get on any major highway, set my cruise control at 75 mph and just enjoy the scenery for 3 hours

The drive between Des Moines and Minneapolis is one that I have done hundreds of times and I can pretty set my cruise control and go all the way without ever having to step on my brakes or reset my cruise control. I could never get used to living in the Northeast.

Uh...

(for the record, ive been to Iowa many times and even did RAGBRAI)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.