Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

That is what I find so strange about these St. Patrick's day parades in the South. The South was hardly welcoming to Irish-Catholic immigrants. Heck, the South wasn't welcoming to any immigrants except Scots-Irish. Even New Orleans they had a lynching of 11 Italian immigrants in the early 1900's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
That's probably why the overwhelming majority of Irish immigrants in Savannah are completely assimilated into Southern White culture. Even to this day, one can definitely see the difference in culture between the Irish Americans of the Northeast vs. the Irish Americans of the South.
Are you sure they weren't just Scots-Irish? Even the famous founders of Tobasco sauce were Scotch-Irish Protestants in Louisiana.

I've yet to meet a true Irish-Catholic American in the South. Every single one that told me they were Irish were really just Scots-Irish Protestant. Those Orangemen are not one iota Irish, and have nothing to do with Ireland.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Why are you people trying to apply 300 year old history to the present day? As if the cities up north were always bastions of good will and civil obedience?

FACT: Savannah, Ga. is home to one of the LARGEST (some estimates place it 2nd or 3rd) St. Patrick's Day celebrations in the nation.

ACCEPT IT AND GET OVER IT!

By the way ... Savannah also has a very large and visible gay and lesbian population, and hosts two Gay Pride events annually -- one in the spring, and one in the fall. Guess some of you would have a hard time accepting that as truth as well?!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Are you sure they weren't just Scots-Irish? Even the famous founders of Tobasco sauce were Scotch-Irish Protestants in Louisiana.

I've yet to meet a true Irish-Catholic American in the South. Every single one that told me they were Irish were really just Scots-Irish Protestant. Those Orangemen are not one iota Irish, and have nothing to do with Ireland.
You've obviously never been to Savannah, then, have you?

FYI ... here are just some of the bands marching in Savannah's parade tomorrow. Many of them come from the NYC area! Every year, there are also large contingents of police and firefighters marching in Savannah's parade from Chicago, New York, Boston and Dublin IRELAND! Irish societies in other parts of the nation LOVE participating in Savannah's parade. It's a fun event!

Broome County Celtic Fife and Drums, Broome County, NY
Nassau County Firefighters Fife and Drums, Nassau County, NY
Yonkers Fire Fife and Drums, Yonkers, NY
Rockland County Police Emerald Society Pipes and Drums, Rockland County, NY
The Irish Air Corps Pipes and Drums, Dublin, Ireland
VMI Regimental Band and Pipe Band

The Official Parade Program:
Savannah St. Patrick's Day 2014 - Official Parade Magazine

Last edited by Newsboy; 03-16-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 10:18 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
Quote:
That is what I find so strange about these St. Patrick's day parades in the South. The South was hardly welcoming to Irish-Catholic immigrants. Heck, the South wasn't welcoming to any immigrants except Scots-Irish. Even New Orleans they had a lynching of 11 Italian immigrants in the early 1900's.
Most of the US was not welcoming to immigrants. There are tons of stories out there about how badly immigrants were treated in Northern cities. Like Sacco and Vanzetti. Plus the fact many Northern cities also had laws outlawing Catholicism at one point in time. The lynching in New Orleans in 1891 (only 2 were actually lynched, the rest were shot) was because mafia people got away with killing the police chief (who actually was Irish Catholic) and the citizens were angry.

You really need to stop with these generalizations.

Quote:

The founders of Tabasco were originally from Maryland and arrived in America before Irish Catholic immigration began in large numbers. Many of the same types existed in many Northern cities. If the Tabasco founders were Protestants, then they definitely stuck out in Catholic dominated South Louisiana. I know quite a few Irish Catholics from New Orleans, the city has even had about 4 or 5 Irish Catholic mayors in its history. But of course there are going to be many other Irish Catholics through out the South you have not met. They are not as prevalent in the South as in North but of course they exist and are even pretty prevalent in a few cities.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 03-16-2014 at 10:33 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Most of the US was not welcoming to immigrants. There are tons of stories out there about how badly immigrants were treated in Northern cities. Like Sacco and Vanzetti. Plus the fact many Northern cities also had laws outlawing Catholicism at one point in time. The lynching in New Orleans in 1891 (only 2 were actually lynched, the rest were shot) was because mafia people got away with killing the police chief (who actually was Irish Catholic) and the citizens were angry.

You really need to stop with these generalizations.

The founders of Tabasco were originally from Maryland and arrived in America before Irish Catholic immigration began in large numbers. Many of the same types existed in many Northern cities. If the Tabasco founders were Protestants, then they definitely stuck out in Catholic dominated South Louisiana. I know quite a few Irish Catholics from New Orleans, the city has even had about 4 or 5 Irish Catholic mayors in its history. But of course there are going to be many other Irish Catholics through out the South you have not met. They are not as prevalent in the South as in North but of course they exist and are even pretty prevalent in a few cities.
Thank you for bringing historical fact, accuracy and sanity back into this conversation!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:

Atlanta has a lot actually. Atlanta definitely has a large Irish descended population and I am personally friends with several. But Atlanta has been a magnet for immigrants and transplants for a long time so that is to be expected.

I will tell you all something funny though! I know at least one Irish descended person that does indeed live in Savannah. A good friend of mine several years ago mentioned his mother moved to Savannah, GA. On one of our St. Patrick's day excursions he mentioned that his mother was Irish descent and her surname was Flannigan. They are both from Wisconsin though, where I am sure the Irish heritage is strong.

Flannigan Name Meaning & Flannigan Family History at Ancestry.com

Old 03-17-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why are you people trying to apply 300 year old history to the present day? As if the cities up north were always bastions of good will and civil obedience?

FACT: Savannah, Ga. is home to one of the LARGEST (some estimates place it 2nd or 3rd) St. Patrick's Day celebrations in the nation.

ACCEPT IT AND GET OVER IT!

By the way ... Savannah also has a very large and visible gay and lesbian population, and hosts two Gay Pride events annually -- one in the spring, and one in the fall. Guess some of you would have a hard time accepting that as truth as well?!

I don't think people are saying Savannah is like that now, and I said Savannah was not like say Jackson, MS or Birmingham, AL.

I'm glad to hear Savannah has Pride parades.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:03 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Thank you for bringing historical fact, accuracy and sanity back into this conversation!
Apparently someone never watched the movie Gangs of New York.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 871 times
Default history of St. Patrick's day parades in the USA

Most of the oldest St. Paddy's day parades in America were started by the Scots-Irish. Check out this link...

[url=http://forgedinulster.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/ulster-scots-held-first-st-patricks-day.html]Forged In Ulster - Blog: The Scots-Irish origins of St. Patrick's day parades in America.[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.